Status: Ten Stars; as of March 18th. Thanks so much!

The Photo Effect.

Why Can't I?

All night I couldn’t think. I knew in the back of my mind that I left it in Mr. Baker’s room, but I kept asking myself the same question over and over again. Where did I leave my camera? I guess, I didn’t really want to imagine myself being so stupid and leaving it in a classroom where I had pictures of a certain teacher that would more than likely look through it just to see if they could figure out which student it belonged to.

“Ugh,” I let my head fall in my hands, as I sat on my bed.

I heard a faint knock at my door, and told my intruder to come in. “Hey Riles.” Julianne smiled, as she waited by my door.

“Hey,” I said tediously. “What do you want?”

“To…” She paused, actually seeming nervous for once. “Uh, apologize.” She whispered, bowing her head.

There was a small part of me that wanted to keep her going, make her actually think about what she needed to say sorry for, but I decided against it. I already knew what her apologies were for. They were for being a bitch, constantly making me have to keep her secrets, and just for being her usual Julianne self. By the time she looked back up, and we made eye contact, I let my weaker self show. I smiled, and opened my arms for a hug. Surprised she came over and accepted, I still couldn’t shake the image I now had imprinted in my brain of her and Mr. Baker.

I don’t know what she’s going to have to do for me to forget, but since she is my sister I get I’d have to forgive her sooner or later, right? When she left my bedroom, she looked a thousand times better and yet I remained feeling the same if not worse. Sure she did say she was sorry, but she didn’t know what I wanted her to really apologize for. However, why would I want her to apologize for being attracted to Mr. Baker? It wasn’t her fault if we both had a thing for my teacher. Though I am not too sure that is one thing we should both have in common.

The next day at school, I was dreading it so. I had to get my camera nevertheless, not facing Mr. Baker was totally out of the question. So as I walked down the hall in my flats, loose jeans, and a nice top with my bag over my shoulder I sprinted to my locker which earned me several weird glances. I just ignored them before turning the dial on my lock, swinging it open to grab my books and yanking Emily’s arm as we walked off to class not listening to her rant—ignoring Kael in the process. Oops.

Now as I nibbled on my bottom lip, and walked to fourth period, I wish I had lunch first because then I could go to the nurse and tell her a lie, something about eating something bad but I didn’t have that option anymore as I sighed right before opening the door. None of the kids were inside of the classroom, and I knew that I was on the edge of being late. Mr. Baker had his back facing me, and it looked as if he were gathering some items.

The door shut loudly behind me, and I winced internally. “Good afternoon Ms. Cass.” He turned around to face me. His eyes held an evil glint to them, and his smile was there, yet it was much more… perky. “Class in the auditorium today.”

“Oh, alright—“ I took a step.

“Except, for you. Take a seat,” he motioned to his chair, insistently. “I’ll be right back.”

Would it have been bad to run out? Because that’s all that went through my thoughts. Trying to get out of here unnoticeable. Except when Mr. Baker found me not sitting in his chair he would certainly notice. I squeezed my bag closer to my stomach, and told myself to breathe. Maybe there was a chance he didn’t have my camera and I left it somewhere else. Chances were drastically low, but I still hoped.

The ticking clock was the only noise outside of that from the auditorium that surrounded me. Each second it marked, I felt as if it were going to be the death of me. So I had to patiently sit here and wait for my teacher which only took in all actuality about five minutes. He jogged into the classroom, shut the door and locked it.

“So, am I in—“

“Shh,” He cooed, taking a large step towards me before cupping my hands in his. “I’ve gotten you a gift.”

I felt uneasy about this. What could he possibly have gotten for me? He didn’t even know me all that well, he might as well of given it to Julie because of how close they seem to be. I wouldn’t ever say it to his face, though. Or he might not ever give me what I wanted, which was multiple things at the moment.

“Mr. Baker, I—“ He cut me off again by putting his lips to the corner of my mouth.

He handed me a medium sized box, “Zacky dear, call me Zacky. Open this.”

The box sat in my lap for a good minute. Metallic purple wrapping paper with a black bow. If he wrapped it, then he sure did an awesome job because there wasn’t a mistake anywhere. No crinkles, or crease lines. I almost wanted to ask if I could just leave it be, but when I looked up at Zacky he was using his eyes to tell me to hurry up. So I didn’t keep him waiting.

“Mr. Ba—Zacky,” I corrected. “I can’t accept this.” I said politely, shaking my head in amazement at what was before me.

He nodded his head, and took the object from me. “Yes, you can. And you have to.” He snapped a picture from my new Polaroid camera.

As I watched the photo release itself from the camera, I swallowed again. “Have to?” I repeated.

Mr. Baker waved the photo back and forth, trying to hurry the process of making the photo show itself. Or, rather making me, show up on the picture. The camera was marvelous, though. It looked brand new, but still held a vintage touch to it. Personally, I was in awe. How did he know to get me another camera? He began to blow on the camera, before saying in nonchalance, “Because I got it for you.”

“But you didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to,” He snapped his head up at me. “Don’t like it?” He asked, almost like he was teasing me.

My eyes got wide, and I shook my head, completely forgetting about my real motives. “No. I love it, it’s just…”

“Just what?” He said lowly. “Say it.”

“I have nothing to give you in return,” I squeaked out.

He cackled, before leaning closer to my ear. “Oh but you do Riley. Just erase those other pictures in your camera, and we’re almost even.”

I pulled back and looked at him. Did he have my camera or not? And if he did, why would he ask me to delete them? So I asked if he had it and his smile grew from ear to ear. He pushed my legs away from a drawer, and took out my bulky camera from his bottom shelf. Once he handed it to me he kept whispering that I knew what I had to do. Except I didn’t want to delete them. They were my evidence against Jules, against Mr. Baker. I wanted to use these against him if… I didn’t even know what.

“How are we almost even?” I choked out, as I deleted a picture. “What else could you possibly want? You have Julianne.” I said the last part venomously.

“You. I want you, Riley.” He said with vague emotion, as he handed me the picture he had just taken. I looked so happy. Like there was nothing that could bring me down in that moment, and I soon became jealous of myself. Mr. Baker could make me happy, he does make me happy so why didn’t I agree to be with him?
♠ ♠ ♠
Very Important!

So... this story got reported. First thing I'd like to say is I am really sorry if I had offended anyone when I misused a word in a previous chapter. It was not intentional. Secondly, I just wish the person who did it could have told me through a constructive comment, because when you get reported, it's scary because you ask yourself 'what have I done?' Therefore, I appreciate whom ever did it because they helped fix a mistake, but I just hope my readers feel comfortable enough to tell me when I've done so. Thank-you so much!

On a lighter note. . .
Did you like this chapter? I hope so, because I wrote it very carefully. And... I have another A7X story, if you'd like to check it out. I should be posting the first chapter(s) tonight. It's called: Stranded.