Status: Ten Stars; as of March 18th. Thanks so much!

The Photo Effect.

She's The Pretty Twin.

It’s Monday again. Got to love those Mondays, huh? My wardrobe consisted of a nice pretty shirt underneath a dark grey sweater with some Capri’s. California’s weather was always threatening so I decided to dress accordingly. The sun was still outside, but it had clouds surrounding it as I looked outside of my window at a quarter to seven this morning.

As I put on a dab of make-up, not really seeing the purpose behind it, I noticed how slow I was at getting ready this morning. But I knew why. I wasn’t exactly too keen on being at school today, if you catch my drift. I put my hair into a messy bun, straightening my bangs before grabbing all of my essentials. Since I had gotten paid on Friday, totally forgetting because of certain events, I decided to grab some snacks from the local market right before the school.

The senior parking lot was crowded like always, so I settled for a spot next to Kael’s massive truck which was conveniently available. His parents spoiled Kael ever since his older brother got caught up in some bad things and ruined the family name. But who was I to judge? Opening the back door to my car, I first placed on my messenger bag, grabbed my books and then my little plastic bag full of my snacks. Today was just going to be one of those days.

Not only was it going to be a hard day because I walked into school late, but it took me forever to open my damn locker. A few students who obviously didn’t care about school were wandering the halls, but I paid them no mind as I shoved my things inside and made it to Spanish. Emily gave me a look in which I shrugged. I took my place behind her; Mr. Johnson remaining awkwardly quiet until I sat my ass down. I’ll really have to thank him one day for all that he does for me.

“As I was saying,” He jested, turning back to the white board to write a list down. “We’re going to be taking the next two weeks to learn some new vocabulary. I’m tired of reading the same things over and over again,” Mr. J scanned the room before proceeding. What was he expecting? Us to holler out that we were excited to learn some more? “So start writing.”

Our eyes connected before I yelled and gave my salute, “sure thing Mr. J.”

I was thankful that Mr. Johnson was my first period teacher and that he actually liked me because with me being late, he didn’t bombard me with questions like any other teacher would. Instead he ignored it, but since this wasn’t a common occurrence I saw why he was giving me a chance.

When class was over, I should have know that Emily would be down my throat about why I was so late. Yet despite her being my best friend, I couldn’t even tell her what was going on. Part of me felt she either wouldn’t believe it (not me but it) or she would harass me to stay away from Mr.—Ah! Zacky. It was even plausible she’d end up doing both, as contradicting as it is. Not believe that Mr. Baker is capable of sleeping with his students because he is in fact a teacher, but then try to keep me away in case it were true.

“So,” She huffed, folding her arms over her chest. “You’re not going to tell me why you’re so late?”

“Uh, for the second time, no.” I said bluntly. She looked hurt, so I rolled my head and groaned. “Em, I’ll tell you when the time is right okay?”

She rested her head against mine, “promise?”

“I swear,” I giggled at her Emily-ish ways. That was until I saw the devil’s mistress heading straight for us and didn’t have enough restraint to stop the next words that came out, “ugh. Speak of the devil.”

Emily looked over at me, clearly confused. She knew that my sister and I ‘purposefully’ avoided one another in school, but now she was parading our way. I wasn’t going to shun her, either. In fact, I was enthused as to what she wanted. So I put on my best smirk and waited for her to fill the empty space.

Her eyes searched mine, and I had to tell myself to be strong. “Riley, can we talk?”

“In school?” I faked surprise as I held my hand over my chest. “Why, older sister of mine wouldn’t that just be treacherous of your beautiful reputation?”

She sighed. “Cut the crap Riley. I’m here now, aren’t I? So can we talk…” She looked over at Emily, unaware of disgust on her face. Julianne never liked Emily for some reason, “alone?”

Emily left without saying a word. More than likely off to her next class. My sister and I stood there, just staring at each other until she started up again. “Why are you being so bitchy lately?” She asked, daringly in my opinion.

My jaw went slack. “Me? Are you kidding? I have so much against you Julianne—“

“If you tell Mom and Dad, I’ll make your life miserable. I am supposed to be with Zachary. Not you! I’m the pretty twin, damn it.” She waved her hand dismissively in my direction like saying I wasn’t good enough for him.

I couldn’t say anything. It was true. She had me overpowered, per usual. So I toned down my rage that was that of a tiger ready to pounce and steadily asked, “just answer me this…” I blinked trying to better formulate the question. “How’d you even get involved with my teacher? It’s all I want to know.”

She gave me an evil grin and I should have known better than to give away at what was eating me alive because now she would have this, and it was going to drive me insane not knowing the answer. “Well,” she said smoothly. “Wouldn’t you love to know?”

Second, third period I had been asked on several instances if I was alright. I assured my teachers that I was just tired, followed by what I thought was a convincing smile. All of my papers had doodles galore. Most of them were stick figures of Julianne and ways I could kill her, figuratively speaking of course. I even got creative and drew a scene resembling Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Julianne dies because she thinks Romeo—Mr. Baker—is dead, but he was actually meeting with me and confessing his love for me. I think I’ll save this.

To myself, I was merely a hopeless romantic, but if others saw this drawing they’d surely say it was just downright sad. Part of me would believe them, on the other hand most of me would give them the finger and move on.

I saw Kael talking with one of his friends Nate, by the corner just around Mr. Baker’s classroom. My wave to them was effortless, and so was my smile. I just wanted today to be over, so I could sleep things off and wake up to a new day.

“Hey, Ri!” He said.

“Hey Kael, Nate.” My tone was dull, boring.

The both of them looked at one another before Nate asked, “you alright twin two?”

Ever since I’ve known Nate, he’s been calling me that. Sort of like thing one and thing two from the wonderful man that is Dr. Seuss. Normally, I wouldn’t take offense but today I wanted to rip his head off for reminding me that I was a twin. Though, I didn’t and kept walking, nodding my head.

When I walked into Mr. Baker’s classroom it was empty again, but this time Mr. Baker was nowhere to be found. So, I took that as a sign to walk into the auditorium and take a seat at the very top. The lights were low, and Mr. Baker had immediately started going over the movie or whatever the class had watched the previous week. He was doing a mighty fine job, so here I was, all by myself in the darkness wasting away fifty five minutes of my life.

Boy, did he look rough. His hair was flat against his head and he looked tired, from what I could tell. He was wearing a normal attire of jeans and a shirt with shoes. If he didn’t have all that body art, he could have been mistaken for a student. Yeah, a thirty year old student that I am irrevocably going to be attracted to. It hadn’t even been a full day at school yet, and I was already drilling nails into my skull from him not talking to me, or looking at me, or making no form of contact.

Then again, it hadn’t even been a day so what was I thinking?

“Riley, can you come down stairs for a minute?” I heard my mother call.

I had been doing some homework, and put that aside before getting off my bed. My sweat pants were wrapped around my feet from them being too baggy, so I felt the need to slide into the kitchen as an entrance. “You called?” I said. I wasn’t sure where all this ‘emotion’ was coming from but it was there.

“I have some news kiddo,” my Dad said, looking from my mother to me. “I’m going to be gone for a week. My business needs me up in Seattle to help out with the new building.”

Pursing my lips, I stuck a hand to my hip. “Well that’s great Dad, good luck and be safe?” I questioned, not really caring if my Dad was going to be gone for work. I’d miss him no doubt but if he had to then duty calls.

“Yeah, come back here.” He said as I turned to walk away. “You know how I feel about airplanes, so your mother is going to be driving with me up there. A friend of mine will drive me back down here, but that means you and your sister will be home alone for a few days.” His eyes searched mine for anything that would prevent him and my mother from following through with their plans.

“Let me guess, you think Julianne and I will kill each other?” I forced out, gulping. It was true. “Dad, c’mon. We’ll be fine.”

“No skipping out on school?” He glared playfully.

I crossed an ‘X’ over my heart and answered, “you have my promise that I won’t.”

“Good,” He smiled and stood to come give me a hug. “Now for the hard twin.” He chuckled with a wink, and retreated for the stairs.

“Gosh, it feels like I haven’t seen much of your sister lately.” Mom said, leaning her palms against the countertops. “Have you?”

I scoffed. “Too much.”

She gave me a look and I assured her that it what I’d said was in good terms. Though she acted as if she didn’t believe me. Didn’t blame her—like she told me, she was a teenager once.

Thursday morning. It was our Friday because the teachers had a data day on the real Friday. This morning, I made sure to look good. I straightened all of my hair, and put on just the right amount of make-up. I stretched a white camisole followed by a black shirt over my head, and squeezed into some dark holey jeans. A few twirls in front of my mirror and I was ready to go.

On the way to school, I was singing along to a couple of songs. Being on time never felt so grand, either. For some reason I was in a really good mood. No real interaction with my History teacher for a few days really did me some justice. Though, I cannot say the same for him because Mr. Baker looked exceptionally tired or distraught. Maybe if he wasn’t so preoccupied with fucking so many students, he’d have some energy. When we passed one another down the hallway, I felt a tug at my wrist.

“Why didn’t you text me back last night?”

I grumbled at myself. “I’m sorry Emily. I was just busy with homework. I’ve been slacking.”

“It’s fine… I forgive you.” She clicked her tongue. “Special occasion?”

“Oh yeah, you should know that I have a hot date after school so I waste my efforts to look nice for school instead of just going home and getting ready.”

I should have seen that slap coming, but I still laughed afterwards. Instincts made me turn back to see if Mr. Baker was anywhere in sight and for once I was glad he wasn’t.

Though, just before third period that didn’t stop him from waking by Emily, Kael and I. “Ms. Cass, Ms. Hanson class will be in the library today.”

Our eyes met briefly, and I felt as I did the first time we had interacted. He wasn’t so jagged looking as he was this morning, and the natural smile that graced his lips was welcoming. Emily smiled back but I kept my focus on the tiled floor. For once in a couple weeks, I felt giddy to go to his classes today.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I was really happy with the feedback so I decided to whip up a chapter.
It's sort of lame, but not every chapter can be exciting, right? xD