Status: Taking a break to get things together again

It's a Good Year for a ***

Chapter 33

I rub my eyes and sit up. The sound of someone calling my name pulls me from my sleep. I look towards the door and then down to her. She’s whimpering in her sleep and moving her legs a little.
“Hey. Wake up it’s just a nightmare.” I say softly. A sudden scream emanates from her body, taking me by surprise I fall off the side of the bed. I scramble back to her and grab her off the bed. Her screams continue even while I hold her close to me. Her skin is so warm against mine as I pick her up, panic setting in. She jerks back and forth in my arms as I walk to the door, kicking it open. The door to shadows office swings open as I step into the hallway, her screams becoming louder.

“She won’t wake up” I shout to him as he motions for me to come into the office.
“Lay her on the floor.”
“What? Why?”
“Just fucking do it.” He growls.

I lay her on the floor in the middle of his office and step back. He kneels down beside her and grabs her head, placing his hand on her forehead.

“Call Johnny. Tell them to get their asses home.” He says as he pulls his own phone out and steps into the hallway.
“What up?” he slurs, answering after three rings.
“Get your ass home now!” I shout over her screaming “I don’t know how to fucking help her.”
“Be there in 5 minutes.” He says, suddenly sobering up.

Matt walks back into the room looking annoyed. He leans against the wall and runs a hand over his face. I stand next to him, unsure of what I can do to help her. I slide down the wall and sit on the floor, helplessly listening to her screams of pain. All the noise brings the puppy running into the room, he makes a beeline to her, but before he can reach her side, I scoop him up in my arms. He turns his head and growls at me, already protective of her. I smile at that; he’s gonna be a great guard dog when he gets a little bigger.

“They’ll be here in a few.” I say to Matt as I pet Stallion on the head
“The doc will be here soon too. She may have a fever, she feels really warm.”
“I noticed when I picked her up, she’s drenched in sweat.”
“Go put that dog up, he doesn’t need to be roaming around freely when the guys get here, he might bite one of em.”
“I know. It’s funny how protective he is already. We’ve only had him for a week.” I say as I stand up and carry him to my room, locking him safely into his crate.
Walking back to the office, I lean over the rail when I hear the front door open. Johnny rushes down the hall and up the stairs to me.

“What’s wrong?” he asks, his eyes filled with worry.
“She won’t stop screaming.” I say as I point to Shad’s office.

I follow him in and watch as he leans down and touches her face. She jerks away from him and cries out even more, moving her arms and legs to try to keep him away.

“How’d you get her o stop last time?” he asks, his attention solely on Shadows.
“I don’t know. I just held onto her very tight and she went limp in my arms. Then she woke up.”
“Did she say what happened?” he asks as he stares back at her
“Said she can’t fight off the monster, he’s too strong. He comes in the night when everyone’s asleep.”
“When the fuck where you going to tell me about this?” I shout at him, my anger boiling up.
“When I had the time to discus it with you properly. Now is not the time to talk about it.” He growls at me.
“Shadows, you try to calm her down again. If she keeps screaming like this the neighbors will call the cops.”
“Fuck that. I’ll calm her down.” I say as I walk towards her.
“No.” Johnny objects. “He calmed her down the first time, let him try it again.”
“Why?” I demand.
“I’m sorry. Who’s the fucking expert here? Oh, that’s right it’s me. Now back the fuck off so I can try to help her.”

I bite my tongue and back off as he said. I watch as Shadows leans down and picks her up, bear hugging her tight into his chest. She struggles, kicking back and forth, but after a few seconds she goes limp in his arms and stops screaming.