Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

Is Say Goodbye

That weekend, John and I had our first date.

I was a complete mess, and called Kelsi over for help. When she stepped foot in my room, and saw the havoc I had put it in, she had a laughing fit.

“Ketely, what am I going to do with you?” she teased, shaking her head and walking over to my closet.

“I don’t know,” I sighed, taking a seat on my bed. “Where did you and Kenny go on y’alls first date?”

“We went to In-N-Out,” she laughed.

“Were you as nervous as I am?” I asked, biting down on my thumb.

“Uh, I wasn’t actually. I probably should have been, but I’ve just always felt … comfortable, with Kenny.” She turned around and tossed a pair of jean shorts and a mint green and white boatneck top in my face. “Wear that with a pair of flip flops.”

“You are a savior,” I stated before stripping.

“I know. I should start charging for my services,” she joked, jumping on my bed. “So, where are you and John going?”

I slipped the top over my head, blowing my bangs from my face. “Just to the movies.”

“Are y’all actually gonna watch a movie or make out in the back like two horny teenagers with years of built up sexual frustration?” she smirked, giving me a wink.

I laughed and threw a pillow at her. “Shut up, smart ass.”

I coated my eyes in eyeliner and mascara and glossed my lips in a light pink color. I doused myself in perfume, before looking at Kelsi. She nodded her head and we made our way downstairs.

“So, does your dad know you’re going out with John?”

I shook my head. “Not yet. I don’t – I don’t really know how to tell him.”

She laughed. “It’s not gonna be easy, because he’s your dad and you’re his only little girl, but he’ll get used to it eventually. It’s really John who needs to be worried. I mean, not only does he have your dad to worry about, but Danny, too.”

“Yeah, but it’s not like Danny’s ever around,” I said, not bothering to hide the hurt in my voice.

She sighed and pulled me into a hug. “Have fun, okay?” I nodded my head and she smiled. “I expect full details tonight!”

I laughed and opened the door for her. “I’ll call you later, Kels.”

I watched her get into her car and drive away before closing the door. My eyes darted to the clock, seeing that it was six-fifty. John was supposed to be here at seven, and I felt my nerves acting up as I realized that left me with a ten minute timeframe.

I fiddled around with my phone, attempting to waste time, but each minute felt like its own hour. I slapped a hand over my face.

“Calm down, Ketely, just calm down.”

I drew in a long breath of air and went back to the game on my phone. When it finally hit seven o’clock, I kept glancing out of the window, my heart pounding with every sound of a car. I twirled a strand of hair around my finger, trying my best to have patience.

Seven-oh-five.

Seven-ten.

Seven-fifteen.

Tears began sprouting to my eyes, although I knew it was pathetic to cry. But – but fuck, this was my very first date, and John had stood me up. I couldn’t help but to feel hurt. I stood up from the window and tossed myself down on the couch, letting my sobs echo throughout the house.

I was about ready to call John and give him a piece of my mind when I heard the doorbell ring. I stood up and went to answer it, not bothering to wipe the running mascara staining my cheeks. When I pulled the door open, I watched as John’s smiling lips fell to a frown.

“Ketely,” he said, and I could almost hear the apology in his voice. I snorted and went to shut the door in his face, but he stopped me. “Please just hear me out.” I rolled my eyes but nodded my head, wanting to hear his explanation. “I know that I’m late, but Pat got stuck at the mall without a ride, and I had to go get him. I should have called, and I’m sorry.”

I wiped my eyes and sniffled. “I just – I thought you weren’t going to show up.”

He shook his head, pulling me into his arms. “I may be an asshole sometimes, but I’m not a complete dick.”

I laughed and pulled away from him. “We missed the movie.”

He glanced down at his watch and shook his head. “We still have ten minutes.”

“It takes fifteen minutes just to get there,” I argued.

He smirked and grabbed my hand. “Just come on.”

I yanked the door close as John pulled me to his truck. Once we were both in, he backed out of my driveway and we began speeding down the street. “Please don’t kill us.”

He chuckled. “I have amazing driving skills. We won’t die.” I gave him a look and he just laughed again. “Just trust me, woman.”

I sighed but nodded my head. I had to hold onto the dash a few times when John would make a sharp turn and when he would jerk to a stop, but he seemed to be used to driving like a maniac. When we finally pulled into the parking lot of the theater, I jumped out of the truck, grateful to finally be on solid ground.

“You’re wasting time!” he rushed before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the entrance.

“You shouldn’t be allowed to drive,” I stated once we reached the ticket line.

He laughed. “Don’t deny my awesome driving skills, Ketely.”

“I thought I was going to die!” I shrieked, but I couldn’t hold back my laughter.

He smirked. “You would have died with a really hot guy, though.”

“Really? Where was he?” I joked, causing John to pout. I laughed and wrapped my arms around him. “I’m only kidding, O’Callaghan.”

“You damn right you are, Morrison,” he laughed before ordering our tickets. Once we had them, we went to the concession stand. “Popcorn?”

“Of course,” I nodded.

He gave my hand a gentle squeeze before leaving my side to walk to the cashier, who happened to be a beautiful blond and who smiled widely when she saw John standing in front of her. I tried not to be jealous, but I couldn’t help it. She was batting her fucking eyes at him and when he handed her the money he owed, she made sure their skin came in contact. I wanted to walk up there and bitch-slap that pretty little smile right off her face.

“I got you a coke, I hope you don’t mind,” John said as he walked up to me, holding the tub of popcorn with his teeth. I would have laughed any other time, but I wasn’t in the mood.

“Yeah, that’s fine. Thank you.” I took the cup from his hand and we began making our way down the hallway in which our theater was located.

The room was semi-packed, but John and I managed to snag a couple of seats in the corner of the very back. I grabbed a handful of popcorn, popping a few into my mouth, trying to ignore the stare John was giving me. After a minute, I finally looked at him, arching my brows.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Boy, you don’t miss a thing do you?”

I could see a familiar glint of anger in his eyes. “I didn’t do anything wrong, so I don’t know why you’re pissed off at me. I thought we were past me being late to pick you up?”

“I’m not pissed at you and we are past that,” I stated.

“O-kay,” he said slowly. “Then what’s going on? I can tell something is bothering you.”

I sighed, knowing he wasn’t going to drop conversation until he got his answer. “That girl at the stand …”

“What about her?” he questioned, furrowing his brows.

“Never mind. I’m just being stupid,” I said, turning away from him.

“Are – are you jealous?” I could literally hear in the smile in his voice. “Morrison, are you jealous?” he asked again, sticking his face in front of mine.

I pushed him away, rolling my eyes. “Fuck off.”

He began laughing. “Oh my God, you are!”

“Like I said, fuck off.” I sipped on my drink, hoping the cold liquid would cool the heat in my cheeks.

“Awe, my girlfriend is jealous,” he cooed, pinching my cheeks.

“Bite me.”

He pressed his lips near my ear. “I can do that,” he whispered, his breath tickling my skin.

I shivered at the contact. “Shut up, John.”

I felt him smile before he placed a kiss on my cheek and grabbed my hand. “You don’t need to be jealous, Ketely. I’m here with you and not her,” he stated before letting go of my hand to grab his drink.

I grinned as the lights dimmed, because what he said was true. He was here with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
- First Date

It took me awhile to get this chapter out, and I'm sorry, guys! I had another pre-written chapter that was supposed to take place, but I felt like it was rushing into their problems too quickly, so I have to start writing new chapters before that one can take place. I don't even know if that makes sense to y'all, but yeah. And the real Ketely said I was depriving her, so I figured today was a good day to finally update. Lol.

Thank you all for being amazing and reading/commenting/subscribing!

<3 Roxie