Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

I Love You

I met Miguel Vasquez the first day of my junior year.

He was new to Arizona and to school, having moved from Los Angeles, California. He had short, spiked jet black hair and these amazing deep green eyes that popped from his naturally tanned skin. A scar adorned his left cheek, giving him a rugged, but charming look.

U.S. History happened to be my first class of the day, and was also a class I shared with John. Mr. Reed, a teacher who went strictly by the rules, had already made a chart of assigned seats, causing everyone to clutter around the overhead projection, attempting to find their rightful chair.

"You're in the back, Ketely," John told me, slight disappointment in his voice.

"Where are you seated?" I asked, trying to see the chart.

"In the back but on the left side of the room. You're on the right."

"Awe, it'll be okay," I said in a childish voice, pinching his cheek.

He laughed and swatted my hand away before placing a kiss on my cheek. He walked me to my seat, and after thanking him, he walked away, going to sit down in his own chair.

I was busy scribbling on a blank piece of paper when I noticed someone take a seat in the chair beside me. I turned in my seat, seeing a slightly shy boy with his head bowed.

"Hi," I smiled, hoping to bring his spirits up.

He slowly lifted his eyes, looking at me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't attracted to him. "Hi," he smiled back, and I could hear the slight sound of a Spanish accent in his voice.

"I'm Ketely Morrison," I told him, holding my hand out.

He let out a low chuckle and shook it. "Miguel Vasquez."

"Are you new here? I don't think I've seen you around before?" I asked, not remembering ever seeing his face.

He nodded his head. "I moved here in June from Los Angeles."

"Wow, a city boy," I joked, causing him to crack a smile. "What made you move to boring Tempe?"

"Eh, my parents got divorced back in April, and my mom needed to start some place new. Arizona was close and Tempe was small," he explained.

"Understandable. Well, how're you liking it here so far?"

He shrugged, laying his hands on the tabletop. "It's a nice place, but it's not home, you know?"

I nodded my head. "I get what you mean. Have you made any friends?"

"Not really. But this is the first day of school so we'll see," he said.

I smiled. "Well then, consider me your first Tempe friend."

He laughed. "Gracias, Ketely."

The way he rolled his 'r' and the way my name left his tongue made my insides melt. But before I could say anything more, Mr. Reed had taken his place in the front of the room, beginning on the rules of his classroom.

When the period ended, John came over to my desk, ready to walk me to my next class. I saw Miguel studying his schedule, and it reminded me of my first day - how easy it was to get lost.

"What's your next class?" I asked him.

"Uh, Algebra 2 with Mrs. Simpson," he stated.

I nodded my head before turning to John, who looked rather annoyed. "Why don't you go ahead, babe. I'll help Miguel find Mrs. Simpson's room."

"You don't know where her room is?" he asked Miguel, not paying attention to me.

"I'm new here," Miguel told him, looking a bit uncomfortable.

John let out a soft sigh before giving me a peck on the lips. "I'll see you at lunch," he told me.

I nodded my head, smiling. "See you at lunch."

John walked out of the room as Miguel stood. We made our way out of the room and into the crowded hallway.

"I don't think your novio was too happy back there," Miguel said, looking at me.

"My what?" I laughed, taking a left down the hallway.

"Your boyfriend," he clarified.

I nodded my head, knowing he was telling the truth. "He'll get over it. Don't worry about John," I told him.

He chuckled. "If you say so, linda."

I came to a stop right outside of his class. "Linda?"

"Uh, yeah. It's like beautiful in Spanish," he said.

I smiled, feeling a blush sweep across my cheeks. "Oh. Well thank you, Miguel." He started laughing and I arched my brows, as if to ask him 'what?'

"Just the way you say my name. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to laugh," he apologized, and I could tell he was trying to suppress a smile.

I laughed lightly. "It's okay. I'll see you at lunch, since all juniors eat together. I hope you like it here."

"Thank you, Ketely," he said, giving me a short hug before walking inside the classroom.

I stood there, lost in the feeling of how his strong arms felt around me before hearing the bell ring.

"Shit," I cursed under my breath, realizing I was now going to be late to my own class.

________________________________________________________________

“He doesn’t have any business giving you his shirt to wear, Ketely!” John fumed, trying to keep his voice low as we stood in the crowded hallway.

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. “I spilled ketchup on my shirt and he was just being nice, John! For fuck sakes, it doesn’t mean anything! I wear Gary’s shirts all the time and you never give me shit for it!”

“Because Garrett doesn’t have a fucking hard-on for you!”

I raised my hand to slap his face but thought better of it. Instead, I shook my head and let out a breath. “You know what; I’m done with this conversation.”

Before I could get too far, he grabbed my hand. “Do you like him?”

What?”

“Do you like Miguel, Ketely?” he asked again, looking me straight in the eyes.

“I’m not going to answer that,” I scoffed.

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. “Can you just say ‘yes’ or ‘no’?”

“I could, but I can’t believe that you’re really asking me this question.”

“Well what am I supposed to think, Ketely!? The kid’s been here two months and you’ve practically been ignoring me for those two months!”

I narrowed my eyes. “He doesn’t have anyone to talk to, John! His mom’s working three jobs to support him and his little sister! He’s been taking shit from practically everyone here, including you! So excusing fucking me for having a heart and being a good friend!” I seethed, not caring that the bell had just rung and that I would be late to class for what was probably the third time this week.

His facial expression softened and I could tell he felt bad. “I’m sorry, Key,” he apologized.

I shook my head, running my hands through my hair, feeling agitated. “You have to start trusting me, John. I – we – aren’t going to work if you can’t do that.”

“I do trust you,” he stated.

“Clearly you don’t,” I argued, tilting my head to the side.

He let out a large sigh. “This isn’t how I wanted to do this.”

“Do what?” I questioned, my stomach suddenly churning.

He grabbed my hands, holding them close to his chest. His green orbs locked into my eyes and I could feel my heart skip a beat. “Ketely, I – I – fuck this shouldn’t be so hard!” he said, arguing with himself.

“Please just tell me, John,” I said, fearing the worst.

He licked his lips. “I love you, Ketely. I’m in love with you.”

A smile broke out instantly on my face and I practically jumped into his arms, giving him a kiss. “I’m in love with you, too.”

He smiled and gave me another peck on the lips. I saw his eyes glance behind me and the smile fell from his face. “Uh, as much as I love the position we’re in, Mr. Johnson looks like he wants to kill us.”

I laughed and jumped down from his arms, standing back on my feet. “Later,” I winked.

He smirked and nodded his head before turning around, going to walk to his class. I began making my way towards my own class, having to pass Mr. Johnson to do so. I couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face, although I didn’t want to look too happy as I knew he had the ability to write me up for being tardy.

“You’re too late to be happy, Miss Morrison,” he stated as I walked past him.

I rolled my eyes. “I’m sorry, Mr. Johnson.”

But I wasn’t sorry. My boyfriend had just told me he loved me. I couldn’t have given two shits about being late to class.
♠ ♠ ♠
Introducing Miguel! Hahaa. Anyone automatically dislike him?
If you haven't noticed, Ketely and John are that one high school couple who you've
Probably seen arguing in the hallways and breaking up and making up every other week.
We're a little more than half-way through with the story! At least, I think so.
Sometimes ideas pop up and extend the story, so we shall see!
Thank you guys for being amazing as always! I loved all of the feedback I got last chapter!

<3 Roxie