Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

More Than Songs Can Say

“John’s been asking for you all night, Jewel,” Garrett informed me as we weaved our way through Tim’s house.

The house was a bit stuffy and somewhat overcrowded, but I’d quickly learned that this was the norm for house parties in Tempe. The smell of cigarettes and alcohol lingered in the air, and every so often I’d get a waft of cologne or perfume.

“Where is he?” I asked, arching my brows as we reached the kitchen.

“Upstairs. Kelsi’s been trying to talk to him,” he told me as he twisted the cap off of a beer bottle before handing it to me. “What happened anyway?”

I sighed and chugged as much of the alcohol as I could fit in one swallow. “I’ll give you one guess.”

“Miguel?”

I nodded my head. “He asked me to watch his little sister Anita, who, by the way, is the most adorable little girl in the world. John threw a bitch fit and we basically had a screaming match on the phone until I finally hung up.” I circled the rim of the bottle with my thumb. “I don’t even know why I came, really. I didn’t do anything wrong, Gary.”

Garrett gave me a sympathetic look before swinging an arm around my shoulders. “I know you didn’t, Jewel, and so does John. If he thought otherwise, he wouldn’t be upstairs moping around and drinking his guilt away.” He let out a sigh. “I don’t know how you guys do it.”

“Do what?” I questioned before taking another sip of my beer.

“Stay together. I mean, I’m just a friend but I already feel drained just from dealing with John today. You guys go through this, like, every week,” he said.

I bit down on my bottom lip, my eyes falling to the floor. Garrett had a point: John and I were a draining couple. We’d gone around in circles so many times I’d lost count. We were perfect one minute and a complete mess the next, but that’s also what made our relationship so thrilling; we never got bored with each other.

“I’m gonna go upstairs, okay?” Garrett nodded his head and I placed a kiss on his cheek. “Save me a dance, big boy.”

He laughed and nodded his head. “You got it, babe,” he winked.

I laughed and rolled my eyes before going back out into the living room and making my way toward the staircase. Getting up the stairs proved to be a challenge, as there were couples on nearly every other step making out, not understanding that people actually used the stairs to walk. I sighed as I finally reached the top.

I came to a stop outside of the door with a ‘Caution: Partying’ sign across it: Tim’s room. There wasn’t a doubt in my mind that this was the room John was in, and as I leaned my ear against the wood, my guess was confirmed when I heard Kelsi’s voice talking, sounding frustrated. I let out a small laugh before turning the knob, opening the door.

Both heads turned my way, and I saw a look of relief wash over Kelsi’s face. She stood up immediately and walked towards me.

“He’s had a shit load to drink. Good luck,” she told me, giving me a pat on the shoulder.

I laughed and nodded my head. “Thanks.” I waited until the door was closed before walking over to Tim’s bed, taking a seat beside John.

“Hey, baby,” he slurred, trying to give me a smile.

I rolled my eyes. “Hey, John.”

He let out a burp before taking a sip of tequila from the bottle in his hands. “Wh – who told you to come?”

“Garrett.”

“But why?”

I sighed, already feeling aggravated. “Because you’re acting like a moron, John. Give me that,” I stated, reaching for the bottle. He pulled his hands away, shaking his head.

“’S mine,” he grinned.

I bit my tongue and put on a smile. “I’ll give you a kiss if you give me the bottle,” I offered, leaning towards him suggestively.

His eyes lit up and he immediately passed the bottle my way. I wasted no time in snatching it from his hands and putting it on the floor, away from his reach.

“Hey, you lied!” he whined.

“Oh, I did?” I shrugged.

He sighed and fell onto his back on the bed. “My head is spinning, Morrison.”

“Mine’s, too,” I sighed.

He turned his head towards me, suddenly looking more sober than before. “When did things get so complicated?”

I laughed. “John, things between us have always been complicated.”

He chuckled lightly and nodded his head. “I guess you’re right.”

I grabbed his left hand, cradling it between my own hands. “John, I love you.”

“I love you, too, Ketely. More than I can even understand,” he stated.

“What do you mean?” I probed, looking straight at him.

He licked his lips and his eyes averted toward the ceiling. “I don’t know. I just – I look at you and I see a glimpse of my future. But, I – I don’t even know what my future is, Ketely and it’s just all so confusing,” he said, a genuinely distraught look on his face.

I laughed and laid beside him, running my fingertips over his exposed collarbone. “We have plenty of time to figure out our futures, John. There’s no need to be in a rush.”

“We’re going to be seniors next year, Key. Doesn’t that put some kind of pressure on you?” he asked, looking me in the eyes.

“It does, but I’m not stressing out over it, John. I just want to focus on making it through this year before I even start worrying about next year,” I told him.

He gave me a small smile. “I’m sorry I’ve been such an asshole.”

I laughed and gave him a quick kiss on the lips. “It’s okay. I’m kind of used to it,” I joked.

He laughed and gave my hand a gentle squeeze. “Feel like going back downstairs?”

“I do. I made Gary promise he’d save me a dance.”

He rolled his eyes, a smile on his lips. “Let’s go then.”

_____________________________________________________

The rest of the night had gone by seemingly perfect. It felt nice to just enjoy hanging out with my friends and watch them make complete asses of themselves, thanks to the large amount of alcohol they had consumed. By the end of the night, Tim’s house was nearly in ruins, but he didn’t seem to mind it much.

We had all taken to gathering around a fire in his backyard, Jared and Kennedy strapped with guitars, encouraging random sing-a-longs. It wasn’t until John was handed Jared’s guitar, that everyone really started paying attention.

I had learned many nights ago that John had a gifted singing voice; that came as no surprise to me. However, the minute he opened his mouth, lyrics of Tom Petty’s ’I Won’t Back Down’ pouring out, everyone’s jaw seemed to drop in amazement.

Hey, baby, there ain’t no easy way out. Hey, I will stand my ground. And I, won’t back down. Well I know what’s right, I got just one life. In a world that keeps on pushin’ me around, but I’ll stand my ground. And I won’t back down …” John sang, his voice low and raspy, creating chills down my spine.

That was the night things changed – really changed.

That was the night Kennedy, John, Garrett, Pat and Jared formed their band.

That was the night I began losing my best friends and the boy who held my heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, you guys. I feel like these last few chapters have been shit, but I'm trying to make this read-worthy again! The good news is, now we're getting into the nitty gritty! Lol. I think there's a couple more chapters that need to happen before John and Ketely's big falling out, which will then lead back to where we started - John's wedding. Again, I apologize for these shit chapters! I thank you guys for being amazing readers, though! I'm always surprised with the amount of love y'all give this story! And, welcome, new subscribers! Hahaa. :)

<3 Roxie