Status: Completed :)

Driven to Distraction

Why Am I Gonna Let You Try

The rest of my summer had been a blur, really. I hung out with Kelsi as much as I could, and somehow, I’d even managed to become close to Garrett, who was both John and Kennedy’s best friend. Despite knowing about how much John loathed my very existence, Garrett was still willing to be my best friend, and it was a great feeling knowing that our friendship got under his skin.

I had also … grown, during the summer. I was now standing at 5’8”, which made me slightly taller than most girls in my grade. My legs had gotten longer, and my waist had widened a bit, giving me curves. My boobs had also gotten a whole cup bigger, and while that would have been pleasing to most girls, it wasn’t to me. I hated how big they were getting, but there wasn’t exactly anything that I could do to stop them. My brown hair had grown to the middle of my back, and that was really about the only change on my body that I was happy with. Every other part of me felt like it was growing too quick.

When my alarmed sounded for the first day of my sophomore year, I groaned in protest and pulled the covers over my head. After a minute of the constant beeping, though, I couldn’t take it anymore and I slammed my hand down on the button, silencing the machine.

I did my morning stretches and took a shower, and brushed my teeth and washed my face. After blow drying my hair, I walked to my closet and eyed all of my clothes, wishing that I had picked out an outfit the night before, like Kelsi had told me to. After nearly fifteen minutes of just staring into my closet, I decided on wearing a pair of light blue jean shorts, with a black Guns N Roses tank top. After straightening my hair and applying eyeliner and mascara to my eyes, I slid on my all black Converse shoes and ran down the stairs, waiting for Kelsi’s car to pull into my driveway; she had been lucky enough to get her license before the summer ended.

With my dad already having left for work, I was alone, but it was something I was used to. I grabbed a cereal bar, munching on it idly while watching the morning news. Killings, fires, memorials to fallen soldiers, and weather forecasts … there was nothing really new there.

When I heard a horn sound, I grabbed my backpack and ran to the door, locking it before making my way to Kelsi’s silver Ford Explorer. After hopping into the passenger seat, we took off towards school.

“So are you nervous at all?” she asked.

I shrugged, leaning my head against the window. “I’m too tired to really be nervous.”

She laughed. “What time did you fall asleep?”

“Sometime around five, I think.”

She gave me a look. “And you got up at what time?’

“Six,” I stated.

She shook her head. “I don’t know how you do it, K.”

I gave another shrug. “You get used to it after awhile.”

She sighed in response before turning the volume of the radio down a bit. “So, Jared’s decided to host the first party of the year Saturday.”

I arched my brows. “Really now?”

She nodded her head. “Well, it’s going to be more of a bonfire, but there will be alcohol, so I’m calling it a party.”

I laughed. “Well have fun, Kels.”

She pouted. “You have to come, Ketely! It’s the first party of this year!”

“Should that mean something to me?”

She rolled her eyes as we pulled into the school’s parking lot. “You know Garrett and I will eventually convince you to go, so I don’t know why you just don’t give in now.”

I smirked. “I like to have you two beg.”

She laughed and we were able to find a parking space near the front of the lot, closer to the doors of the school. I grabbed my bag from my feet as she grabbed hers from the backseat, and we both got out.

“Jewel!”

I turned around quickly, smiling. “Gary!”

His face lit up in a smile as he walked towards me, pointing towards his nose. “How do you like it?”

I squinted until he was finally close enough to me, that I could see a silver hoop adorning his left nostril. “You look like a badass, Garrett,” I winked.

He chuckled before pulling me into a hug. “It was an at home job, but it’ll work.”

I laughed as we pulled apart and he went to give Kelsi a hug. “Let me see your schedule.” He handed me a white piece of paper and I eyed each of our schedules carefully, seeing that we had lunch and one class together – fifth period American history. “Well, we have lunch and Mr. Banks’ class together.”

He grinned. “At least it’s something!”

I nodded my head before the sound of a loud stereo system entered the lot. We all turned and I couldn’t help but to roll my eyes again as I noticed it was coming from John’s black BMW. Go figure. As soon as he parked, he made his way over to us, smiling from ear to ear.

“Sup,” he said.

“Just going over classes,” Garrett told him.

“Well, as much as I do love standing here and talking to you guys, I’m gonna go find my locker and get situated,” I stated.

“I’ll come with,” Kelsi smiled before waving bye to both John and Garrett.

Tempe High School was big, and if you were a freshman, it was a bit intimidating. Hell, even as a sophomore it was intimidating. If you didn’t know where you were going, you were bound to get lost. Thankfully, both mine and Kelsi’s locker was in the same hallway, which would make it easier for us see each other in between the classes we didn’t have together.

As the first bell rang, kids began running through the hallways, scurrying to make it to their classrooms. Kelsi and I glanced at each other before bumping fists.

“See you in third period, my love,” she smiled.

I laughed. “I’ll see you there, babe,” I teased, giving her a wink before walking away.

My first period was only three classrooms down from my locker, and I was thankful; I wouldn’t have to rush in the mornings. I took a seat near the back of the room, placing my notebook and blue ink pen down. I placed my elbow on the table, laying my chin in the palm of my hand.

“But did you see her ass, dude?”

No. No, no, no, no. There was no way in hell that after nearly two years of luck, I was going to be in the same class as him. When he turned around, noticing my presence, he smirked and I grimaced, wanting to face-palm myself.

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t Miss Morrison,” he chimed, taking a seat in the empty chair to the right of me.

“I have to be having a nightmare,” I groaned, planting my forehead on the tabletop.

“Don’t you mean dream, baby?”

I turned my head, glaring at him. “If you ever call me that again, I will chop off your nutsack, O’Callaghan.”

A look of fear decorated his face before he smiled again, leaning back in his chair. “You wouldn’t.”

“Do you really want to make that bet with me, John?” I asked, holding a straight face.

His face fell. “Whatever. Are you going to Jared’s bonfire Saturday?”

“Why do you care?”

“I only care because you’ll probably ruin the fun.”

I slapped him on the back of his head. “Shut your mouth.”

He pursed his lips before pinching my forearm. “Bitch.”

“Fucker,” I seethed, rubbing my arm.

“Names?” We both glanced up and saw our teacher glaring at us. She was clearly pissed off.

“John. John O’Callaghan.”

“Uh huh. And you?” she asked, looking at me.

I gulped. “Uh … Ketely Morrison, ma’am.”

“Well, John O’Callaghan and Ketely Morrison, I don’t know where you two think you are, but you are in my classroom. The next time I hear profanities slip from either of your lips, you will be given a pink slip straight to the office. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” both John and I stated.

I felt my cheeks grow warm as the other students in the class snickered at John and I. But as I glanced at John, I saw that he was actually smirking; not having cared that we had both just gotten into trouble.

“You always know how to ruin my day,” I mumbled under my breath.

“It’s my pleasure,” he whispered, nudging my shoulder with his elbow.

“Fuck off, O’Callaghan.”

Leave it to John to get me in trouble on the first day of school.
♠ ♠ ♠
- Ketely

Somewhat of a filler chapter, but I actually like it. Hahaa. Thank y'all for being amazing and commenting! It brightens my whole day! (:

<3Roxie