Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XIX

I walked into my dad’s for a lunch date we had set up. I had just returned from the few weeks in Michigan.

“There’s my . . . pregnant daughter?” I smiled as I my dad pulled me into his arms. “How far honey?”

“Just about fifteen weeks,” He pulled away and held me at arm’s length and looking me up and down.

“Defiantly a boy in there or two?”

“Oh no, just one little Johnson.” I told him patting my stomach. “But we are hungry.”

“Good thing I had your favorite made,” I laughed as we walked into his kitchen dining area and sat down at the table. “Thank you Louisa,”

“You’re welcome sir, hello Miss. Emily, and congratulations to you and Mr. Jack.” I gave her and smiled and thanked her before she left.

“So where’s the whore?” I asked taking a bite of the lasagna. My dad looked up from his plate giving me a pointed look.

“She’s out, Jack at practice?”

“Yes, are you coming to the game against the Ducks tomorrow?” I looked over to see him shaking his head. “Oh, okay then . . .”

“Princess you know I love going to games with you but I have a business diner tomorrow.” I just nodded and pushed my food around. “So how was Michigan?” I just shook my head. “That good huh?”

“Yeah sure . . . Did you hear about Amy?”

“Yep, nice hearing it from Redmond isn’t it?”

“Oh no, I heard it on NHL Overtime.” I looked up to see he had his eyebrows raised and eyes wide. “Yeah my reaction too,”

“Does she know you’re pregnant?”

“Yep and left the house after finding out Dewey and Sid knew before her.” I took another bite of my lasagna letting him think about what I told him.

“Can’t say I’m surprised,”

“Dad . . . she said something that’s really, pissing me off I guess.” I glanced over at him not really wanting to tell him but I couldn’t just let it go unnoticed.

“Oh?”

“Um yeah, when I asked why Mickey knew before our family and if you knew, she said that he was more of a father . . .” I looked over to see he had his mouth in a firm line. He just nodded his head then released a big sigh.

“If that is how she feels then I guess I can’t change that . . . let’s just hope I get a wedding invite right?”

“Daddy . . .” He just shook his head.

“At least I get to see one of my babies start her own family,”

-

I fixed my shirt trying to make it look right as we walked under the Staples Center, but that’s kind of hard when your belly isn’t so well hidden. The Kings were playing their third game against the Wings today; I really wasn’t looking forward to it.

“Babe, just show it off. Kelly is, the other girls have.” I glanced over at Jack and sighed.

“But none of them showed this early!”

“Everyone’s different plus I’m bigger then both Justin and Dustin,” My eyes narrowed at him all I got was a half grin.

“That was wrong Johnson, just plain wrong.”

“Jack, Emmers!” We turned around to see Jim Fox and Bob Miller coming up behinds us.

“Hey Bob, Foxy.” Jack shook each of their hands then they looked over at me.

“Well I guess what we heard was true!” Jim laughed pulled me into a hug.

“Helping stock the Kings now?” Bob joked as I gave him a hug.

“Oh you know it,” Jack just rolled his eyes kissing the side of my head.

“So how far long are you?” Bob asked resting his hand on the side of the bump.

“Fifteen weeks,”

“Well, it will be a boy with you showing this early.” Jim told me as he looked at my stomach.

“I agree, we’ll see you two later, we’ve got to do some pre-game things.” We said our goodbyes to them and I sighed.

“This is getting old fast,” I muttered earning a chuckle from Jack.

“Emily, Jack?” My ears perked when I heard the accent and voice.

“Val,” Jack wrapped his arm around my waist and angled me to face my soon to be brother in law. “Congratulations on the engagement.”

“Thank you and same to you on the baby.” Val gave me a light smile, I just raised an eyebrow.

“Really now? Are you saying that for Amy or is she still throwing her little fit?” Val opened his mouth to respond but I cut him off. “Don’t even get me started on how hypocritical she is being about all of this.”

“Uh, how are the situations different?” Val asked earning a groan from Jack.

“And she’s off.”

“Really? You’re going to ask that? It’s harder to tell people if they lose a baby then call off an engagement Filppula!” Val winced when I shouted his name. “I don’t get why you even came to talk with us, it obvious she wants nothing to with us so I guess my child will only know his or her uncle Kenny,” I crossed my arms over my chest over taken by emotions.

“I just . . .”

“What’s going on here?” Drew and Dustin’s voice rang out.

“Guys, take Ems to the locker room, I need to speak with Val for minute.” I looked up at Jack confused and he just smiled. “It’s okay, I’ll see you after the game okay?”

“Alright,” I mumbled giving him a kiss. Drew and Dustin led me towards the locker room. “Uh guys tell Jack I’m going to sit with Foxy and Bob during the game.”

“Alright, we’ll tell him.” Dustin gave me a long hug. “Just try to relax okay? Don’t get worked up, it isn’t good for the baby.” I just nodded and waved bye to the guys.

-

“You know it’s amazing how back and forth these teams play.” Jim commented as the game went.

“There is a level of respect but they aren’t afraid to hit hard or shoot hard.” I held in a sigh as I rested against the desk as I watched the game. I rested my hand on my stomach closing my eyes. “And that’s the period bell, the game is tied at two apiece. We’ll have Henrik Zetterberg on next,”

“Are you alright Em?” Jim asked resting his hand on my back.

“Can some call Jack please?” I rubbed my stomach trying to calm down.

“Guy can we get medical in here? She’s shaking pretty bad,” Bob asked. Next thing I knew I was being examined by an EMT.

“Her blood pressure is high, we need to get her to a hospital and have her checked out.” One of the EMT’s went to move me and I flinched away.

“Don’t touch me. I want Jack,”

“Someone get Johnson up here!” Jim yelled while Bob was still rubbing my back. “Okay he’s coming up Em, he’s changing, and he’ll take you.”

“What’s going on? Em . . .” I locked my arms around Jack’s neck and curled my body into his chest. “I’ll carry her down to the car, Bob can you call her doctor?”

“Yeah, good thing all your girls use the same one,” I heard Bob comment. I closed my eyes making silent prayer out.

“Okay I’m going to set you in the seat then we’re going to hall ass to Good Samaritan,” I nodded as he sat me in the car and buckled me in. I laced my hand with his and glanced over at him. “Don’t worry, everything will be okay.” I just nodded but couldn’t ignore the unshed tears in his eyes.