Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXI

I shifted around feeling tugging on my hands and chest. Opening my eyes I remembered where I was and what happened. I let out a small sigh knowing that last night could have ended badly. Looking over I saw Jack was lying on a small cot making me realize it must’ve been early. I found the clock on the wall seeing it was just after six.

“Jack . . . Jack,” I called trying to wake him up.

“Hmm?” He sat up rubbing his eyes then looked over at me. “Hey you alright?” Jack asked moving over to the chair next to the bed.

“Yeah I’m fine . . . kinda hungry though,”

“I think Drew said he’d come by this morning, I’ll call him and have him pick up some breakfast. I know you won’t like hospital food.”

“Jack, can you get a nurse?” He looked at me confused. “I need to go to the bathroom,”

“Oh right, okay hold on.” I smiled at him as he went get a nurse. I rubbed my stomach as I waited for them to come back in.

“Okay hun let me check over everything then I’ll unhook you.” After she checked over everything she undid the IV saying I didn’t need it and Jack helped me off the bed. After I got done I came back out to see Jack was texting.

“Drew said him and Wayne will be here in about ten minutes,”

“Okay, are you not going to practice today?” I asked as I adjusted the bed so I could sit up.

“No, we won’t be out of here by then, I already let coach know, I’ll skate tomorrow.” Jack gave me a smile as he grabbed my hand.

“What was the score last night?”

“Uh seven, four, them.” I cocked my head to the side confused. “I know, we’ll get them in Detroit okay?”

“So who all came last night?”

“All the guys came by, coach, Lombardi, Jim and Bob called, your dad, and uh . . . your sister,”

“She . . . she came?” I asked quietly trying to hold back tears. “I didn’t even know she was with the team,”

“I had coach get the news to Babcock somehow so they could tell Val, I knew no matter what’s going on between you guys you’d want her to know.” Jack told me as he rubbed my stomach.

“Thank you,”

“It’s no problem. She got here after you fell asleep . . . but had to leave ‘cause she had filming today.”

“At least she came right?” He leaned up giving me a kiss.

“We come baring food!” Drew yelled as he entered the room with Wayne following.

“Dude your sister was here last night, I don’t think I’ll get use to seeing two of you.” Wayne handed me a bag of food. “Breakfast burrito from your favorite place little mama,”

“Yum thank you boys.”

“Well, you can make her happy by giving her food.” Drew joked as they sat down. I flipped them off as I continued eating. When the room door opened up we all looked over to see my doctor enter.

“Hey Doctor Park,” Jack greeted.

“Hello guys, morning Emily, how are we feeling?”

“Full,” The guys laughed then Drew put my food stuff away.

“That’s good,” She chuckled. “I’d like to run a few more test and then do an ultrasound then we can let you go okay?”

“Alrighty,” Dr. Park went through her series of test that they had did last night. Heart rate, blood pressure, all those fun things.

“Okay we’ll get a wheelchair in here and we’ll check on the baby.” She left the room then Drew and Wayne turned to us.

“So can we see the ultrasound?” I looked over at Jack and we both started laughing.

-
I changed into my regular clothes thankful I could go home.

“Now remember, no stressful situations okay? I want you to relax and workless okay?”

“What about going to games?” I asked knowing I couldn’t miss one.

“You can still go, but after you hit that six to seven month mark I don’t want you flying alright?” Dr. Park looked between Jack and I.

“Okay I guess I can deal with watching the away playoff games on the TV,” I mumbled as Jack rubbed my back.

“Good, I want you to come in next week just for a checkup then we’ll go from there. Have a good day guys,”

“Okay lets go home please.”

“Come on, we’ve got to pick up Chester from your dad too.”

-
When we finally got home I was sitting on the couch with the TV on and my computer on my lap. Jack was on the phone with one of his coaches. I bit my lip as I glanced at the ultrasound of the baby’s profile that we scanned onto the computer. I opened the email my mom had sent me. I copied the link and put it in the email and uploaded the photo.

“Just hit send,” I heard Jack say from behind me. Nodding I clicked the button and let out a sigh. “This is good, hopefully this is a step forward for you guys.”

“Yeah hopefully,” I set the computer down and rubbed my stomach. “So what’s going on tonight?”

“Dustin mentioned something about him and Nicole bringing over the boys and dinner.”

“When?” I asked knowing I had to get ready.

“Around six, you have time.” Jack helped me off the couch and pulled me into his arms. “No more stressing over things okay?”

“Okay I promise,” I gave him a kiss then pulled away. “Hopefully that email works as a peace treaty right?”

“We can only hope.”