Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XXXIII

I glanced at Amy and she just nodded giving me a tiny push forward. Taking a deep breath I walked down the beach, seeing a figure sitting there. I could tell it was Jack by his silhouette. I stopped a couple feet away from him. He had his knees bent, his arms loosely hanging on them, his focus out on the ocean. He wouldn’t look over at me. Biting my lip, I glanced back to see Amy went back to the car but was still watching us.

I closed the distance and sunk down next to him. Nothing was said, neither of us moved. I let out a shaky breath then looked over at Jack. He was staring at me, a defeated look across his face. I broke down then, he didn’t hesitate to wrap his arms around me and pull me into his chest. I gripped onto his shirt tightly while he buried his face in my neck and one of his hands rested on my stomach.

I felt something wet hit my neck, that’s when I knew he was crying also. Pulling away, I searched his face waiting for answers.

“Jack . . .”

“You were gone,” He mumbled look at me. I bit my lip realizing how dead his eyes were. “I came home from practice and your things were gone, you were, Chester . . .” Jack said quietly. “I got scared. After your sister came I—I had a feeling you’d leave me, I just hoped you didn’t.”

“Ja—”

“No,” He shook his head not wanting me to continue. “I’m sorry, I don’t regret getting you pregnant. I can’t wait for our son to be here, see him walk, talk, play hockey for the first time.”

“Then why did you say it?”

“Stupidity? Not thinking . . . I was just, frustrated I guess. Sid is like family to me,”

“I know he is Jack and I’m sorry that Amy talked to him like that but that’s how she is.” He just nodded. “What now?”

“Up to you . . . I understand if you don’t come back but can I at least be in his life?” I turned my head away biting my lip as tears started to slip out. I couldn’t stand the heart broken tone in his voice. “Please at least let me be in his life,” He begged me. “Ems, he’s all I’ll have left of you if—”

“Shut up just shut up!” I cried out. “Please stop Jack! You think I want Junior to grow up without his father?”

“J—Junior?” Jack stuttered.

“John Joseph Louis Johnson the fourth,” I quietly told him as I looked down at my belly and rubbed it.

“Even after,”

“Jack, I still love you I always will. It just hurt with the way you talked about Amy,” I heard Jack sigh then felt him pull me over to him and place me between his legs. He wrapped his arms around my stomach and snuck them under my sweat shirt and tee to feel the belly. Jack rested his chin on my shoulder and kissed the side of my neck.

“I’m sorry, I just can’t seem to trust her.” I turned my head sharply to look at him. “Not like that, just . . . what if she goes back to holding a petty grudge against you?”

“I don’t think she will Jack,”

“I’m going to take your word for it and if you take me back I promise I’ll try to get along with her.” I shifted and turned my head so I could give him a kiss.

“I’ll never let you Jack, and we’ll just have to prove you to her okay?” He just nodded accepting what I was saying. We sat there in silence for a few minutes. “You know, Sid’s pretty stupid,”

“Why do you say that?”

“He thought Amy was me,”

“Well you two are twins.” Jack said in a ‘duh’ tone.

“But she isn’t pregnant, a jersey cannot hid this belly.” I felt Jack’s chest shake with laughter.

“You got that right, I guess he did have a moment there.” We returned to our silence as we just stared out into the ocean.

“Have you two made up yet? It’s late, I’m tired and have no clue how to get back to dads.” Amy yelled as she walked down the beach to us. We just laughed as Jack stood and helped me up.

“Yes Amy, we have.” I answered clasping my hand with Jacks.

“Good, do that again, and I’ll castrate you Johnson.” I snorted as Jack gave her a nod.

“I’ll meet you at your dads okay?” I turned giving Jack a kiss. “I’ll be quick,”

“Okay.” We parted ways as we got to our cars. I sighed once I rested into my seat.

“You are so going to have to vacuum all the sand out of here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
In memory of Luc Bourdon
2/16/1987- 5/29/2008