Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XLI

I held in a sigh as Jack and I walked to the luggage claim at the Detroit airport. Since the Kings were eliminated the night before, we booked a flight to Detroit for the following day. Then on Wednesday Jack will be leaving for Men’s World in Slovakia for however long. I shifted Chester’s carrier on my shoulder as we waited for our luggage and Jack’s gear to make its way to us. I watched Jack pull everything off the belt and organize his gear before I grabbed mine to follow him out to the curb.

My mom was picking us up in Jack’s car then taking us back to her house in Warren where I’d be staying until Jack returned back from Europe. Sighing, I rubbed my belly as Junior made a hard kick to my ribcage. Once mom pulled up in front of us, she climbed out of the car and helped Jack as I slid into the passenger seat with Chester. Jack climbed into the driver’s seat as mom took to the back.

“How was the flight you two?” Mom asked as I yawned and leaned my head back. “That tired huh?”

“She didn’t sleep too good last night.” Jack told her as he made his way towards her house.

“Oh, because of the game?” I just rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Uh, no, not because of that.” Jack answered giving me a pointed look. We stayed quiet the rest of the way to her house. When we pulled into the driveway I noticed another car that wasn’t moms and smiled. Getting out as fast as I could, leaving the bags to Jack, I took Chester with me inside.

“Holy shit you grew!” I just laugh as I hugged Amy. She pulled away and looked down at my belly. “I seriously just saw you a few weeks ago and you were not this . . . round!”

“Yeah well, don’t have much longer to go.” I told her rubbing my side as Junior kicked again.

“What is going—oh hello Emily.”

“Hi Val!” I walked over to him and pulled him into a huge. He slowly wrapped his arms around me, hugging me back. I felt him tense up, making me chuckle.

“What was that?” He asked as he pulled away from me.

“That would be your nephew bruising the insides of me.”

“My nephew?” I glanced over at Amy to see her rolling her eyes.

“You are marrying my sister, right?” Val slowly nodded. “Then that makes you Uncle Val.” He just stood there looking between Amy and I then nodded.

“I’m going to help Jack with the luggage.” He told us then left room leaving us to laugh. I shook my head as I let Chester out into the back yard so he could shake off his drowsiness and relieve himself.

“Just put the stuff downstairs where you two usually stay,” I heard mom say to Jack and Val. “So, are you going to tell me why you are so tired if it isn’t because of the game?” She asked once she came into where Amy and I were.

“What did you do last night?” Amy asked with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

“Oh nothing . . .” I mumbled as I took a seat at the table.

“And I’m an avid Penguins fan.” Amy said dryly as she sat across from me.

“I didn’t do anything!” I claimed, trying to hide a smile.

“As in, she didn’t flip off the whole team and chew out a few of the Sharks players for whining on Twitter about coach not shaking their hands.” I stuck my hand out, high fiving Amy.

“Jesus, they’re such whiny bitches.” Amy muttered. “I saw those tweets last night—”

“Then you told Em didn’t you?” Jack asked her, giving her a blank look.

“. . . No?” Both Jack and Val rolled their eyes while Mom was busy brining out food to the table.

“I made pot roast, mashed potatoes, gravy, and asparagus—” I grimaced when she said that. “What, I thought that was your favorite?”

“It is, but it’s not Junior’s.” I muttered with a pout as we dished up our plates.

“It is so nice to have my two girls and their boys here for dinner. Even if two of you are leaving tomorrow for hockey games.” Mom said giving Jack and Val pointed looks. Amy and I glanced over at each other before letting out a snicker.

-

I stretched out on Amy’s couch as she talked with Val on the phone. He had apparently just got done with practice in San Jose. I rubbed Chester’s ear as I waited on word if Jack had landed yet in Slovakia. I knew his flight wouldn’t land till late there and he’d go straight to his hotel, get some sleep, then wake up and go play a game against Austria.

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later, love you too.” Amy sat down next me as she set her phone aside. “Why did you guys get such a small dog?” She asked as he climbed from my lap to hers.

“Because of where we lived and he’s easy to travel with.” I answered giving my little terrier puppy a smile. “Besides, Chester Copperpot will be great with the baby.”

“And you named the dog after a dead guy on the Goonies.”

“At least we have a dog. What do you do in this house all by yourself?” I asked knowing they didn’t have any pets what so ever. “One reason Jay Jay got me Chester was because he didn’t want me to be alone. Little guy is protective.” Amy just rolled her eyes while Chester moved back to me, resting his head next to my belly.

“What are you suggesting?”

“You should go adopt a dog.” Amy just raised her eyebrows at me. “Seriously, you’re home enough and if anything, mom would watch it when you had to leave.”

“Val would never go for that.” I just gave her a smirk. “What?”

“Who said he has to know? Just tell him we went for idle curiosity.” Amy just let out a groan and rubbed her face.

“You always get me into trouble . . .”