Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

XL

I sat on the couch, eyes glued to the TV screen. Val was sitting next to me looking the exact same way. We both knew that this game, game 6 of the Kings/Sharks series very well could determine who the Wings would play in the second series. I was torn. I wanted the Kings to win because I actually knew some of them thanks to Emily, but I also wanted the chance for the Wings to play the Sharks again. However, that thought was very small, seeing as everyone knew I couldn’t stand the Sharks.

I watched as the clock ran down, making my stomach twist into knots. The last seconds ticked off, signifying an overtime. I groaned and buried my face in Val’s shoulder. He chuckled quietly as he wrapped an arm around me.

“You’re acting like it’s a Wings game,” He joked and I poked him in the side.

“It’s going to affect the Wings games…”

“I guess you’re right. Didn’t you say Emily might stay here if the Kings lose?”

“We talked about it like once. It all depends. If Jack goes to play in the World Champs, she’ll probably come here.” I glanced up at him to gauge his reaction. “How do you feel about that?”

“I think it’s great. More bonding time that you two need.”

“Plus I’ll have someone here while you’re playing away games.”

“You’re not going to be coming with us?” He asked, looking down at me as the announcers rambled on about the game we had just watched.

“Well if Emily ends up coming here, I think it’d be best if she traveled as little as possible, you know? What with the whole pregnancy thing…” He had a thoughtful look on his face for a moment before he nodded.

“That’s very true. You’re a good sister,” He said, squeezing me into his side.

“Now I am…”

-

I slumped back into the couch as I watched the puck go into the net. I watched as the Sharks celebrated the overtime goal and Val chuckled.

“What?” I asked, looking up at him.

“You so wanted the Kings to win. No matter what you said earlier about wanting us to face the Sharks, you wanted the Kings to win.”

“Well yeah. I don’t hate the Kings…” I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest and Val let out a laugh this time.

“You wouldn’t do well on a hockey team.” I shot him a look and he smiled. “An NHL team…”

“Because I hold grudges?” I asked and he nodded. “Well that’s-”

“I understand not liking someone because they’re disrespectful. And I never say anything about your distaste for Thornton, it’s just funny to me. Even though you’re tiny compared to him, if you had played for the Wings, or any team for that matter, I could see you still trying to fight him.”

“…there’s really no arguing that,” I mused and Val let out a laugh.

“I know there isn’t. Because once your mind is set, it’s set. Which is why I’m glad I mad a good impression on you.” I laughed, thinking back to the time we had met.

“You made a better impression than Justin, that’s for sure,” I said with a laugh.

“And yet he’s still your best friend.”

-

I jumped out of my car the instant the keys were out of the ignition. I had an interview with the FSD organization in less than an hour. I had enough time to get there, but I was extremely nervous about the whole thing. It was my first huge interview, seeing as I was only 18 years old. I knew it was rare for someone so young to get an interview, but I also knew having been in a radio/tv class in high school helped my case. Granted it was just an internship, it was still important to me.

I rushed into 7 Eleven so I could get a coffee before making the rest of my trek to the studio. All of a sudden, someone was colliding into me and I felt something cold spill all over my chest. I looked down and gasped at the blue slurpee turning my dark red dress shirt purple.

“Oh shit I’m so sorry!” I heard someone say loudly. I looked up at the man with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Any other day I might have thought he was handsome, however now I just felt like crying. I tried to form words but couldn’t. The only thing happening was my eyes were welling up with tears.

“Justin, what did you do?” I heard a deep voice with an accent ask from across the store.

“Are you okay? Oh God, I’m an idiot.”

“It’s…it’s fine. I just.. Ugh. I need to go change…I can’t go to my interview like this,” I said, mostly to myself. I looked down at the soon to be stain on my shirt and cursed under my breath. “Now I need to find another sports station to intern for.”

“You’re going to an interview? For what station?” He asked and I looked at him for a second, amazed that he wanted to talk about where I was going for an interview, rather than apologizing more and more.

“Fox Sports Detroit,” I stuttered out, trying to figure out why he even cared.

“Really? That’s perfect then!”

“I’m sorry? Perfect?”

“Val come here! You stay,” He said, holding my arm as I took a step away from him.

“Dude, I have to go change so I’ll make it to this interview on time!” I exclaimed, throwing my arms up, but staying there non the less.

“I know. And I feel like a total ass for dumping a slurpee on you, so let me see if I can help you out.” As he said this, I took note of another tall blonde walking towards us. After a second I realized he was on the Red Wings and froze. His expression went from curious to shocked.

“Justin what did you do?!” He demanded, taking in my appearance.

“I accidentally ran into her. That’s not the point. She’s going to an interview to intern at Fox Sports. Do you have any pull so that you could help her out so she’s not late or anything?” He asked and I watched as the second man got a thoughtful look on his face.

“I’m not promising anything but I can make a call real quick,” He said, already pulling his phone out to dial a number into it. I watched as he turned and walked away before returning my gaze, once again, to my poor shirt.

“I really am so sorry about that. I just, wasn’t looking I guess. I’m sure he’ll be able to help you out… I’m Justin by the way,” He said, sticking his hand out. I just gazed at it for a few second before shaking it.

“I’m Amy…”

“That’s Val over there. Well…Valtteri. Val’s easier to say.”

“I know,” I said, looking back over to the older blonde as he talked on his phone. He glanced over at us before walking towards us, still talking.

"So because of that comment, is it safe to say you're a Wings fan?" He asked and I nodded, watching as Val approached.

"Kind of a Griffins fan too...took me longer to realize who you were though." He chuckled at this.

“What’s your name and what time were you supposed to be there?” He asked, covering his phone as he asked.

“Amy Payne and I’m supposed to be there at 2:30.” He nodded before talking to the phone again, reciting the information I had just given him.

“Do you think you can make it there by 5?” He asked and I looked up at him wide-eyed.

“Today?” He nodded. “Yes! Of course!” He smiled before answering the person on the other line.

“Okay then, it’s all set. You’re interview is at 5 instead of 2:30,” He said, putting his phone away.

“Oh my God, thank you so much! If I didn’t have a slurpee all over me, I would hug you!” I said and he laughed.

“Don’t mention it. We have to get going though, are you going to get another drink Justin?” He asked, a smile playing on his lips.

“Yeah. You can go to the car, I’ll be out in a second.” Val nodded and turned to walk out of the store and Justin turned to me. “I promise I won’t spill this one on you.”