Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LI

I rubbed my stomach as everyone mingled around Chris Chelio’s restaurant. They would slip in and out of the floor we had reserved for us. Once we had gotten to the restaurant or sports bar, my mom ushered me upstairs and demanded that I not worry about a thing. That was fine by me. I propped my feet up on the chair across from me and let out a sigh.

“Are you feeling okay?” Justin asked sitting down next to me.

“Abby, I’m fine.” I reassured him, trying to hide a grimace.

“Oh no you’re not. Why do you look like you’re in pain?” I rolled my eyes at his worry.

“They’re called Braxton Hicks contractions Justin,”

“Are those certain kinds? They bad?”

“Oh my god, Justin, seriously!” I told him with a slight chuckle.

“Why are you upsetting the pregnant lady?” Todd asked once he made his way over to us.

“She’s having Backton—”

“Braxton Hicks? For how long?” Todd asked me, ignoring Justin’s wording.

“On and off for a few days.” I told him honestly, knowing he had two kids so he knew what was going on.

“So is this good or bad?” Justin asked looking between us. Todd looked over at him and shook his head.

“They’re false labor pains. Just gets her body ready for the real thing.” Todd answered him. “You’ll be a very curious person whenever you have kids.”

“That you will be,” I agreed.

“One word of advice though,” Todd stated before he walked away. “Don’t look down there when the kids coming out.” I let out a laugh as Justin’s face scrunched up in disgust.

“Thanks for ruining my apatite Bert!” Justin hollered after him. “But seriously,”

“Justin, I swear I’m fine. I’m only dilated two centimeters and not even effaced.” He just cocked his head to the side confused. “Trust me; you don’t want me to explain it.”

“Okay . . .” He said quietly. “Do you want something to drink? There’s that raspberry leaf tea here, Amy said you’ve been drinking that.”

“Yes, thank you Justin.” He got up and made his way through the crowd as I rubbed my stomach again. I scanned the floor of the restaurant we were on, a smile made its way onto my face as I spotted Jack and my dad.

“There’s my princess,” My dad said bending down to hug me. “How’s our little champ doing?”

“Good, Amy’s over there with Val and his parents.” I pointed out to him.

“Thanks, I’ve been wanting to meet them, including Val.” Dad said seriously as he walked away. Jack just shook his head and sat down next to me as Justin came back with my drink.

“Thanks Justin,”

“No problem. Hey Jack,”

“Hey Justin, thanks for sitting with Em.” Jack and Justin continued talking with each other while Jack rested his hand on my stomach. I watched as Amy and dad stood off to the side talking with each other. I saw dad engulf Amy into a hug with a big smile on his face. When she pulled away, she wiped under eyes and kissed his cheek. She came right over to me and sat down next to me.

“What was that about?” I asked quietly.

“I uh, just asked dad if he’d walk me down the aisle.”

“Really?” She nodded so I leaned over and hugged her. “So what made you ask? You said you were just going to walk down alone.”

“I realized that when you and Jack get married, you’ll have dad walk you down the aisle and I’d be watching and knowing I’d regret not having him do it.” We looked at each other and started laughing noticing we were both tearing up. “So anyways, how are you feeling?” I groaned leaning my head back. “I’m just asking because I know you’ve been having false labor pains the past few days.”

“Wait, you knew?” Justin asked cutting in making Amy and I laugh.

“I told you not to worry about it Justin.”

-

I sat on the exercise ball or “labor” ball as the birthing class instructor calls it. I watched as Jack got himself ready for bed since I have to be at the church early to make sure everything was set up.

“Are you sure it isn’t contractions and not Braxton’s?” Jack asked me as he leaned against the doorway.

“Yes I’m sure, why would you ask?” He pointed to the ball I was currently sitting on. “What, it’s good for me to do this along with all the other stretches I do!”

“Okay, just wondering.” He got into bed and looked over at me. “Come on, tomorrow’s going to be a long day and you’ll need plenty of sleep.” I smiled and got up and got into bed with him. I curled against him, ignoring the tightening feeling in my stomach.