Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

L

The small group walked into Old St. Mary’s. Some of the people who hadn’t been in there whistled quietly at the size of it.

“Could you have picked a big enough place?” Ilari joked, nudging me in the side as he stood next to me.

“Shut up, it’s nice,” I said and he nodded, an approving look on his face.

“You’ve got that right.”

“So when is everyone else getting here?” Emily asked, taking a seat in one of the pews.

“Hank and Emma are on their way. Justin should be here soon and he’s driving with Todd.”

“Who else needs to be here?” My mom asked, walking up to me. We had decided that she would take charge of the rehearsals seeing as Emily couldn’t really do it.

“Uhm, I think just Carrie.”

“Who’s Carrie?” Emily asked, her eyebrows pulling together.

“A friend. She moved away to Boston like…two years ago?” I asked, glancing over at Val to see if he could remember.

“Yeah, around two years ago. Is she bringing Greg?”

“Greg?”

“She’s dating a Bruin,” I answered, and watched Emily raise her eyebrows.

“Really? And you two still get along?”

“Hey, original six, gotta stick together,” I said and Emily chuckled as she shook her head. We all turned upon hearing the big doors open, followed by voices.

“Well, that’s four down. Now it’s just Carrie?” My mom asked and I nodded, giving Justin a hug, along with the rest of the group.

“I think we saw Carrie pulling into the parking lot actually,” Justin said, leaning against the pew Emily was sitting in. “How are you feeling?”

“Awkward…as good as I can though,” She said and he nodded as the doors opened yet again.

“Okay, now that everyone is here, we can get started,” My mom said as Carrie quietly joined the group. I rushed over to give her a hug, seeing as the last time I had seen her was the last game the Wings had played against the Bruins.

“How are you and Greg?” I asked quietly as my mom started instructing Val and the rest of the men what they were going to do.

“Things got a little bumpy for awhile, did I tell you about that?” She asked, just as quietly as I had been.

“Yeah, what happened with that?” I asked, slightly worried.

“We got over it…”

“What aren’t you telling me?” I asked and she hesitantly held up her hand, emitting a loud gasp from me. Everyone turned to look at me as Carrie tried to shush me but I didn’t care. “You’re engaged?! Since when?! Why haven’t I heard?”

“Maybe two or three weeks ago?” She said quietly, shrinking back from everyone’s gaze on her.

“Oh my God, that’s great!” I exclaimed, hugging her and she laughed.

“Amy?” I turned to look at my mom.

“Yeah?”

“Can I finish with these guys?” She asked and I put my head down.

“Yes mama,” I said sheepishly, hearing Emily cackle from her spot in the pew she had claimed as hers.

Carrie joined the rest of the girls while I grabbed Emily and pulled her over so I could introduce her to everyone she hadn’t met yet.

-

“So, did that whole thing make it any more real to you?” Val asked as we got in the car, making our way back home.

“A little bit. Not as much as I was expecting though. How about you?”

“It made it pretty real…I can’t wait,” He grinned, turning to look at me as we stopped at a red light. I smiled as I watched the sun reflect off his dark sunglasses.

“Is this really happening?” I asked quietly and Val let out a laugh as he looked up to see the light had changed to green. As he focused his attention back on driving, he nodded.

“Yeah, it really is.”

“Wow.”

“I know.”