Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LV

I relaxed into the couch as Jack and Val disappeared with Junior into the man cave. Amy came into the room holding two glasses of lemonade. I told her thank you as I adjusted myself trying not to groan out in discomfort.

“You okay?” Amy asked as she sat down on the other side of the couch.

“Yeah. Still get little cramps every once and awhile.” I hold her. “Life after birth sucks more than actually pushing the kid out.”

“Okay, you are really making me start rethinking this whole, having a kid thing.” Amy grumbled as I propped my legs up.

“What, you didn’t think everything snaps back to normal like in the movie right?”

“. . . Kinda,”

“Yeah, I wish.” I told as I took a sip of my drink.

“Have you lost any baby weight?”

“Most of it actually. I didn’t gain a lot of weight, most of it was actually him and blood volume and all that after birth jazz.” Amy scrunched her face up in disgust. “Trust me, nothing about having a kid is pretty.” We sat there quietly as we watched the TV. Right as I started to drift off I felt someone shake me.

“Em,” I blinked a couple times to focus my eyes. I jaw Jack standing there holding a fussy Junior and Val had taken a seat on the arm rest by Amy.

“Let me guess, he won’t take the bottle?” Jack just nodded as he sat down next to me. “Of course not, it’s like he knows I’m about to fall asleep.”

“Do you need the pillow?” Jack asked as he laid the blanket over our son and I. I just shook my head as I adjusted Junior.

“You and Val can go back to what you were doing.” I told them as I closed my eyes. I heard Jack tell something to Amy but was too tired to focus on what he said.

“How much does he usually eat?” I heard Amy ask.

“Not much really. It pretty amazing that as big as he is, even at nearly a month, he’s not a chubby baby.” I opened my eyes and looked over at her. “And before you ask, no, this doesn’t hurt. It’s not suppose too.” She just chuckled and went back to watching the TV. I lifted the blanket to check on him and saw he detached. “Want to burp him?”

“Uh, sure.” Amy scooted over and took Junior from as I fixed my top. “I thought they fed longer?” She asked since she attended a couple of my birthing classes since Jack had games those nights.

“He usually does but I think that little nap messed him up. Probably why he wouldn’t take the bottle.” I told her as I put the spit up rag on her shoulder. “Remember what they said in class?”

“Yep,” I sat back and watched as she gently patted his back. I hear Junior let out a loud burp making Amy start laughing. “Jeez kid,” I just smiled as she pulled him back to look at him. “Uh oh, why is he frowning?”

“Gemme,” She handed him back to me as Junior started to get fussy. “I guess it’s time for Uncle Val to change his first diaper!” I told him. “Hey Jack, Val!” I glanced over at Amy to see her shaking her head. “What, it’s just a wet diaper.”

“You need something?” Jack asked. He’d been very hands on with Junior and basically waiting on me, not much complaining from me. “Ah, I see.” He said as he saw how Junior was acting. “Well Val, ready to learn something new?”

“What?” Val asked with wide eyes. “Why me?”

“Well, Amy changed one earlier and well, I just feel like torturing you dearest brother.” I answered as Jack took Junior from my arms. “Besides, it’s only a wet diaper.”

“Just make sure he doesn’t pee on you.” Amy warned him as Jack set everything up to help out Val.

“Olet kaksoset ovat pahoja.” Val muttered as Jack guided him through everything. I just looked over at Amy confused.

“He called us evil,” She told me with a shrug. “Babe just think of this as practice for when we babysit or have kids.”

“You are so wanting a baby,” I told her, earning a glare.

“There we go,” Jack told him as he snapped Junior’s onsie closed that read, Dad pulled the goalie. “See, not that bad.” Jack said as he picked Junior up.

“Until you get a dirty diaper.” I told Val with a smile.

“Those, leave me out.” Val told me before he followed Jack out of the room. I just shook my head and chuckled.

“So, how was the honeymoon?” I asked Amy once I got comfortable again.

“Good . . .” She answered vaguely. “Have you gotten over to Europe yet?”

“Jack took me in oh eight during the summer to France. But what did you two do besides the horizontal tango?”

“If you weren’t still sore I’d hit you with a pillow right now.” Amy told me. “But just went to different countries. I brought back some chocolates for you though.”

“Oh, I’ve wanted chocolate lately. So what are you guys going to do between now and training camp?” Amy just sighed and ran her hand through her hair.

“Uh I think we’re going to have a barbeque next weekend, which you, Jack, and Junior have to come to since you’re leaving soon for L.A.”

“Alright, Junior’s first encounter with the Red Wings.” I joked knowing that some of the guys were wanting to see him when they got back.

“Speaking of hockey players, who all came and saw you guys after he was born?” Amy asked knowing that Jack had friends on many of the NHL teams.

“Oh God. Well Sid flew out to see him a couple days after we got released. Some of his college buddies came over. His team mates just have pictures we’ve emailed; they’ll see him when we go home. Well actually, Drew flew out to come see him.”

“How’d that go?” Amy asked knowing how Drew could be.

“Really good. Even changed diapers without being asked.” She looked at me with a surprised look. “Yeah and then Kane,” Amy scrunched her face. “Um some guys he’s played on Team USA with sent stuff. Kesler came by and Red came down to scout his future Wolverine.”

“Oh man, kid has no choice in not playing hockey.” We sat there in silence while we heard Jack and Val in the man cave watching something, baseball probably.

“Oh, and I’m serious when I say I want a niece or nephew.” I told Amy with a grin.