Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LIV

“I am not excited for this flight at all,” I mumbled as Val and I stood in line for baggage check in the airport. He chuckled softly before putting an arm around me, pulling me into him.

“It’s not that bad,” He said, dropping his arm down to rest on my waist.

“It’s eight hours Val,” I deadpanned. We had gone all over Europe for our honeymoon but returned to Finland to visit with his family before returning back to the states.

“Oh don’t be a baby,” He teased and I rolled my eyes. “You travel with us all the time, you should be used to it. And it‘s better than the flight out here since we‘re well rested.”

“I know. I think I’m just excited to get home to everyone.”

“You just want to see how big Junior is. And then you want to spoil him.”

“Well duh,” I said, laughing as the line moved.

“So is Emily really going to get him into hockey when he’s older?”

“Oh for sure. Since he’s probably going to be big, she wants him to play defense like Jack.”

“I wonder if he’ll be good enough to make it to the NHL,” Val mused and I laughed.

“Well he’s got quite a few mentors to help him get there.”

-

I slipped into the house silently, Val following me. I heard the TV playing quietly in the living room, so I decided that was my destination. Upon walking in the room, I couldn’t help but let out a huge ‘aww’. Jack was lying on the couch and Junior was lying on his chest, both of them fast asleep.

“Isn’t that the cutest fucking thing you’ve ever seen?” Emily asked, walking in from the kitchen.

“Oh my God Em! He’s adorable!” I cooed, seeing as the last time I had seen him was right after he was born. “He’s so much cuter when he’s all clean and not red!”

“Of course he is, he’s my kid isn’t he?” She asked and Val chuckled, shaking his head. “Do you want to hold him?”

“Oh don’t wake him up for me!” I said, protesting.

“He needs to get up, otherwise he won’t sleep well at night…well he doesn’t anyway, but it’ll be worse if he stays asleep longer.”

“…okay then, yeah I wanna hold him!” I said excitedly. She proceeded to slowly move Jacks arm before lifting Junior up. He stretched his arms slightly before blinking his eyes open. Emily walked him over to me as Jack sat up, rubbing his eyes.

“And now you finally get to see Auntie Amy again,” Emily cooed giving me a look and I shook my head at her before accepting the baby in my arms.

“Damn, he really is big, isn’t he?” I asked and Emily laughed.

“Yes, and that was inside of me.”

“Nice way to put it babe,” Jack said, standing up as he stretched his arms over his head.

“Well it’s true!” She said and I grinned as Junior wrapped his hand around my finger lightly. I glanced up at Val to see him looking down at Junior, a small smile playing on his lips. “So am I going to have a niece or nephew soon?”

“No. Not yet,” Val said, smiling as he probably remembered the joke Emily had made on our wedding night.

“Well Junior is going to need someone to play with…”

“Em,” I said and she gave me a look. “Not yet.”

“Oh, I get it. You guys are going to wait until you win a Cup or something?” Emily joked and I snorted.

“Who knows? It could happen,” I said, throwing her a wink, causing her to laugh.

“Val, do you want to hold him?” Emily asked as I bounced Junior slightly.

“Uh…I’m not.. I mean. I’ve never really…held a newborn,” He said awkwardly and I held back my laugh.

“Well, you’ll have to learn sometime, hopefully before you have one of your own. Go sit on the couch.” I smiled as I watched Emily lead an awkward Val to the couch so she could teach him how to hold a newborn. “Amy, bring him over here.”

“Prepare yourself little buddy,” I said quietly before bringing Junior over to Emily. I slowly passed him back to his mom before she turned to Val, ready to instruct him on how to hold a baby.

“Okay hold your arms out.” Val did as he was told and Emily gently placed Junior in his arms, not pulling her hands away before realizing that Val had done exactly what he was supposed to do without being told. As she started pulling her hands away, Val looked up, panicked.

“You’re not telling me what to do!” He said quietly, but still worried.

“That’s because you’re doing it. You’re supporting his neck and head already, and that’s basically it.”

“Really?” Val asked quietly, looking down at Junior and I felt a smile break across my face at the sight.

“Good job dude,” Jack commented as he walked back into the room.

“Ohhhhh no,” Emily said and everyone looked at her, slightly worried.

“What?” Val was the first to speak and Emily shook her head.

“That look on Amy’s face…I think your plans for not having a kid soon might be dashed,” Emily said and Val whipped his head over to look at me as my eyes widened.

“What are you talking about?” I asked quickly and Emily let out a laugh.

“The look on your face! You so want kids with Val now!” I looked at her with my eyebrows raised, a laugh trying to make it’s way passed my lips.

“I never said I didn’t. Just not at the moment,” I said, and this time it was Val who was laughing.

“Right. Well, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.”