Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXIII

Amy smothered Junior with kisses as we stood on the passenger drop off curb at the Detroit Airport. I had to head home since the season had started and Jack was returning from the couple of games they were playing over in Europe and the east coast. Val was leaning against the car holding back his laughter when Amy didn’t want to hand over Junior.

“Send pictures of him to me all the time, okay?” Amy told me as she handed him back to me.

“I will. He’ll have a flash burn from so many photos being taken of him.” I hugged Val one last time and hugged Amy before walking up to the ticket counter. I was lucky that our mom had a set of baby stuff at her house for Junior so I didn’t have to pack a car seat, stroller, or a pack and play. Once I got my ticket and got myself through security, which was easier said than done with a twelve week old. I sent a text off to Jack letting him know I was at the airport waiting for them to load us. I fixed the small pants on Junior and his “Future Kings Rookie” onsie.

“He’s adorable, how old is he?” An older lady asked me.

“He’s twelve weeks old.” I answered giving her a smile as Junior laid on my thighs looking around at everything.

“He’s pretty big for being twelve weeks.”

“Yeah, he was pretty big coming out too.” I told her as I gave him a pacifier that looked like there was a puck in his mouth and knocked out teeth.

“I’m guessing you’re a hockey fan?” I glanced over at the lady to see her husband was asleep next to her wearing a Red Wings hat. I let out a small chuckle and nodded.

“My boyfriend plays for the Los Angeles Kings, I was just out here to stay with my sister because she was in a car accident and her husband plays too so just a little help with them.” The lady’s eyes widened as she looked at me.

“Are—Are you saying that you’re related to Valtteri Filppula?”

“Yeah, he’s married to my twin.” Her husband’s eyes snapped open and he looked over at me.

“She’s dating Johnson honey, watched him play for Michigan. Good boy you picked there. Tell me your boy will be a Wolverine?”

“If he wants to or if he wants to just go straight into the NHL.” I answered, getting a kick out of these people knowing Jack and Val. After talking with the couple I loaded onto the flight in first class with Junior asleep in my arms. I was thankful for a direct flight into LAX so I didn’t have to mess with transferring flights at all. I watched as some people grimaced when they saw Junior asleep in my arms.

Once the flight landed in LA, I texted my dad since he was picking us up, so he could meet us down at the baggage claim. Junior continued to sleep as I made my way to the baggage claim and spotted my dad.

“Hey sweetie, how’d he do?” Dad asked as he hugged me and kissed the top of Junior’s head.

“Slept most of the way. Only woke up to be fed and had a diaper change.”

“Good, that’s good. Now which bag is yours?”

“The purple set with the crown on the front.” I told him as I shuffled the diaper bag and the baby. Once dad grabbed all the bags, we walked out to where he was parked, he thankfully had picked up a car seat from Jack’s and I’s house. I put Junior in and slid in up front while dad loaded the bags. I sent a text to Amy letting her know we landed and were heading home. I let out a laugh as she asked for a picture of Junior, post flight. Rolling my eyes, I moved around so I could snapped a picture of him and sent it to Amy.

“Alright, let’s get you two home. We should get there before Jack has to leave for Staples.” I nodded and closed my eyes not even caring that I was missing opening night.

**

Letting out a groan as I stretched, I glanced around confused to see that I was in my bedroom. Looking over, I saw that the clock read that it was almost ten o’clock. Sitting up, I flipped the lamp on and saw that the baby monitor was off and there was a note.

“We tried to wake you but you wouldn’t so I put you in bed. Your dad said he’d stay and watch Junior until I got back from the game, take advantage of that. Love you, Jack.” Shaking my head, I got out of the bed and made my way down to the living room where dad was sitting, watching the game. “Hey dad,”

“Hey sleeping beauty,” I sat down next to him and looked around. “He’s in the bouncer over there. I gave him a bottle that Jack pre-made before he left, they won by the way.” I nodded, still half asleep. “Junior grew an extra leg,”

“Good, make him a better hockey player.” Dad started laughing and pulled me into him. When Junior started whining, I let out a sigh, pulling myself from the couch. “Thanks for staying dad, you can go home to what’s her face if you want.”

“Uh, no can do.” I looked over at him confused as I picked up Junior. “We broke up while you were in Michigan.” I just stood there and looked at him. “Here I thought you’d be happy.”

“Well, not if you’re not happy dad . . . what happened?” I asked him once I grabbed the nursing apron and sat down with Junior. I figured the bottle probably had only been enough to satisfy him for a little while.

“Just stuff, she was saying one too many comments. Wanted to spend too much money. She really didn’t like that I went out to the wedding and spent so much time with your mother.”

“You and mom didn’t do anything . . . did you?” I questioned knowing that he was out there for a week after the wedding and he wasn’t with Jack and I the whole time.

“Well, I better get going.” My jaw dropped as he stood up and kissed my forehead getting ready to leave.

“Dad! You can’t just leave me hanging like that!” He just smirked giving me a wave.

“Hey Jack, good game. See you guys later!”

“Asshole!” I shouted after him only to hear his laughter. Jack looked over at me confused as he set his bag down by the stairs.

“What was that about?” I just shook my head and pulled Junior away and fixed my shirt.

“Burp him, I need to call Amy.” Jack took the baby and watched as I grabbed my phone from my bag that was on the kitchen counter. I looked over to see that Jack was sitting down, burping his son.

“You better be calling for a good reason.” Amy muttered half asleep.

“I think mom and dad had sex while he was there in July.”

“. . . Ew . . . give me nightmares why don’t you.”