Status: Uh....story kinda died. You can blame it on Bettman :P

While You Were Away

LXII

I woke up and glanced around, remembering that Emily had called Todd and asked him to bring over Harley. I looked so my left to see if she was still with me and was surprised to see Val lying next to me, fast asleep. He let out a sigh in his sleep before his eyes blinked open. He rubbed them before turning to look at me. He raised his eyebrows when he realized I was awake.

“How long have you been up?” He asked, his voice slightly groggy.

“I woke up right before you did.”

“Are you okay?” I asked, brushing some hair out of my face as I looked at him.

“Define okay,” I mumbled, cuddling up to him as he sighed, wrapping an arm around me gently, being careful of my side.

“It’ll get better, I promise,” He said, kissing my cheek.

“It just sucks Val,” I said choking up as I tried to stop myself from crying again.

“I know babe…I know. It’s just going to make us stronger in the long run though.” I just gave him a sad look and he hugged me into him as there was a knock at the door. We both looked up to see Emily standing there.

“You have a visitor,” She said before disappearing. A second later, Hank appeared in the doorway.

“I’m going to see if Emily needs any help with dinner,” Val said, in order to give us some privacy. He gave me a quick kiss before leaving the room. Hank made his way over to the bed and sat down gingerly.

“I’m sorry I didn’t see you sooner,” He said quietly, an apologetic look on his face.

“Do you think I’m holding it against you?” I asked and he shrugged, looking down at the small hole in his jeans. “Hank, I’m not! You’re busy, I’m not mad or anything.”

“I just feel like a bad friend. I should have come to see you sooner, you know?”

“No, Hank. That doesn’t make you a bad friend. I haven’t seen most of the guys. Not even Abby. If I haven’t seen you and him, then it’s not shocking I haven’t seen the others. The only reason I saw Todd was because he’s watching Harley for awhile.” Hank glanced around the room before looking back at me.

“So how are you feeling? Any better?”

“I’m doing good. Everything still hurts.” I looked down, deciding against mentioning the baby. I needed to get it off my mind, and talking about it wouldn’t help at all.

“Are you going to be able to travel with us once the season starts up again? Or work at the station?” I was almost positive he knew I didn’t want to talk about the baby and was trying to find other things to talk about for my sake.

“I don’t know. At the rate I’m going right now, I don’t think I’ll be a hundred percent by the time the season is here. I won’t be out that long I don’t think. I hope not at least…”

“Well everyone misses you. I think they’re staying away to make sure that you get all the rest you need. Val tells everyone about how you’re doing when we ask.”

“They should come visit…I miss everyone. Especially you and Abby,” I said quietly and he heaved a sigh.

“Don’t make me feel bad for not coming sooner Amy,” He mumbled and I chuckled.

“I’m not trying. I’m just saying, you guys need to start coming around again. I miss all of you.”

“I’ll make sure to tell everyone you said that.”

“Good,” I said, smiling softly.

“Hank are you staying for dinner?” Emily called from the kitchen, causing him to look up towards the door.

“No, I promised Emma I would take her out tonight,” He said before turning to me. “She told me to tell you hi. She’ll probably stop by in the next week.”

“Good, I miss her too,” I said, smiling again.

“Dinner’s ready,” I looked up to see Val standing in the doorway, waiting so he could help me up.

“Thanks for stopping by Hank,” I said pushing myself up slightly before Val was at my side and they both helped me. I managed to give Hank a hug before he got up and left.

“You seem like you’re in a better mood,” Val pointed out as we made our way to the kitchen.

“I didn’t realize how much I missed the guys…”