Status: Done updating, the sequel is still going, though.

They'll Never Take My Heart

End

‘I miss Adrenaline.’ I thought. ‘Sure, she’s only been gone for one day, but I want her back. Unlike Silver, I can get her back. But... I can’t leave. I love everyone here, and I love being here.

Adrenaline was like a sister to me... maybe I can just go bring her back? No, no. That would be impossible. The zones are huge! She could be anywhere. I want her to be here... but I would go anywhere with her. Why didn’t I say yes in the first place? I’m such an idiot. I can make it all good now.’ I grabbed my raygun and Silver’s katana. I carried it everywhere with me now. It was a good luck charm. I debated taking her raygun with me too. I kept it by my bedside. In the end, it was a yes. I was about to walk out the door. With everyone else sleeping, this was easy. They were heading out to look for Adrenaline again in the morning. I told them she wasn’t coming back, but they didn’t listen. I stood in thought for a moment, when I heard a whimper from the corner. It was Silver in her crib, small tears forming in her eyes. She must be hungry. I’m going to miss watching her grow up if I leave... unless...

Silver was nestled into my chest, fast asleep in the cloth I had tied around my neck and arm. The motorcycle hummed as the wind blew by at seventy miles an hour. Adrenaline said she was going to Candy and Angel’s place. I might as well check there first.

• Fun Ghoul’s point of view *

Candy sat crying in Angel’s arms as he desperately tried to comfort her. The tears were starting to form a small puddle on the floor. We woke up to find Silver and Killer both missing. The motorcycle was missing. Everything is falling apart! First Silver dies, then Adrenaline goes missing, and now this?! I don’t think I can take much more, but I have to stay strong.

“Come on, Fun. I have a good feeling that if we find Adrenaline, we’ll find Silver and Killer with her.” Poison said from the Trans Am. I hope he’s right.
Thirteen hours of nothing but searching. It goes by so, so slowly. No progress was made. We searched all of the zones as best we could. No sight of them, no sound of them, just sand. Horrible, horrible, sand. We’ve had every living killjoy looking for them, and no one found them. I hate to say this, but I think they’re--

“Dead.” Jet interrupted my thought. “They’re all dead. I just can’t think of any other reason...”

“Let’s check again, maybe another place?” Kobra suggested.

“There AREN’T any other places! We’ve checked everywhere!” I yelled. They quieted down a lot. I don’t yell often.
“We have checked every inch of the zones, and unless they’re all halfway to New York, their bodies were swept up by the sand.” I sat down, putting my head in my hands. I started to remember all of the good times. It took three hours. I almost missed the funeral.

“Though their bodies lie elsewhere, may their souls rest in peace.” Poison finished up the triple-funeral we were holding. So much death... too much. I hope I never have to live through this again.

• Noise Killer’s point of view *

I saw a small bit of flesh poking through the sand. It’s another killjoy, I better go pay my respects. I slowed down the bike and circled around, parking next to the body. Silver was awake and looking around. I bent down next to the body. Blood was pooled around it. It looked like it’d been here maybe 5 minutes or so. I could barely recognize who it was. I recognized that face. It was Adrenaline. My eyes became as big as a can of Power Pup. I shook her shoulders up and down.

“WAKE UP!” I screamed. “WAKE UP! WAKE UP! WAKE THE FUCK UP!” I pumped her chest repeatedly, hoping it would restart her heart. I gave her mouth to mouth, hoping it would inflate her lungs, get her breathing again. But sometimes, all you can do is hope.