Status: On Hiatus - Not sure when I'll be updating again...

Something Ends, Another Begins

Chapter Eleven

Right after we put on our seat belts, I hear a beeping sound. Cameron pulls his phone out of his pocket and looks at the screen. I saw him lean his head back against the head rest and sigh loudly.

"Something wrong?" I asked.

He shook his head, not looking at me. "It's just I completely forgot that I needed to pick up my aunt from her work. Her car is being fixed in the shop." He started pressing buttons on his phone, indicating that he typing a text. "It's alright," he continued, "I'll just tell her I'll be a little late. No big deal."

I was quiet for a moment before saying, "It's fine, you can pick her up first. I'm in no rush."

He just looked at me for a second. "Are you sure?" he asked. "I can drop you off first. It's no problem."

I smiled. "It's okay, really. Tell her you're on your way."

He shrugged and went back to his phone. "Alright, then," he said. After he finished sending the text, he put his phone down and started the car.

***

After about fifteen minutes of complete silence, Cameron pulled up in front of a hospital. The hospital I've always gone to, actually. Before Cameron actually stopped the car, I already saw a lady walking our way. She looked just like the lady I saw at Josh's funeral. She was blond, not very tall (about my height), and was wearing scrubs.

The lady opened the back door and before she sat down, she said, "Hey, Cam."

While she was putting on her seat belt, Cameron replied, "Hey. Oh, Liz, this is Ali. She needed a ride home and I offered her one. Ali, this is my aunt Liz."

Liz leaned forward and extended her hand, "Hello, Ali, nice to finally meet you."

I shook her hand and replied, "Likewise."

"Yeah, Cam here has been talking about you quite a bit." Liz glanced over at Cameron with a smile.

Cameron looked back at her with a serious facial expression. "No, I haven't."

I saw Liz roll her eyes and sit back in her seat. "Yeah, okay," I heard her say under her breath.

Cameron shook his head and started to drive out of the parking lot.

"So, how was Homecoming?" Liz asked, not too long later.

Cameron and I exchanged glances. "It was interesting," Cameron said. Frankly, I'd have to agree with him.

"Okay," Liz said slowly, clearly wanting for Cameron to elaborate, but I guess she didn't bother to ask.

"So, Ali, how have you been? How's school and everything?" Liz suddenly asked, changing the subject.

I looked back at her. "Pretty good. You know, I'm taking things day by day," I replied. I thought I felt Cameron's eyes glance at me for a second before looking back at the road.

Throughout the whole ride, Liz and I made small talk while Cameron just sat there quietly and staring at the road ahead of him.

It wasn't long before I found Cameron pulling up in front of (apparently) his and Liz's house.

"Alright, Liz, I'll be back after I drop Ali off," Cameron said as I heard Liz taking off her seat belt.

"Are you hungry, Ali?" Liz asked, just looking at me.

I looked at Cameron and he just shrugged his shoulders. "Um, I guess, yeah," I replied.

Liz smiled. "Oh, well, we have some spaghetti left overs is you want some."

The gesture kind of took me by surprise. Even though I haven't eaten since I left Christie's house, I wasn't expecting Cameron's aunt (who I just officially met about ten minutes ago) to invite me into their house to eat some left over spaghetti. I looked over at Cameron again and his eyes were just staring at his aunt. I couldn't exactly read his face expression.

After what seemed like a while, I finally said, "Okay, that sounds good."

"Great," Liz said excitedly while Cameron looked at me with a surprised expression.

"What?" I mouthed to him. He just shook his head, shrugged his shoulders, and started to take off his seat belt. I did the same and got out of the car.

"Just come in and make yourself at home," Liz told me as she opened the front door. I walked in after her and then Cameron waked in behind me. As Liz rushed over to where the kitchen was, I heard Cameron say next to me, "You can just, uh, leave your shoes near the front door, if you want." He was rubbing the back of his neck.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, fine," he said. I suddenly got the feeling that maybe he didn't want me here or something. I should've asked him if it was okay that I just barged in his house to get some food. I should not have just agreed. However, I didn't mention anything. I just quietly took off my shoes (which, I just noticed, were killing my feet) and gently kicked them near the front door.

After Cameron did the same, he shoved his hands in his pockets and was looking down at his feet. When he looked up at me, smirked and said, "The kitchen is this way." He started walking and I followed behind him. While walking, I began to notice how nice and cozy this house is. It wasn't large like Christie's house, not that it needed to be. In fact, Cameron's house just looked like any ordinary home. I don't know why I found myself so surprised. I guess it's because I've always just been focused on how I thought Cameron was just an ass.

***

"This spaghetti is delicious," I commented, taking another bite.

Liz smiled and nodded. "Yeah, well, Cam is a great cook. I keep telling him that but he doesn't want to believe me." She rolled her eyes as I quickly looked at Cameron who was rubbing his neck and looking down.

"You made this?" I asked, trying not to sound too surprised but I just couldn't help it. There's no way in hell that the image of Cameron cooking ever went through my mind. What other secrets does this boy have?

Cameron just shrugged his shoulders and looked up at me. "Yeah, it's nothing."

"Nothing? This is freaking amazing. I can't even cook this well," I said. Liz giggled and took a sip of her water.

"Anyway," Cameron said quickly, getting up from his seat, "I'm going to go upstairs and get changed. Ali, just let me know whenever you're ready to go." After that, he was out of the kitchen in a millisecond. I thought it was pretty funny how modest he is.

After I finished eating, Liz turns to me and says, "Want to see something hilarious?" By the way she was whispering, I could tell it had something to do with Cameron. Liz led me to the living room and had me sit down. She brought over what looked like a scrapbook of some kind.

"Don't tell Cameron I showed you this. Otherwise, he would definitely kill me." Liz opened the book and the first thing I saw was a picture of a little toddler wearing a Mickey Mouse diaper, a Mickey Mouse hat, and cowboy boots. He looked like he was waving to the camera. He was smiling (as if he was laughing) and I could tell it was Cameron because of the icy blue eyes. I could recognize those eyes anywhere.

I heard myself gasp and I immediately cover my mouth to prevent myself from laughing out loud. "Oh my gosh," I whispered.

"That was Cam when he was almost two years old and we had just got back from Disneyland. He had the biggest obsession with Mickey Mouse and Disney it was crazy. There were actually times when he would make us call him Mickey," Liz explained. I giggled and she continued to flip through the scrapbook. The next picture I saw was of Cameron and a little girl. Cameron looked a little older while the girl looked a little younger than him. Liz pointed to the picture. "That was taken a few years later when Cam was about five. That little girl is his cousin, his other aunt's kid. They were so close and they would do practically everything together. They were best friends. He taught her how to ride a bike and they even went to preschool together. But, that was before..." Liz's voice trailed off. "Um, never mind." She continued to flip through the book.

I didn't bother to ask what it was she was going to say. I had a feeling it was deeply personal. None of my business.

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Liz and I looked at each other before she quickly closed the scrapbook and tried to hide it.

Cameron walked toward us slowly. "What's going on?" he asked curiously.

"Nothing," Liz and I said in unison.

"Alright," he said slowly. "You ready to go, Ali?"

"Yes," I said. "Liz, it was very nice to meet you."

"You too, sweetie. Come back any time." Suddenly, Liz gave me a hug. I was taken aback, but ended up hugging her back. When I turned around, Cameron smiled at me and turned to the front door, me following him.

***

"Your aunt is very nice," I said as Cameron pulled up in front of my house.

"Yeah, she's cool."

"Have you always lived with her?" I don't know if that was a question I should've asked, but I was curious.

Cameron shook his head and cleared his throat. "No, I've been living with her ever since I first moved here when I was twelve going on thirteen."

I didn't intend on asking because a voice in the back og my head kept telling me it wasn't my business but I ended up asking, "What about your parents?"

Cameron sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Uh, I'd really rather not talk about them," he mumbled looking down.

"I'm sorry," I said quickly, feeling stupid.

Cameron looked up at me, smiled, and bit his lower lip before replying, "Don't be. It's fine."

"Anyway," I said, "Thank you for tonight and saving me from that creep."

Cameron laughed. "Don't mention it. I'm just glad I could get you home safe."

I smiled back and, as if my arms had a mind of their own, I leaned over and hugged him. He didn't hesitate to hug me back and wrap his arms around my waist.

"Thank you," I said again. But, not just for tonight.

"You're welcome." I could've sworn I felt his arms wrap tighter around my waist as he said that.

After that, I got out of the car and I heard him say to me, "See you on Monday?"

I nodded and waved. "See you on Monday."

He smiled and before I knew it, he drove away.