Status: On Hiatus - Not sure when I'll be updating again...

Something Ends, Another Begins

Chapter Eight

I set the shopping bags near the stairs and slowly made my way to the kitchen table, where my parents just stared at me with blank expressions. I just came to realize how familiar this whole scene looked. I remember them telling me to sit down with them because we needed to talk about something. I remember feeling confused as hell, even after they told me they were going to get a divorce. But right now, I had no idea what to expect.

I sat down and neither of them had said anything yet. "Is someone going to tell me what's going on?"

My mom looked at Dad and he gave her a reassuring look. "Ali, there's something I've been meaning to tell you...for a while, now." He paused while I just sat there, staring at him.

"About several months ago, I met someone. Her name is Ruby." He paused again, probably hoping I would understand what he was saying before he had to tell me.

When I figured out what he was trying to say (which didn't take long), I clarified, "And you're dating her now."

"Well, we've started dating a little after we met. So for about six months. But that's only part of what I want to talk to you about."

"What else is there? You know, besides telling me now that you've been going out with someone I've never even met for six months when I never even knew you were dating again?"

"Aliana, please let your father finish," My mom said quietly beside me, knowing that I was starting to get pissed.

My dad glanced at my mom and then back at me. "Ali, I really wanted to tell you sooner. But then, with everything that happened with Josh, I thought telling you would make it worse."

"Dad, you know Josh died only a month ago. You still had the five months before that to tell me."

"I know, you're right. But there's a lot more I need to tell you." I sighed and sat back, folding my arms across my chest. "When I first met Ruby, she was visiting here for a business trip. About a week ago, she went back to her hometown in New Jersey. I'm going to live in New Jersey with her."

My eyes went wide. "What? Why? Why can't she live here?"

My dad closed his eyes and took a big breath. "Ali, Ruby and I...we're getting married and we're having a baby. We both feel living in New Jersey would be what's best."

I felt my anger exceed its limit. "Are you serious?!" I yelled.

My mom jumped a little, startled. "Aliana---"

"You feel you can just pick up and leave just because you hooked up with some chick? Do you really expect me to have a stepmother?"

Dad looked at me with concerned eyes. "Ali, it's not like that. Ruby and I love each other."

"Bullshit!" I responded, to my parents' surprise. "There's no way you can fall in love again right after divorcing your wife that you've been married to for fifteen years!"

It was Mom's turn to talk. "Ali, your father and I fell out of love way before the divorce."

I stood up from my seat. "How can you be okay with this, Mom? He's planning to run off with a girl I've never even heard of before and is going to start a family with her. Yesterday, I never even knew Dad was dating again and today, he's already leaving me for a new family."

My dad quickly stood up. "Ali, I am certainly not leaving you. There's no way I'll ever leave my daughter that I love so much. When I get settled in New Jersey, Ruby and I would really want for you to visit us as much as you can. We would also love for you to come to the wedding, as well."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "You're insane if you actually think there's any way in hell I'll ever want to see you again. I bet the whole time you were making all these plans with this chick you never even considered me and how I would feel about all of this. You just go ahead, do what you want and expect me to be okay and go along with it. But that's not going to happen. I have way too much crap going on in my life to have to deal with your new life. So, you know what? Have a nice life with your new bride and your new child in New Jersey. And don't expect me to show up at your wedding."

Having said all that needed to be said, I turned around, grabbed my bags and walked upstairs to my room. After I closed my bedroom door, I heard mumbling downstairs but I didn't want to hear it. So, I threw my bags somewhere and started to listen to my iPod.

I checked my phone and saw that Cameron had text me about ten minutes ago, but of course I didn't know about it. He wrote: Had a good time today :) See you Monday.

I sighed and turned off my phone. I was not in the mood to talk to anyone right now. I was just focused on listening to my music and falling asleep.

***

On that rainy Monday morning, I found myself putting books in and out of my locker. I figured Jenny was with her new guy, Zachary or whatever. She hasn't really talked to me about him that much. In fact, she hasn't been talking to me much at all. If all of this crap wasn't going on with my dad right now, I'd be stressing out about the fact Jenny and I have been kind of growing apart. But, unfortunately, I have a lot more things to worry about.

"Daydreaming?" I suddenly heard, which made me jump a little.

I then saw Cameron leaning on the locker next to mine. When I jumped and gasped, he raised his eyebrows and then started laughing. "Damn, are you okay? I didn't think I was that scary."

I smiled, closing my locker and facing. "I'm sorry, Cameron. I'm just being weird today, that's all."

"Are you really okay? You didn't text me back all weekend."

"Yeah, I'm sorry about that. But, there's just been a lot of stress this weekend. Personal stuff. I'd rather not talk about it, though, okay?"

"Alright, that's fine. Would you mind if I walked you to class?"

"Um, okay. That would be nice." Cameron smiled and started to walk with me.

"I hope all of that stress didn't have to do with the little run in we had with the ex."

"Oh no, it definitely wasn't that."

"Okay, good. I'm sorry about that, again. But other than that, spending a day with me wasn't as bad as you would've thought, right? Just admit it."

I laughed and shook my head. "Okay, I'll admit, hanging out with you wasn't as brutal and torturous as I would've thought."

Cameron grinned and nodded. "Fair enough. It's pretty weird, though."

"Why?"

"Well, Saturday was the first day ever you and I hung out without us getting into some stupid fight...and Josh wasn't there to witness it."

"Yeah, I know. He would've been so proud. Considering we would always put him through a hard time whenever the three of us were in the same room."

Cameron was laughing as we stopped in front of my classroom. "Anyway," he said, "I guess I'll see you around, then."

"Yeah, okay." I nodded. As he walked away, he waved and I waved back.

I suddenly didn't feel as bad as I did earlier this morning.