Bye Bye Blackbird

There's Something I've Been Meaning to Tell You

"Followed? By whom?"

"I don’t know darling." He growled, annoyed.

"Turn here and see if they really are following." I motioned to an alley way coming up on our right. The car drove past.

"False alarm." He whispered. "We need to get to Anna’s now."

We drove to Anna’s quickly and silently. She was kind, as usual, and showed us to our room. We told her we needed sleep since we had been driving for 2 days straight. We stripped down and climbed into bed. He held me to his strong chest.

When I woke up John was already awake, staring at the ceiling fan.

"Good morning Love." I spoke softly.

"Oh! Did I wake you?" He jumped a bit.

"No. No. What time is it?"

"Almost 6 I’d guess." He shrugged looking at the window.

"Why are you up so early?"

"Didn’t get much sleep. I was thinking." He reached over and lit a cigarette.

"Thinking about what?" I asked wrapping an arm around his waist and laying my head on his stomache.

"You. Me. Us. The boys. The future."

"And where did this thinking take you?" I asked reaching up and taking a drag from his cigarette. He paused a moment before he answered.

"Nowhere good. For the first time in my life I’m actually scared. The boys are gone and you could be next. I don’t know what I would do if I lost you. I don’t think I could take it." His voice cracked and his eyes became moist.

"Hey, hey, hey. Shhhhhh. I’m not going anywhere." I put a hand on his face and rested my forehead against his, closing my eyes. "We both knew what we were getting in to when we signed up for this life. I love you John Dillinger and as long as you love me too, nothing in this world can touch me. We have to grow old together. Sitting on our front porch watching the leaves change into fall. Remember?"

"Yeah. I remember." He whispered. "There’s... there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you Janey."

"Oh? What’s that?" I asked sitting up a little alarmed.

"I... well... I... I was married before." He finally said. I just blinked at him. He wasn’t exactly a spring chicken when I met him but I never thought he had been in a serious relationship before me. "I was twenty, she was sixteen. It only lasted about three years. I thought you ought to know."

"Oh... what was her name?"

"Hovius... Beryl Hovius."

"...pretty..."

"Yes but Frankie Jane is absolutely beautiful." This man has got adorable down to an art.

"Why did you split up?" I asked studying my hands very intensely.

"She couldn’t handle me in jail. Plus I didn’t love her. Not like I love you. Not even close." He leaned forward and kissed my forehead, then each cheek, and finally my lips. I knew he was telling the truth.