Bye Bye Blackbird

Florida

"Go! Go! Go! Yes!" I cheered from the side of the track.

"You have got to be kidding me!" John ranted as the horses crossed the finish line. "That horse had a 1 in 76 chance of winning. How’d you know she would win?"

"Because that horse is just like me."

"What do you mean?"

"No one expected her, now she’s shaken everyone’s world." He gave me a thoughtful look.

"You’re something else, you know that?" I just smiled back at him. "You look gorgeous today, Janey." He complimented while taking in my black and white polka dotted dress that he has bought me on the way down.

"It’s nice to feel like a woman now and again." I said turning my face to the sun, letting it warm my skin.

"You are so much more than a woman." He murmured, now very close to my ear. "You are a force of nature." He nuzzled my ear and planted a quick kiss behind it.

"Let’s go collect my winnings and go back to the hotel. It’s so hot and sticky down here." I said turning to look up at him from beneath my lashes and wrapping my arms around his waist. "...I need a bath."

"He grinned down at me and nodded and lead me by the hand to the betting window. Every time I breathed in I caught the smell of his cologne. I had put 50 grand on the underdog. The bookie and John both had looked at me like I was crazy but, clearly, it had paid off.

We went back to our room, leaving the others back at the track.

"You go on and get in. I just have a quick phone call to make." He ushered me into the washroom. I ran the water as I got undressed. I sank into the piping waters and felt the tension of the past weeks melt away. While I was waiting for John I started to sing my favorite song.

"Pack up all my care and woe,
Here I go,
Singing low,
Bye bye blackbird,
Where somebody waits for me,
Sugar's sweet, so is she,
Bye bye
Blackbird!
No one here can love or understand me,
Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me,Make my bed and light the light,
I'll be home late tonight,
Blackbird bye bye.
Pack up all my care and woe,
Here I go,
Singing low,
Bye (bye) bye (bye) blackbird.
Where somebody waits for me,
Sugar's sweet, so is she,
Bye (bye) bye (bye) blackbird.
No one here can love or understand me,
Oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me,
Make my bed, light that light,
I'll be home late tonight,
Blackbird...
Make my bed and light the light,
I'll be home late tonight,
Leave you bird jet in the sky
Toodle oo!
Farewell!
Bye bye!
Blackbird
(Blackbird,Blackbird)
We'll take the flying little blackbird bye!"

"You look lonely, Beautiful." John said from the doorway.

"You better come keep me comp’ny then." I swirled the water a bit with one of my legs and grinned at him.

"I’ll be right back. Don’t you go nowhere." He turned and started removing his suspenders. A moment after the door had closed I heard a thud like someone falling to the floor and what sounded like men yelling.

My stomache lurched. "John!" More yelling and footsteps.

I quickly got out of the bath, wrapped a towel around myself, and ran to the door. Upon throwing it open I was met with a room full of police officers and detectives. John was lying handcuffed on the floor. I let out a small scream.

"Miss." A detective came to me. I stared at him, my eyes wide with terror. "I suggest you go and put some clothes on, Miss." I wanted to shoot him. I wanted to run to my bag, grab my gun, and unleash a hell that none of them had ever seen upon all of them. But, I couldn’t. I couldn’t move.

They wrenched John off the floor, he gave me one fleeting look and,

he was gone.