Status: ongoing, chapter 3 is fixed, 12 chapters in total, updated weekly or monthly

Fat Chance

Chapter 7 - Not so Innocent

The Owen siblings occupied a small share house that once belonged to their uncle who remained single his entire life. Ben Owen, their uncle was an Engineering professor in Etherton College. Upon retirement he moved in to a farm and decided to stay there for the rest of his life. Dawn’s father, Larson Owen convinced him not to sell the place. After high school, she was able moved in the share house while pursuing her college degree. Soon after, Nathan followed suit.

The share house has four bedrooms. Two of which are unoccupied.

Although working overseas their parents never failed to give them their usual tuition and the payment for the bills. Dawn also supported herself by applying for odd jobs. However more often than not, she always ended up working for Judy’s family like cleaning their Jacuzzi, doing their groceries, walking their dogs and other menial tasks like playing a drummer girl for her weird cousin.

The morning at the Owen’s was silent.

It bothered Nathan to no end. He loved his sister and the same could be said about the latter. But from time to time he noticed that Dawn appeared to be apathetic when it comes to emotional matters. He wanted to know. Confronting her was never easy though.

He found her in the kitchen chugging down a can of Coke.

“Tell me this is a part of your big plan.” His arms crossed while leaning at the stair well.

Dawn paused her gulps and eyed at her brother.

“No,” she replied with a half-asleep tone. “There’s no big plan.”

“What? I can’t believe you’re doing this. You know I love Samantha.”

“I’m sorry, Nate. But she doesn’t love you.”

“That’s for me to find out.”

“She broke up with you didn’t she?” Dawn maintained her tone.

“And how about you? Did you think she’ll get in a serious relationship with you?”

“It’s none of your business.”

“It is my business. I’m your brother. She’s my ex.”

“Okay, you have a point but that doesn’t change anything.”

Nathan groaned in frustration. “I also want to know. When did this all happen?”

The elder sister recounted the events. “I think it’s the day when you told me she broke up with you.”

Lately, Nathan isn’t fond of hearing the word ‘break’ in all tenses. “So are you telling me that gave you a leeway to go after her?”

“It’s not like that.” Sometimes Dawn couldn’t stand Nathan’s childish accusations. “We accidentally met if that’s any consolation.”

Nathan shook his head in disbelief. “And then what... you jumped in her bed? I haven’t even--” He refused to say the obvious words. Dear Nathan is a virgin.

With a girl like Samantha it was hard to admit that it only took a splash of beer and a Pikachu helmet to have her in knees. “She’s sweet,” was her short reply.

But then the flashback of Ashley and Samantha’s picture together has overridden her thoughts like mad. The only other thing that surprised her was Nathan’s indifference to her preference. He must have known it long before.

“Having your sister as a rival is weird don’t you think?” She thought that the question might lighten him up.

“I just couldn’t believe you acted on it.”

“What? So you knew I’m leaning that way before I did?” Dawn couldn’t tell if she’s mocking her brother or herself. “And what about Sam? Don’t tell me you didn’t know.”

“It was the reason she broke up with me. She told me that she preferred girls more than guys.”

“That was. . . cliche.”

“I wouldn’t even believe it until I caught her with you. I thought her becoming a lesbian was just a lame excuse to get rid of me.”

An unkind thought smack Dawn. What was Samantha’s reason then for flirting with Cole anyway? Was she really a slut? Was that all an act? Or just a misinterpretation?

“I’m not so sure about the lesbian part,” she whispered to herself.

“Don’t you have any doubts dating her?” Nathan’s anger seemed to deviate into filial concern.

That hit something. She did have doubts but Dawn chose not to answer.

“Did you just do this for fun? For experience? Or is this serious?

“I don’t know. Stop asking,” Dawn answered and finished her Coke.

“Why does it always take time for you to notice the most important things? And who drinks Coke for breakfast?” With condescending tone Nathan went back to his room.

Dawn pitched the empty can of coke in the trash bin in imitation of Samantha. She missed.

“Damn.”

--

“Hello?” Judy held the cordless phone to her ear. It rested on her cheek and shoulder while her nails filed each other. It was the usual Sunday for her. “Oh, Dawnie.”

“I’d like to ask something about your cousin.”

“You mean, Ashley?”

Judy heard a sigh from the other end. “Yes.”

“What’s the research for? Oooh, did she finally arouse your interests?” Judy couldn’t help but tease her.

“Judy, don’t start.”

Judy Hamilton always loved Dawn’s retorts. It was one of her pet peeves.

“Well, what do you want to know?”

There was a pause.

“Where do you want me to start?” Judy rephrased her question.

“Her past?” Dawn was unsure.

Judy blew her nails. “You want me to tell about the band or the crazy get up? Because that will take a week.”

“Something more personal.”

“Like whom she dated?”

Another pause from Dawn.

“O—k.” Judy’s right arm finally became free and held the cordless phone. “Tell you what. . . she’s an eccentric one and I doubt anyone could go serious and stay long enough.”

“But I’m sure you know she’s into girls.”

“Ohhh. . . if that’s what you meant. Don’t worry I think she digs you.”

“No, I didn’t mean that.”

“You’re going too de~fensive,” Judy said in a sing song voice.

Dawn tried to ignore the remark. “Didn’t she mention anything at all about her past relationships or friends?”

“Ohh, you’re sneaky.”

Dawn groaned at the receiver. “Judy, it’s not—“

“Oh, don’t worry I’ll arrange a date. Do you want that?” Judy loved being a match maker.

“Hey!”

Judy cut off the call and went for Ashley’s number. She waited until somebody answered.

“Hey, she likes you,” was Judy’s first words.

--

The devious Judy arranged a study session. What a plan. She called Ashley to assist Dawn on her report. A good excuse for the younger girl to visit her.

The door belled outside the Owen Share House.

“Hey, Judy told me you needed help.” Ashley greeted when Dawn opened the door. Not surprisingly, she sported the same attire when she first met her. How she was able to walk like that in public she would be amazed to know.

“Ugh.” Dawn groaned at the thought of Judy smiling devilishly wherever she is. She obviously got the idea wrong, though not entirely. She did have some papers to finish.

“What’s that in your neck?” Ashley noticed.

“Insect bites.” Dawn lied. She forgot all about the love marks Sam left on her neck.

“A big insect that is.”

“Anyway, are you familiar with analysis of variance?” Dawn asked trying to divert the topic as she led her to her room. Better take advantage of the help anyway.

“A little.”

Nathan was in the kitchen and caught site of the visitor. Dawn left Ashley in her room to get some refreshments. Her brother was leaning on the sink with a funny face.

“Who’s that girl?” he asked with a bemused grin.

“Hey, don’t jump into conclusions!”

“I was just asking.” Nathan almost forgot what they were fighting of earlier. It relieved Dawn somewhat but she wasn’t at all happy with the sudden suspicion and interrogation.

“She’s Judy’s cousin, the one with the band.”

“Oh, the one you worked out the whole night before?” Nathan’s held the glass of water to his lips. “We don’t have a sound proof wall around here.”

“She’s here for other reasons.”

Nathan arched an eyebrow.

“My report,” Dawn implied heavily. She wished to erase various obscene thoughts swirling inside her brother’s head since he caught her with Sam.

“Suit yourself.”

Dawn took two cokes from the fridge and left Nathan smiling wildly.

--

Ashley booted Dawn’s laptop and opened up MS Excel. There are two stacks of folders to her side. One was marked as Report and the other with nothing. She opened up the one labelled with Report.

As she was skimming the data, a familiar handwriting unnerved her. A couple of it have Samantha Jessica Reid’s name on it.

“Their classmates?” she whispered to herself.

Dawn entered the room. “Want some Coke?”

Ashley smiled weakly. It’s hard to put up a face when all you wanted to do was scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks to all my subscribers! I'll try to update this as much as I can.