Distorted

The Stranger

Two days later and it was Monday again, which meant I had to go back to school. However, instead of driving, Christian offered to do it so that we could talk. I wasn’t sure what he wanted to talk about, but I had a slight suspicion.

As I got into his grey Ford Focus, he looked at me, his hand resting on the steering wheel. For the longest time he didn’t say a word, and I was afraid when he did that he would tell me I was too much for him, that he didn’t want me in his life.

“Did you have any more dreams?” Christian asked.

“No,” I said. “I haven’t had any dreams since…”

“John, yeah,” Christian said softly.

He nodded quickly, and I slumped back in the seat, trying to make myself as small as possible. It was weird using a first name basis with a man I didn’t know very well, and who had been my doctor, but right now I don’t think it mattered what I called him.

“I don’t want to talk anymore,” I whispered as I rested my head against the window. Once I heard the car start and move out of the driveway and onto the road, I closed my eyes.



School seemed like a blur. All the classes melted together and all of the people started to look the same, and even sometimes they sounded the same to me. No one was even aware that anything was wrong with me, and I was okay with that.

I was waiting for Christian in the parking lot after the final bell rang. I was sitting on the hood of his car, watching all the other students go by, when I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. The stranger walked at a distance, away from me, but then he turned his dark eyes and caught me staring.

Quickly, he changed his direction and headed toward me. He stopped a few inches from the car and gave me a cool smile, his shaggy brown hair windswept.

“I’m sorry if I startled you,” he said softly. “But I’m new here. My name is Jude.” He stuck out his hand, waiting.

“Kendall,” I said, and shook it. I gazed at the silver ring on his finger before pulling away. “Do you like it here so far?”

His eyes flickered across my face before he answered. “Yes,” he murmured. His lips pulled into a slow smile. “I’m definitely enjoying my time here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh, look at what I did.
I went and made another character.

Comment please.