Distorted

The Visitor

I had flicked on every single light in the Dawes house looking for Christian, but I didn't find him. It was like he just vanished into thin air. When I went to check to see that his car was still in the driveway, I noticed that it was, so that was when I began to start freaking out. I slowly recovered when I told myself he probably just went for a walk.

I couldn't blame him for wanting to leave, seeing the news he just had. Jared was his best friend and to see that must have wrecked him. It hurt me, too, don't get me wrong. But I was just glad that for once I didn't dream about killing him. It was horrible to know that someone, this phantom, was doing this and not leaving any sort of tracks.

I blinked, suddenly, feeling the sting of tears. I wasn't sure what I was crying for at the moment, but within minutes, I knew: it was for Christian, for my mother, for the victims, for my lost brother, and even for Jude, who didn't deserve anything after what he did, but I still cared about him.

"Fuck," I mumbled.

I pressed my fingers against my temples. I squeezed my eyes shut, leaving the kitchen I was standing in behind so all I saw was black. I wanted to stay like that forever, but I knew I couldn't. I knew I had to open my eyes and see the things that were happening. I couldn't hide anymore.

A knock on the kitchen window startled me. At first I thought a bird had flown into the glass, but then I remembered it was after dark. Cautiously, I walked over to the window. The knocking sounded again, but this time it was at the back door. I froze, turning my head toward the noise.

"Kendall," a voice said softly. The tapping resumed. "It's Jude. Let me in. I need to talk to you."

I didn't move. "How did you know I was here?"

"Please, I don't have time to explain. You have to come with me."

I reached near the wall to flick on the light that floods the backyard. Sure enough, when I did, Jude was standing there, his hands pressed on either side of the door. He looked desperate.

"Christian's gone," he said. "He...he took him."

My eyes widened at his words before I yanked open the door. "What are you talking about? Who took him?"

Jude stepped inside, and it was then that I noticed he was breathing heavily, like he'd just run a long distance. He looked at me with his forest-colored eyes. "I'm sorry for what I did, and you can hate me after we find him, but right now we don't have the time to argue."

I was out the door before he said anything else. With Christian's car still in the driveway, I quickly ran back inside to get the keys off of the hook. I was beside Jude in seconds.

"Where did they go?" I asked, pocketing the keys.

"I only saw them going east. After that they could be anywhere. Don't you want to know who took him?"

I nodded.

"His name is Seth Hawkins and he's the one who wanted information about you. Do you know who he is?"

I didn't, but he knew me.

I unlocked the car door and slid inside, then I looked at Jude. "This doesn't mean I don't hate you, you know."

"I know." Jude smiled briefly as he got into the passenger side.
♠ ♠ ♠
It looks like it's going to be another long story.

Comment, please.