Status: Slowly but surely

Night and Day

Regrets

As much as I portrayed the cool collected, sassy individual, it was really nerve wrecking to have to do what I was trying to do. I mean don’t get me wrong, the money kept me going, it really did but I was the worst at dating. To put it plainly, I was awkward and overthought everything, especially when it came to dinners. My idea of a date was always a six pack of beer and watching a movie at my place. This date may or may not include another person, screw you don’t judge. I don’t go out on dates often; the offers were few and far between. Also I hardly ever had the time; it was always work with me. This was no different because well it was work so I shouldn’t have worried so much about it.

Standing in front of the mirror, I pinned my curled hair to the side then took a deep breath looking at the person staring back at me. I looked proper and put together contrary to my cluttered mind. When I exited the bathroom, I looked up to see Rusty standing there waiting for me. He gave my appearance a look over, nodding as if he approved of the fitted dark red dress.

“Is there a reason why you’re here Rusty?”

“Just going over what to do tonight.”

“Can you be more specific?” I question. Rusty picked up the necklace with the hidden camera in the pendant and walked behind me to place it around my neck. The gesture made me feel strange but I did my best to remain unfazed by it.

“Get him to give you a tour of the place, behind the scenes and everything. Even better if you get to his office,” he spoke while putting the necklace on.

“Okay I think I can manage that.”

“We’ll be watching so if anything happens we can get you out.”

“That’s reassuring.”

“What do you plan on talking about?” Rusty inquires.

“The weather,” I counter in a sassy manner.

“Very funny, I’m being serious Amora, You should have something thought out.”

“If I thought things through I wouldn’t be here right now.”

“Are you saying you regret agreeing to be here,” he responds looking at me.

“I’m saying, if I overthink this more than I already am, it won’t happen. You’re telling someone who overanalyzes everything, to think more. It’s not a good idea,” I state.

“I thought you were more experienced in this area? I mean with that little business you had going for you in college.”

“That is hardly basis for this; Delmont is actually physically attracted to me.”

“Weren’t the others?” Rusty replies confused. I let slip a laugh.

“No, they were gay. I was their beard, a.k.a. token girlfriend.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Better than them actually attempting to date a girl who would end up on the short end of the stick. Also I did encourage their coming out, gradually you know? It’s difficult sort of subject and some people need a person at their side to help them through it.”

“Yet you charged them.”

“That was Troy’s idea; he said I was giving up too much time for it to be volunteer work. Word spread, as well as a set price,” I explain.

“So how long has it been since you’ve been on a date that involved someone that was actually attracted to you?” Rusty questions.

“Two years.”

“What was that?”

“Two years?” I reply wincing slightly.

“Wait, hold on what about that Doctor?” he responds giving me a look.

“He was my last job.”

“You’re kidding me right?”

“I felt bad for him,” I argue.

“Are you allowed to do your own thing when that’s going on?” Rusty asks hinting at something else.

“I’m a private person Rusty; I only told you this bit of information so you don’t get the wrong idea about me. I’m not a prostitute.”

“Alright then what are you?”

“Ready to leave for this dinner.”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself. Also he sent you roses. It looks like he’s going to pull out all the stops for you,” he states. I let out a groan.

“That is ridiculous. Someone needs to give him a long serious talk about that behavior.”

“Or you could just thank him and move on with the conversation. Try not to be too much of a ball buster; he’s got an ego that doesn’t like to be bruised.”

“Who? You or Delmont?” I respond. Rusty broke into a smile and shook his head at me.

“Just don’t drop the ball alright?” he spoke as he turned on the pendant. His constant invasion of space was something I was starting to get used to but every once in the while much like that moment, his hand would graze my skin and my heart rate would seize.

“Encouraging words as always.”

I had to be prompt and not show up late to this date so I took into calculation the walk to and from the elevators. Waiting for me in the lobby was Winston Delmont along with his associate. He seemed to be in deep conversation with the other person, as if discussing business but his eyes raised and caught sight of me walking towards him. He shooed the other person away and gave me a smirk.

“You look fantastic.”

“Thank you, you look nice as well,” I nod with a small smile.

“I have a little extra special planned for tonight,” Winston spoke while holding his hand out to me. Pushing back the hesitation I took his hand even though I didn’t like being led anywhere in such a manner. It made me feel like a ninety year old who needed assistance crossing a road. We entered the restaurant to see absolute no one there, only one table was lit by candlelight and the rest paled in comparison. Inwardly I cursed him; he would shut down the restaurant to do something so ridiculous. He placed his hand other hand on the small of my back and led me to the table. Winston pulled out the chair for me and again I had to force myself to take the offer. After he pushed in my chair, he sat down across from me. “How did you like the roses?”

“They were lovely thank you,” I say politely whilst the waiter poured me a glass of champagne.

“Only the best,” Winston states gesturing to the champagne.

“I’m not familiar with champagne.”

“What are you familiar with?”

“Whiskey and beer but I’m willing to try something new,” I respond placing the napkin on my lap. Winston stared at me from across the table.

“You hate all this don’t you?” Winston counters with no hint of malice but more surprise and intrigue.

“Hate what?”

“The whole candlelit dinner and champagne set up.”

“Honestly?” I reply.

“Go ahead.”

“I think it’s overdoing it. I don’t even think make-a-wish kids get this much.”

“Wow that is honest. You have a pretty dark sense of humor too, I like that,” Winston comments unable to resist a smile. “I’ll call off the string quartet.”

“That’s funny,” I say with a small chuckle. Winston’s smile grew. “So besides running a casino and recreating scenes from romance films, what do you like to do?”

“I’ve recently taken up antique gun collecting.”

“A gun collector’s second biggest investments are books.”

“You collect?”

“I research things I find interesting,” I reply.

“So guns interest you?” he inquires.

“More or less, I began to get curious when I’d watch westerns like The Searchers or The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.”

“You like John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, well that’s not very common for your age.”

“You have me starting to think you have a problem with my age,” I comment giving him a look.

“You’re just not the typical 22 year old that comes around here.”

“And the typical 22 year old would be?”

“Generally aspiring to be famous, parties often near the pools hoping to be seen, and lacks sophistication.”

“Well that’s encouraging. Should I order the jaeger now?” I counter in a joking manner.

“Hey if that’s what you want to order, feel free,” Winston replies putting his hands up with a smirk.

“It’s pretty awful stuff, tastes like black licorice.”

“I recall my jaeger days,” he mentions.

“I wasn’t aware people could recall their jaeger days.”

“You’re right, it’s a little spotty to remember,” Winston laughs. Probably a frat boy asshole no less, building an empire to prove daddy wrong. Those were my judgments, the ones that kept me on track. A greedy self-absorbed prick who sued his own brother. Do not think he is charming or handsome. This is a job, a job worth 6 million dollars and no tax deductions. Dinner proceeded, Winston ordered for me much to my disdain and it ended up being a great meal. I asked about his work, what he had to deal with and if there were any crazy stories. Eventually when we were done eating he offered to give what he called a V.I.P. tour. This was where the real work began and Winston took notice of my constant looking around.

“I don’t want to get lost in here in case you leave me deserted,” I state taking note of the area I was in.

“I won’t desert you,” he smiles as he slid his hand down to the small of my back to lead me along the long corridors. We were behind the scenes of the casino and he was explaining the whole ordeal while we walked. I saw an opportunity and crossed my arms whilst we walked to look as though I was cold to see whether he would offer his jacket. He took notice and stopped short of the main control to take off his jacket. The jacket was held out to me and he held it so I could easily slip my arms into it. I gave an appreciative smile as he helped slip it on.

“Thank you.”

“Ready for the control room?” Winston inquires with a smile.

“I think I can handle going starboard,” I reply only to get a somewhat confused look from Winston. Instead of explaining the Star Trek reference, I moved on. “Yes, I’m ready to see.”

It was almost too easy to let him give me the tour. My eyes took in the many monitors that displayed various parts of the casino and hotel. The whole area was incredibly high tech and systematic. There were quite a few guys working the area and they all seemed equally intimidated by Winston Delmont. Something told me he ruled with an iron fist. He more or less interrogated the group and I stood there looking at all the surroundings. I remembered that I was supposed to plant some bugs but I felt like this wasn’t an easy thing to do with so many people around. My eye line went to one of the men who worked the computers, staring at me from the corner of his eye. That was my queue to move over to him to see what was on his set of monitors while Winston spoke with the head of security.

“So what do you get to stare at for eight hours?” I inquire in a curious manner then added some humor. “Old ladies trying to win on the slot machines?”

“No, the vault.”

“For what? Mice?”

“People who aren’t supposed to be in there,” he replies with a timid smile.

“So mice then?” I smile as I locked my hand on my wrist where my bracelet rested.

“Pretty much.”

“I don’t know how you do it,” I reply shaking my head. Taking one of the bugs off the bracelet with the cover of the jacket there to keep me unnoticed, I held the small piece in my hand. The thing was supposed to scramble the system when a button was pressed by Eddie the tech-man of the team. There was a space between the boards and a manual resting on the desk so carefully yet strategically I knocked the manual down with my hip. I gave an apologetic look and made my move to pick it up while simultaneously planting the bug. My adrenaline was pumping but I kept the embarrassed smile as I put the manual back on the desk. By the time I stood up straight I turned to see Winston had been checking out my backside while I had been bent over. He had a lustful look in his eyes for a brief moment before he moved towards me placing his hand on my back as if to claim me in front of all the other men in the room. I felt like a piece of meat. In those men’s eyes I was another notch to be made in their boss’s belt. Winston led me through the corridors once again and back onto the main floor where he walked me to the elevators. The doors opened and he gestured for me to go in before him while he held the door even though it was not necessary. He stepped into the elevator with me and pressed the button to shut the doors. Then without warning he stepped in front of me, holding eye contact the entire time as he opened the front of the jacket to access the inside pocket. I felt myself holding my breath as he pulled out the key card with a smile. God he was toying with me, trying to test my personal space levels and how I react to him being so close. I managed to breathe again when he used the card on the elevator system. The numbers went higher and higher yet he said nothing.

“Where are you taking me now?”

“It’s a surprise.”

“I’m not really big on those.”

“You don’t like surprises?” Winston counters.

“No,” I answer as I started to get a little anxious. Rooftop you idiot, he’s taking you to the rooftop. Don’t flip out just go with it even if you don’t particularly like being so high.

“What if it was a new car?”

“Unless I’m on the Price Is Right then no.”

Winston gave a throaty chuckle and smiled at me. I on the other hand could only think about the film American Psycho and how this guy might pull something crazy like that off on me. Shit I could be murdered or forced into an uncomfortable three-way where this guy has mirrors in his bedroom. That was when I started to laugh, I was pretty awful thinking of something so graphic. I had someone watching over me so I needed to calm my shit down. The elevator doors opened to reveal his office not the roof. Okay I could deal with that one; I wouldn’t doubt he had access to the roof from his office being it was part of the top floor.

“I figured we could have a drink before we headed up to the roof,” Winston spoke gesturing for me to go ahead of him. Again his hand went to the small of my back to lead me in and we walked through the main space to a closed door. Opening the door and flicking on the lights, I found myself in his personal office where he took his meetings. While Winston made the drinks I sort of just casually walked around looking at the view from the window. “Whiskey?”

“Sounds lovely,” I reply as I maneuvered the next bug out that would serve as a camera. I stood behind the desk that was in front of the large windows then moved towards the metal structure beam that helped support the room. Discreetly while still watching Winston pour the drinks, I pressed the camera into the deep hole where the screw went into and was seating level to overlook the entire room. “Very nice office you have here.”

“Thank you,” he replies as he handed me the drink. I took a sip of the whiskey and he did the same. It was very quiet and he took the glass from my hand to set it on the desk with his own. I had a good feeling he was going to kiss me and well I couldn’t let that happen so I improvised.

“So will I get to see this rooftop that you spoke of?” I inquire. The question stopped the gears moving his head.

“Of course, come on.”

That was one bullet dodged and I knew once on the roof I’d have to dodge more. It was quiet on the elevator that led to the rooftop and when the doors opened we were left to a hallway. At the end was a door and as we approached it I saw that there was a code to get out, obviously this was an alternative door to the roof. I watched as the code, 5699. I had to remember it just in case it wasn’t seen by the others on the other side of my camera. A rush of air hit me and Winston held his hand out to me. I took his hand and we walked onto the platform. All the city lights of Las Vegas could be scene from the area, all the smells mixed in the polluted air and somehow it didn’t bother me. I was hesitant when he brought me closer to the edge and he stopped to look at me expectantly.

“Are you afraid of heights?” he questions.

“More so lack of structure around the edge, the falling part is what I’m-”

But my words were cut off by him pulling me into a kiss. I should have seen it coming but I didn’t. I should have immediately pulled away but again I didn’t. Depravity was not good when dealing with this sort of job so for a moment. It was sort of like not eating food for a day then all the sudden you are presented with a bread roll and that bread roll was the best thing in the world to you because you were so hungry. I’m not saying that he was a fantastic kisser; I’m just suggesting he was thought better because I lacked physical contact for a long time. My submission had to be short lived and I had to gain control. Winston pulled away with a smirk on his face.

“How about a night cap? I think you would like a night cap,” Winston says in a cocky manner. His arrogance helped with my answer.

“It’s getting late, I should get back,” I reply moving away from his grasp.

“You don’t trust yourself around me. I won’t bite…much.”

“Your originality astounds me,” I counter sarcastically before walking away. He had looked as though he had been smacked across the face before I turned around. I kept walking, heading back into the hallway and to the elevator. Standing there I pressed the button several times hoping that by doing so it would open sooner. The doors opened and I stepped in, being sure to press the button to also close the door just as I saw that Winston had snapped out of it enough to go after me. Luck be have it the doors closed in time and I pressed the floor I required to get to the suite. My heart raced as I waited to reach my level. The doors opened and I hurried to my suite without delay. I still had his jacket, the plan from the beginning. Clutch in hand I pulled out the key to my room and entered the area then closed the door. A sigh of relief escaped my lips and I raised my eyes to see both Linus and Danny had been waiting for me. Reaching into my pocket I pulled out the key card I had stolen during the kiss as well as the other items that were still in the jacket, including his cell phone and notepad.

“What the ha—holy hell you’ve got the book and key,” Linus spoke all at once.

“Go through it as soon as possible, he’ll come back for it but I don’t know how long that’ll take.”

“You did good kid, I mean you got the bugs and more on this one, we were worried for a bit,” Danny comments taking the notepad.

“Take pictures of the pages with your phone, that way we can reference back easily,” I say in more of a command than a suggestion. I was pressed for time and I knew I had to get the coat along with everything that was in it back to him in one piece so I wouldn’t be suspected of anything. Danny looked at me surprised but then proceeded to do what I said. I took off the jacket and set it on the arm of the couch then headed to my room. The events exhausted me and I collapse on the bed, kicking off my shoes once I landed on the goose feather comforter. About five minutes passed and I realized that sleep would not be my friend at that moment. The adrenaline was still running through my veins and it made me anxious. I got up from the bed and headed to the closet to change into some jeans and a plain black shirt. Letting my hair loose and placing some more comfortable heels on, I grabbed my clutch to head out once again. It looked as though Danny and Linus were finished with the artifacts brought back on my behalf so I began to place them back in their respected places in the pockets of Winston’s jacket.

“I’m going to take the jacket to the front desk, that way he doesn’t suspect anything had been done to his things.”

“He’s going to try to talk to you again you know that right?” Danny responds.

“I’m aware, that’s why I am dropping the jacket off then heading out for a walk or sorts. He can’t possibly find me on the strip at this hour,” I state as I grabbed the jacket carefully. Danny nodded in agreement and I headed out of the hotel suite.

A part of me wondered where Rusty was and why he wasn’t the one to greet me in the room but I pushed the feeling aside as I approached the front desk, jacket in hand. The man at the desk seemed confused at first, readying himself to hear how he could possibly assist me.

“Could you make Mr. Delmont aware that his jacket is at the front desk with you? I don’t want to be responsible for getting it back to him.”

“I-uh- okay, I’ll be sure to have him alerted,” the man spoke in a confused manner.

“Thank you,” I reply with a gracious smile. I got out onto the sidewalk on the Vegas strip and I found myself slightly lost. Where to go from there? Pulling my cell phone out of my clutch I decided to try to call Troy. He answered on the third ring and I was just happy to hear his voice. I walked along the strip while talking to him at first not really initiating a meeting. Before I could initiate the meeting I caught sight of him on the phone walking towards me with a big goofy smile on his face. He gestured to the phone in a dorky manner as if it were chance to see me.

“Well hello, fancy seeing you here,” Troy spoke with a cheeky grin. I couldn’t resist smiling back at him.

“Fancy indeed,” I say with a smile.

“Want to get hitched at the chapel?”

“Don’t tempt me with a good time.”

“A marriage of convenience,” he smiles.

“Is always inconvenient,” I reply.

“Want to check it out anyways?”

“The chapel?”

“Yeah, let’s watch people make joyously awful mistakes,” he says taking me by the hand.

“Thought those were what mirrors were for,” I counter.

“Every gay man needs a sassy straight gal to watch people ruin their mornings,” Troy smirks.

“There better be an open bar.”

“That’s the spirit,” he cheers as he led the way to our destination.

“I think perhaps we should wait, I mean most bad decisions occur around 2:13 a.m.”

“That’s mighty specific Ammo, do you speak from experience?”

“Yeah about that, there was this one time when I ran into your dad,” I spoke in an airy tone. Troy stopped mid step and turned giving me a dirty look.

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“He was all ‘Amora I am terribly sorry my son slept with your boyfriend. As far as I am concerned those two idiots are missing out, you’re a lovely girl and if you should need some comforting I am willing to oblige.’”

“Oh god, that is something he’d say. Please tell me you had some restraint,” he responds looking at me with an exasperated expression. I burst into a fit of giggles having never run into his father ever.

“Troy I’ve never met your father in my life. All I have to go off of are pictures but that is amazing. He’d say something like that?” I laugh.

“Unfortunately yes, that is exactly how it would go if the two of you met. I don’t think it’d matter though, I know you’d turn him down because you value our friendship too much.”

“It’d be a sort of poetic justice if I did.”

“I slept with your boyfriend not your father,” he argues.

“Yeah but you really don’t have any boyfriends and I wouldn’t have you to compete with.”

“Alright, I’m sorry I slept with your closet gay boyfriend and ruined your relationship based on oblivion,” Troy states.

“Apology accepted,” I reply as we approached the chapel. Troy opened the door for me and I headed inside. The receptionist greeted us at the door with a bright smile.

“Hello! What a handsome couple! Shall I put you two on the books.”

“We’re here to witness and spread good tidings to those who are getting married,” I state.

“Well aren’t you just the sweetest thing! Which wedding?”

“Any and all for tonight,” Troy replies while putting his arm around me. And so it was, we were to be witnesses for the night. Each and every wedding that occurred the time passed us by. Some weddings were a mess and some had you rooting for a lasting marriage. However in the backs of our minds we knew better, we knew that 50% of all marriages ended in divorce. Sixty percent if it is a second marriage. Don’t ask why I know the average percentages; I just like knowing useless facts. We sat there drinking from a bottle of whiskey like the classy people we were and watched what unfolded before us. Troy passed me he bottle still looking at couple getting married.

“You think you would have married Eli?”

“Probably,” I say taking a swig of the alcohol.

“Because you didn’t know?”

“Because I did know and I didn’t care.”

“I think that’s worse,” he responds.

“Don’t act like he never got to you Troy, you cared about him too,” I spoke in an airy manner as I handed the bottle back to him. Troy took the bottle and indulged in a large drink of it.

“Maybe I did and maybe I just liked being around someone who was more fucked up than I was.”

“There was that factor too huh? What’s fucked up is that I thought he was a safe choice.”

“I don’t get that, you know? You’re really nice but at the same time really unsettling,” Troy states.

“Unsettling?” I reply with a chuckle.

“Okay let me be more specific. You are unsettlingly restrained.”

“Restrained?”

“Yeah, you sort of hold back a lot. How do you even do that?”

“I don’t know,” I shrug.

“So tell me about the new guy,” Troy says as he looked at me.

“What new guy?”

“Yeah, the attractive man with blue eyes. Not exactly what you usually go for but I can see why you would change it up.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I respond in a coy manner.

“You know what I’m talking about Amora. You always gravitate towards those dark eyed lanky musician types who don’t have their shit together.”

“Well that’s rude.”

“It’s the truth,” Troy states with a smile.

“We are in a Las Vegas chapel watching drunken strangers get married; it hardly warrants your right to pass judgment on me.”

“Touché let’s head out, I know a great place not far from here.”

I didn’t really say anything merely shrugged my shoulders and went along with it, grateful that I wouldn’t have to sit through another wedding. Troy led the way to Tropicana Avenue where we approached a busy night club. Admittedly I had started feeling the whiskey and the light yet heavy dizziness had taken over me as we glided into the entrance of the loud club. It only took a moment for me to realize that it was indeed a gay club but it didn’t bother me, it just meant I’d stay out of trouble. Troy gestured to me, wondering what I’d like to drink and I mouthed out water. I had to be responsible considering I was still involved in a heist and if I were to wasted then headed back through the hotel, well that would reflect poorly if Winston saw it. He seemed to be the type to avoid sloppy individuals. However that did not mean I couldn’t dance or have fun. Troy came back with a bottle of water for me and beer for himself. We headed to the crowded dance floor after Troy downed his beer. He twirled me around and I moved my hips from side to side along with the beat. The song wasn’t something that I knew but I paid no attention as Troy and I danced. Perhaps that what I liked about Troy, he encouraged that I dance and have fun in the times that I needed it. He and I somehow knew each other enough to play up on our strengths. We used to attend salsa dance classes together when he still lived in Arizona; at this point we had our dances down. After a few songs had passed we caught our breath at the bar, taking in large quantities of water. My eyes traveled to see Rusty observing from afar, a drink in his hand and a look of amusement on his face. I remembered at that moment that I probably was being watched this entire time from the pendant and the thought embarrassed me just a little. For intents and purposes I was off the job at that moment so I gave Rusty an annoyed look as I reached up turning off the camera. Troy caught my eye line and waved Rusty over to us. Mentally I smacked Troy all the way to Castle Black and if you don’t understand the reference go read Game of Thrones.

As Rusty walked through the crowd, Troy turned to me with a challenging smile gesturing to his phone to read the screen. I looked to see the text on the screen, reading the message

I dare you to kiss him in front of all these people. If you do I won’t make you do anymore photo-shoots.

I gave Troy a questioning look; as if to get an answer why that would be the way out of doing any more photo-shoots with him. Troy merely nodded with a mischievous smirk playing on his lips. Rusty reached the bar and I was feeling brazenly stupid about what I was going to have to do. Troy knew I didn’t do this sort of thing in the public eye and he was egging me on to prove something I wasn’t quite sure of. It was still a fair trade for no more photo-shoots. A part of me knew that Troy was banking on me chickening out and well I would have none of it. Before I backed out on the deal, I had maneuvered Rusty over to the bar stool and forced him to sit. Of course he gave me a confused look but I didn’t say anything just merely gave a tentative smile. I felt the nerves take over me but I advanced forward, looking Rusty in the eyes before pulling him into a kiss. My lips worked against his, the surprise of my actions wearing off Rusty as he pulled my body closer to his. Kissing him was not as anticipated, it was far better. We pulled away and I could feel his eyes on me but I had to remain unaffected by it all. Good god what had I done?
♠ ♠ ♠
I did not realize how much I had written until I was finished. Nice long update for a special someone. Whoop there it is. ha. Hope you lot enjoy it.