Status: I Have A Virus. No Updates For A Little. Sorry :\

A Tantalizing Kiss

Show Night

“Christine, dear, where is your scarf?” The actor playing Raoul asked with concern. I stood on the sides where I would enter shaking. Pierce hadn’t shown up yet since the play had begun. It was evident that Stein was annoyed by this, but she was giving me more than enough encouragement. She could tell how nervous I was.

If only Rodger could see me now.

The soccer star that had won the game more than four times this season standing backstage dressed up and nervously awaiting for his cue to come out.

Certainly was a sight.

My first lines hadn’t popped up yet, and I knew the suspense was killing me. My eyes were trained on Rose as she played her part of the innocent girl. She certainly didn’t look as nervous as she said she would be a few days ago.

Her words came out smoothly and naturally. She was born an actress.

“No Raoul, the Angle of Music is very strict.” She sent an apologetic look to Raoul, playing her part wonderfully.

“Well, I shan’t keep you up late.” He reached for her hand to pull her along, but she tore back a little.

“No Raoul…”

“You must change. I must get my hat.” He held up his index and middle finger, “Two minutes Little Lotte.”

“Raoul!” Rose called as Raoul went to leave, “Wait!”

But it was too late.

The lights dimmed and the music cued, a subtle note adding to the eerie tone sent.

I sucked in a deep breath, my heart trying to pound itself out of my chest. Through the darkness, I slipped into my spot behind the mirror. Swallowing nervously, my ears listened for the cue.

“Insolent boy, This slave of fashion. Basking in your glory.” I called from backstage. My microphone cut in halfway through boy, unfortunately missing my beginning. I grimaced, but continued with my part, “Ignorant fool! This brave young suitor sharing in my triumph!”

Rose looked around before singing her lines. Her eyes were wide with confusion, and curiosity. “Angel I hear you, Speak—I listen. Stay by my side—guide me!”

She continued her line, and I sang mine back. I could feel ourselves falling into the roll as she turned her head around in search of me. Through the blackened mirror, I could see her, but like Christine in the play, she had no idea where I was.

The light in the mirror brightened so that the audience could see me as I started to sing my lines slowly, lowly.

Her eyes widened as ours connected.

So she hadn’t been expecting me.

I gave a slight smirk as I continued to sing, “I am your Angel of Music.”

Her eyes held mine as I successfully led both girls into my lair.

~*~

“Mason!”

I turned around, my eyes falling on the blonde scampering toward me. Rose’s eyes were wide as she approached.

I raised an eyebrow curiously, leaning against the wall, “What’s up, Doll?”

“You… Where’s Pierce?”

I shrugged, scowling slightly.

“You…” She shook her head, eyes wide, “I didn’t know you were going to be singing. I… Holy hell, Mason.”

I cringed, “This is the last time I’m singing, trust me.”

“Shut up.” She slapped my chest playfully, “I knew you could sing, but Mason, you got into the role amazingly.”

I smiled bashfully, “Thanks, you weren’t so bad yourself.”

“I’d kiss you if I didn’t want to ruin my make-up.”

I slipped my arms around her waist, pulling her into a hug, “I’d kiss you anyway if I knew you’d beat the shit out of me.”

“You’re a smart boy.”

I gave her ass a squeeze, loving the feel of her luscious cheeks in my hands. She giggled, pulling me just slightly.

Unable to resist, I pressed my lips to hers softly.

“You taste so good.” She murmured against me.

“I try,” I smirked.

“Five minutes everyone!” Someone called.

Rose cussed, grimacing at the stage, “Ready for the second half?”

I swallowed nervously, “Not at all.”

“You’ll do amazing.” She patted my cheek affectionately, “I need to go get my make-up fixed. You should too. Good luck, I’ll see you on stage, super star.”

I rolled my eyes, releasing her to prepare herself.

She was something.

Stein passed by, giving me a scolding look. I smiled weakly before hurrying back to my make-up stage for one last check-up before the finale.

And before I knew it, it was over.

Months and months of hard work, diminished in seconds.

The noise of the audience filtering out was audibly through the thick curtains that separated the viewers from the actors. I stood in my spot, frozen for a minute in disbelief. My hand was curled around Rose’s, the palm sweaty.

She turned to grin at me, pulling back into her character.

I no longer looked at Christine, I was looking at Rose.

It was a dramatic change.

“How do you feel?” She asked, taking a deep breath in.

“I…” I shook my head, staring at the curtains. All around us, people moved about. Actors moved back stage to strip off their costumes while stage crew began to set the stage for the next show. We stood like freshmen in the senior wing, nothing but an inconvenience.

“I feel like I just won six State cups alone.”

She giggled, pulling on my hand, “Come on, Phantom. Let’s get out of the way before we’re yelled at.”

I let her lead the way back stage to where the rest of the actors and actresses were. She pulled me away from the buzz, off into a secluded corner. I moved a hand to cup her face, pressing my lips against hers hungrily.

Rose grinned, kissing me back as she wrapped her fingers around the hairs on my head. I sucked on her bottom lip playfully, nipping. I could taste the make-up on our lips as I slipped my tongue into her mouth. She greeted me with a soft gasp, pulling my head closer to her.

I slipped an arm around her waist. Trapping her in the corner, I pressed our bodies together as tightly as we could. It wasn’t tight enough.

“Mason! Rose!”

I pulled back, turning toward the owner of the voice.

Mr. Wilson stood before us, with his arms crossed. I smiled innocently at the teacher that had given me private acting lessons, trying to casually brush off the fact that I had been making out with Rose.

“Hey, Mr. Wilson, what’s up?” I asked with a grin.

He rolled his eyes, “You two are still on school property. Keep it G. Both of you need to go get changed so we can have everything ready for tomorrow.”

He gave us a curt nod before walking away.

I glanced back at the blonde next to me, noticing the beet red cheeks.

“I can’t believe that just happened.” Rose buried her face in her hands, shaking her head back and forth.

“He’s right.” I slipped my arms around her again, pulling her against my chest, “We should go get changed. I’ll meet you in the back. We’re going to go out.”

“Oh really?”

“Yeah,” I smirked down at her, “I have to take the leading actress out for a congratulatory dinner, don’t I?”

“No…”

“Too bad.”

She gave me a quick peck on the cheek before moving out of the corner, “I’m going to take Mr. Wilson’s advice before we get suspended.”

“See you in a few, Doll.”

I went to my own area to change back into my street clothes, leaving the Phantom costume precariously placed next to the others. I hoped that I wasn’t about to get in trouble for not putting it in the right spot.

I moved past the people in the hallway as I made my way out to my car. Families hugged their star, friends gave out flowers, people stood about chatting everywhere. I forced my way through the labyrinth.

“Mason!”

I froze in my place, knowing whose voice that was.

“Mason, you little idiot!” I felt my sister’s arms wrap around me from behind. I turned around, hugging her back. Her bump pressed against my stomach. The thought of a baby being in there made me squirm.

“Hey, Joey.” I grinned weakly.

Rodger showed up behind with a devious smirk.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were in the play?” She flicked the side of my head, “I can’t believe you!”

“Yeah… must’ve slipped my mind.” I shrugged, sending Rodger a death glare.

He wrapped an arm around my sister, “Luckily, I managed to have accidentally bought two tickets instead of one so Joey managed to make it out here.”

Joey shrugged his arm off, giving him a nudge, “I really would’ve preferred you’d had told me a head of time though.”

“Why didn’t you say anything today?” I asked.

“I didn’t know!”

Rodger pulled out the ticket stubs, “I came over three hours ago and asked if she was going. I needed a ride.”

I rolled my eyes, “No you didn’t.”

He shrugged, “So?”

Joey ignored our banter, tapping her foot impatiently. “Are you two done yet?”

“I guess.”

“Good, come on, let’s go get ice cream or something.”

“Actually…”

Joey pouted, “Actually what?”

“This girl… I was going to take her out to dinner…” I trailed off, scratching the back of my neck nervously.

“Is it Rose?”

I gave her a skeptic look, “How do you know who Rose is?”

Joey glanced at my best friend, who gave me a guilty smile.

“I asked him why you joined the Drama club, and he said it was because of some girl named Rose.”

“Sorry, man.”

“Dude, it so was not!” I argued, “I needed the extra credit.”

“Whatever,” Joey waved us off, clearly getting annoyed with our fighting, “Bring her along. I’m pregnant, and I want ice cream. We’re going.”

“Do I get to ride with the pretty lady?” Rodger grinned.

“Nope.” I grabbed the collar of his shirt, leaning down to give my sister a kiss on the cheek, “I’ll see you at there. I’m taking the moron away from you.”

“Thanks Mase.”

Rodger and I made our way out to the car slowly. The silence hit us as we exited, one of the only few leaving. Most people were still conversing with family and friends in the lobby or getting changed backstage.

“You were pretty good, man.” Rodger said.

“Thanks.”

“I didn’t know you had the lead role.”

“Neither did I.” I chuckled, shaking my head, “I was the understudy. I was never supposed to play Phantom. Pierce just didn’t show up.”

Rodger scowled, “That’s who was playing Phantom?”

I nodded.

“Good thing we came on the night you did. I don’t think I could’ve sat through the play if I had to listen to him sing.”

I laughed, “Imagine practice.”

He shuddered.

“Yeah, it was bad.”

I unlocked the car doors as we approached. Rodger started to climb into the passenger seat when I stopped him, giving him a look.

“Rose is coming with us.”
“So?”

“Back seat.”

He flicked me off. “Don’t you start turning into some pussy-whipped little boy now or I’ll kick your ass.”

“Don’t worry, man, I won’t.”

He climbed into the back, stretching out across the whole seat, “Don’t know why I couldn’t just ride with your sister.”

“Because she has enough trouble from Caden at the moment. We don’t need you making the moves on her too.”

“What’s up with them?”

“Caden got her pregnant and bailed.”

Rodger inhaled sharply, “Ouch. I knew she was pregnant, but I didn’t realize the little prick up and left.”

“Yeah,”

“Sorry, bro.”

“I don’t care. He was a douche.”

“Think they’ll ever get back together?”

I sighed, rubbing my eyes, “Oh yeah. They’ve always had a messed up relationship. Never abusive, but borderline. But they need each other. Caden’s been asking for her forgiveness. Sooner or later she’ll give it to him.”

“What’re you going to do?”

“Deal with it.”

“That sucks bro.”

I nodded.

Rodger was silent for a moment, “So, wouldn’t you rather have me vainly hitting on your sister than this guy who actually has a chance?”

“I’d rather neither of you…”

“But if you had to choose.”

“Neither.”

“Mason!”

I rolled my eyes, “Just leave it go Rodger. Don’t bring it up.”

He scowled, but settled back into his seat, “You’re no fun sometimes, dude.”

“I’m hella fun.”

My eyes fell on the blonde walking toward my car. She walked with a girl from stage crew, carrying a few roses.

“Shit.”

“What?” Rodger asked.

“I should’ve gotten Rose flowers.”

“Pussy-whipped.” He sang it in a feminine voice.

I reached behind and slammed my fist into his leg. Rodger groaned, laughing darkly. “Dude you so are!”

“Shut it.”

“Dude, you were both in the play. There’s no way you would’ve had time to buy them. She knows this. Deal with it.”

I scowled at his blunt way of stating the obvious.

Rose waved goodbye to her friend before meeting my eyes through the windshield. She climbed into the passenger seat, mumbling a hello to Rodger.

He greeted with a disgruntled hey back.

“We’re going with my sister and this idiot to get ice cream.”

“Sounds good.” She closed the car door, buckling in.

I pulled out of the parking lot and headed towards the ice cream shop that Joey and I had gone to since we were little.
♠ ♠ ♠
Double updates, FTW.
One chapter & an epilogue left!