Status: Active-ish :)

Losing Innocence

Five

“Rylon can I ask you something?” Miki asked after the song was over.

“Yeah.” I looked behind me to make sure I could get over.

“Do you think my mom regrets what she did?” I could hear the tears in her voice.

“I don’t know. Why did she leave?” I replied.

“She said my dad cheated on her but I don’t believe that. He wouldn’t do that to her.”

“Have you talked to her?” I pulled into the parking lot of the mall.

“No. She’s tried to a couple times but I didn’t respond. I don’t think she deserves to hear from the daughter she left behind.” she undid her seat belt.

I put the car in park, pulled the keys out of the ignition grabbed my wristlet and got out. “I agree with you there but don’t you want to know why she left?” I took her hand in mine lacing our fingers together.

“Yeah, but I think if I asked her she’ll just tell me it was because my dad cheated on her. I know she’ll lie to me.” she looked around as we walked in.

“Well all you can do is try.” I gave her hand a gentle squeeze causing her to smile.

“Okay.” she sighed. “Why did you change the subject this morning when I asked you about your dream?” she looked at me.

I quickly tensed but then relaxed, “I just didn’t want to talk about it. It wasn’t a big deal.”

“Ry, you’ve stayed at my house a thousand times and you have never done that.”

A tear slid down my cheek and I didn’t wipe it away quick enough for her not to see it.

“Please Miki just drop it. I really don’t want to talk about it.” another tear slid down.

“Then why are you so upset?” she wiped the tear away.

“Because I never wanted you to know. I was hoping you never had to know.” I looked away from her spotting PacSun. “Let’s go in here.”

“So what is it about your dad that you don’t want me to know?” she looked through a rack.

“He’s not the same man that you met. That’s all.” I found a dress that I wanted to try on.

“What does that mean?” she followed me through the store.

“He’s just different. He meaner.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Meaner to you?” she asked.

I nodded my head once.

“Rylon why haven’t you told me this?” she asked picking up a pair of shorts.

“Because I knew I could handle it. And it doesn’t happen often anymore. Last night I just remembered one bad time. That’s all.” I shrugged my shoulders.

“Ry you better promise me that if anything gets worse you tell me. I mean it.” she looked at me.

“Okay.” I nodded.

“You need to try that dress on.” she smiled.

“I am. I’m getting other stuff too.” I smiled back.

We found more stuff to try on then went to the dressing rooms. I tried my dress on which I instantly fell in love with. Then I tried on the other things I picked up but I didn’t like any of them.

“Did anything work?” Miki asked me as we walked out.

“The dress, but that’s it. You?” I replied.

“The shorts and the shirt. I didn’t like the way the rest of it looked on me.” we put the rejects on the rack.

“So are you done?” I asked.

Miki nodded her head.

“Let’s check out.” I smiled.

I paid for our stuff and we walked back into the mall.

“Where to?” Miki asked as she took my hand in hers.

“American Eagle is having a sale.” I smiled.

“Then come on.” she dragged me into the store.

“Hey girls, welcome to American Eagle. Just so you know all AE shorts are on sale. Buy one get the second half off. Graphic T’s are the same way.” the little girl said as we walked in.

“Thanks.” we said together.

“No problem. If you need anything don’t hesitate to ask.” she smiled.

We nodded our heads heading straight for the shorts. I picked up a pair of shortie’s and held them up to my hips.

“Oh yes. You have to try those on.” Miki said.

“Yeah? You don’t think they’re too short?” I looked down.

“Hon, that’s the point.” she laughed.

“Here you try them on too.” I handed her a pair in her size.

“Okay.” she smiled.

I picked up more shorts, a couple shirts, and some skirts. Mikayla grabbed more shorts, skirts, and a couple dresses. We asked for rooms and went to try on.

“Do you want separate rooms?” the girl asked.

“Nah we’re comfortable with each other.” Miki answered.

“Okay.” the girl nodded her head. She opened the door and we walked in.

Miki handed me the shortie’s and a tank top. “These first.” she smiled.

I changed out of my clothes and into the ones Miki was holding. I looked in the mirror after I got them on and smiled.

“If you don’t buy them I will.” she smiled.

“They look okay?” I turned in every direction.

“Babe they look amazing.” she looked at me in the mirror.

“Okay.” I took off what I had on and put on the bench next to Miki then put on the rest of the clothes I wanted to try on. After I was done Miki tried her clothes on.

I grabbed the shortie’s and handed them to her. “These first.” I smiled.

She laughed and put them on.

“Damn. Your legs look a million miles long.” I smiled.

“Thanks.” she smiled then turned to the mirror. “Oh I am totally getting these.”

She tried on the rest of her clothes and we both walked out with two pairs of shortie’s, some skirts, and a couple shirts. My phone started singing lollipop telling me somebody had texted me. I pulled out my phone to see it was Jake,

“Who is it?” Miki asked.

“Jake.” I replied.

“What did he want?” she asked.

“To see if we were going to the show tonight.

“There’s a show tonight?” she looked puzzled.

“That’s what I said.” I laughed.

“When, where?” she smiled.

“Chill. I’m finding out. We’re going.” I smiled.

“Was that Framing Hanley singing?” she asked.

“Yeah.” I laughed.

“How did you get that as a ringtone?” she asked as we walked into the food court.

“Bought it from iTunes. And the video.” my phone started singing telling me Jake had finally texted back.

“Where is it?” Miki impatiently asked.

“Here in West Palm at seven.” I said as I typed a reply to Jake.

“Yay.” she laughed.

“So now that we have a show to go to what am I going to wear?” I tapped my chin like I was thinking intently.

“The shorts we just bought.” Miki said.

“First, what are we gonna eat?” I looked around the food court.

“Lotus Express?” she pointed to the first restaurant.

“Yes. I have been craving it.” I smiled.

We ordered our food then found a table.

“So shorts tonight?” I asked after a few minutes of silence.

“Yeah.” she nodded her head.

“What shirt?” I moved the vegetables around on my plate.

“What about that shirt you bought from American Eagle?” she took a bite of her chicken.

“I don’t know. I think we have to find something.” I took another bite then my phone started singing again. I looked at my phone to see my dad calling me.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Where are you?”

I could hear the anger in his voice.

“West Palm.” I motioned to Miki that we needed to leave.

“West Palm?! What the hell are you doing there?” he yelled.

“Because I needed some things. Chill I’m not spending your money.” I rolled my eyes.

“You know you have to ask permission to leave the town.”

“Says who?!” I could hear my voice raising so I walked outside.

“Your father!” he boomed.

“What father?! You know what, now is not the time to have this argument. I am not going to deal with you right now. If you call me again I swear to you I will call the police.” an angry tear slipped down my cheek.

“Bull shit. You wouldn’t dare call the cops. You’ve got nothing on me.” I could hear the sinister smile in his voice.

“Wanna bet? Try me.” I hung up on him and sat on the bench.

Miki sat next to me and rubbed my back soothingly. More tears slipped down my cheek.

I wiped the tears away and stood up. “I refuse to let him ruin my day.” I smiled at Miki.

“You don’t want to talk?” she took my hand in hers.

“Not right now. I wanna go find a the rest of my outfit for tonight.” we walked back inside.

“So where to?” Miki asked.

“Hot Topic.” I smiled.

“Sweet.” we laughed.

We walked through the mall discussing our plans for the night.

“Ew.” I heard somebody say as we walked past a store.

“Excuse me?” Mikayla turned around to the people standing in the doorway of the store.

“You heard me.” the guy replied.

“Miki just come on. It’s not worth it.” I pulled on her hand.

“Yeah Miki, it’s not worth it. Listen to your little gay lover.” the guy looked at his friends who chuckled.

“Wow. Little gay lover is the best you can come up with?” Miki laughed.

“You better shut your mouth bitch.” the guy pushed himself off the doorway.

“Ah stepping up your vocabulary.” Miki nodded her head.

“Miki please don’t do this.” I said pulling at her hand trying to pull her away.

“I think you need to start listening to your little voices.” the guy towered over Miki but she showed no fear.

“If I listened to all the little voices I heard you’d be laying on the floor.” she cocked her head and smiled.

“Hit me I dare you. See how fast you’ll be laid out.” the closer he got the harder I pulled on her arm.

“Please don’t.” I whispered in her ear.

“Ry I have to now.” she whispered back.

She swung her fist out while the guy wasn’t looking but I caught her hand before she hit him.

“Stop.” I got in front of her and pushed her back.

“Yeah, push her away.” the guy and his friends laughed.

“If you move from this spot I swear I will take you home without going to the concert.” I looked Miki in the eye. She nodded. I turned on my heel back towards the guy.

“Listen here bastard. You have no fucking right to sit there and judge us when you know you would pay to watch us. So look we’re gonna walk away and let you have your pride and you can tell your little pussy friends that wouldn’t help you that you beat up a girl. But you are not going to hit her.” I turned toward Miki.

“You call us a pussy when you’re the one walking away?” I heard one of his friends say.

I turned back around. “Hm I didn’t hear you. What did you call me?” I stepped toward the guy who was talking.

“Pussy.” he turned to his friend and smiled.

I balled up my right fist and hit him square in his jaw.

“Now what did you call me?” I asked then I turned around, grabbed Miki’s hand and drug her away. When I looked back the guy I hit was being held back by his friends.

“Damn Ry.” Miki said as we walked into Hot Topic.

“What?” I asked shyly.

“Didn’t know you had that in you.” Miki smiled.

“I wasn’t gonna let him hit you. And I knew if you hit him that’s exactly what he was gonna do.” I shrugged.

“Still. Impressive.” she kissed me.

I saw a shirt that caught my eye when I walked in. I picked it up off the rack, found a mirror, and held it up to myself. I smiled.

“I found the shirt I’m wearing.” I said as I walked up behind Miki.

“Let me see.” she turned around.

“No. I want you to see it tonight.” I held the shirt behind my back.

“Okay.” she sighed.

“Wanna go to Journey’s?” I asked as we walked to the register.

“Yeah.” she nodded her head.

“Close your eyes. No peeking.” I said when we got to the register.

She closed her eyes and put her hands over them. “Hurry up.” she giggled.

“I’m going.” I paid for the shirt and thanked the guy.

“K. Journey’s.” I smiled. We walked to Journey’s discussing what we were wearing tonight. I found the shoes I wanted and Miki found a pair too. Then we walked back to the car and headed to where the concert was being held.