Status: Getting back into it

It's Not Easy Romancing a Stone

Chapter Twelve

The drive with Tyler was nothing like the previous. There was no forcing me into the car, no clenched jaws or white knuckles. Although I must admit that I wouldn't have minded his hands on my skin again.

Wait did I rally just say that? What is wrong with me? I hate him. I can't stand him and his arrogance. That was what made me different, I can't be like those other girls, well every other girl. I don't want to give him the control of knowing I was actually melting from the inside out. He was so sweet. He's nothing like I thought he would be. In the middle of my mental argument, I noticed that Tyler was waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?" I blinked a few times, then focused my eyes on him.

"You were mumbling something, is this some sort of post competition ritual I should know about?" He smiled. Damn his stupid smile.

I just shrugged my shoulders and went back to looking out the window, watching the city pass us by.
The main reason why I didn't answer was because I was lost for words really. I was too busy taking in his appearance. This was the first time that I've really got a good look at him without other people around, and I made a few notes: First off, contrary to my earlier observation, his hair was actually sort of a chocolate color. Mud doesn't come close to what it actually looks like this close. Another thing was that when he smiled, when he really smiled, he looks Asian because his eyes squint so much. But, not only do his eyes squint, he also has lines right below his cheeks that crinkle up too. The final thing I've noticed about him in this ride so far was that whenever I said something to him, his face would stay calm but the tips of his ears would turn red. It was quite possibly one of the cutest things ever.

"Did I do something..?" Tyler said in an unsure voice.

"What do you mean? We've barley spoken this entire ride."

"Exactly, are you okay? Are you still bummed about not going to nationals? Because you shouldn't be, you were amazing out there with the-" I cut him off

"Tyler I'm fine! Really I'm just thinking." He was about to speak but then we pulled up to the hospital and I told him where to park. He got the ticket and we found parking, and proceeded to walk up to the building.

"So are you going to tell me why were at Children's Hospital right now? " He held the door open for me and I blushed once again, damn you Seguin.

"It's a surprise! Please be patient!" I smiled and pressed the 4 on the elevator, waiting for it to arrive. Tyler and I stepped in and it didn't take long for it to go up four flights. It opened and I was greeted to an all too familiar scene.

"Radiology and Pediatrics ?" Tyler looked confused as we stepped out. I went to go talk to Shelly, the one doctor I knew in the entire building.

"Vanessa what is this all about?" He grabbed my hand and turned me around.

I shook my hand out of his grip.
"Please trust me and just wait here." I begged him with my eyes and he exhaled and ran his rand through his hair, another nervous habit he had, but he sat down in the waiting area.

I turned and went to the desk asking for Shelly, and soon enough she came out and greeted me. We were talking and then she brought it up.

"How did you competition go yesterday? Second place is amazing Vanessa congratulations!" I blushed and thanked here and she continued.

"I heard Tyler Seguin from the Bruins was there, did you see him? Our kids have been wanting to go to a game for so long, just watching the games on the TV and seeing smiles on their faces is priceless." I could hold it in much longer.

"I actually brought a visitor with me, do you mind if we go visit Sam and some of the other kids?" My cheeks were hurting from smiling so big.

"Of course! Just make sure you suit up, I'll wait right here for you to go and get her." Shelley smiled. Her? She was in for a surprise.

I walked back to the waiting area where Tyler was picking at his fingers. I told him to follow me and walked back over to Shelley.

When she looked up and saw who was following behind me, her face flushed.

"Tyler this is Shelley, Shelley this is Tyler." He reached out his hand stepping in front of me to introduce himself. Her jaw was slightly ajar and his hand was still extended. She realized she had been caught staring and blushed.

"Wow, Hi Tyler, I can't believe your actually here, so many of the kids will be ecstatic. It will mean more to them then you will ever know." He smiled but looked confused as she handed us masks to put over our mouths.

"Did Vanessa not tell you?" Tyler shook his head and looked at me.

"This is the Radiology floor of Children's, kids who have been diagnosed with leukemia or some sort of cancer get treated here. Vanessa is a regular visitor." She was acting like my wing man, this was getting a little bit embarrassing.

Tyler didn't say anything after he put his mask on and we walked through the push doors, when we turned into Sam's room, I smiled when I saw he was awake and wearing a Bruins jersey and the Panthers hat that I had given him a few weeks ago. I told Tyler to wait outside.

"Hey buddy! How are you?" Sam looked over and ran over to me, embracing me in a bone crushing hug.

"Hey Vanessa I was just watching the Bruins game! Well the one from two nights ago because they go on too late for me to stay up to watch." He was bouncing off the walls with energy, talking so fast I could barely keep up.

"Oh yeah, and who is your favorite Bruin?" I smiled and sat down on his bed and pulled him up next to me.

"Probably Chara, he's so tall! Or Seguin, I want to meet him and have him sign my jersey! He s the same age as my brother, that's so cool!" I couldn't wait any longer, I had to tell Tyler to come in.
"Well my little Bruins fan, your wish is about to be granted!" His face looked confused to I walked out to the hallway to get Tyler, he was just finishing up a little girl's autograph.

"Thank you so much Mr. Seguin! And good luck at your next game! She squeaked and ran off with a huge smile on her face. He looked up at me without saying anything just with a look of amazement on his face.

"Come one Tyler there's someone I want you to meet"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back! Hope you guys like it! Sort of a filler chapter but I'm just getting back into the swing of things! Your reviews are always appreciated!
Happy Birthday to Tyler, 21 ;)