Status: 27th July 2014: REWORKING THIS STORY - CHANGED CHAPTERS HAVE DIFFERENT TITLES.

The Dates.

Nine.

Just as I thought it would, the next two periods before lunch dragged on and on, as if it was some huge, cruel joke that I should suffer some more from my anxiety. Jake kept a firm hold on me, making sure that I didn’t run off in panic.

When the bell finally rang, I was quaking in my seat and was so far past keeping a sensible head that I allowed Jake to tow me to the bench where the interviews were going to be held. He forced me to sit on the wooden seat and only let go when he was sure I wasn’t going to leg it.

Jake, who had just perched close enough to grab my arm if he saw any signs of tension from me, was staring open mouthed at the girl who had seated herself in front of us. Rebecca Grey glared back, as if daring him to say anything about her darkened hair or the thick eye liner that rimmed her eyes.

Holding out a finger to her, Jake shoved back from the table and motioned for me to copy him. When I leaned back, he shuffled on the bench closer to me, like he didn’t want Rebecca to hear.

“Dude, she’s gone way more Goth than when I last saw her. Look at her!” he whispered urgently in my ear. “The way she’s looking at me…I think she wants to hurt me, Andy!”

“She does not want to hurt you. Just give her a chance or something, dude.” I mumbled back, starting to move away from him until he grabbed my arm to stop me.

“Yeah, you’ll wish you hadn’t said that when she’s got you in a head lock in a dark alley somewhere.” Jake hissed insistently. “She seems like the person to watch wrestling. She might support the Undertaker and go all Chokeslam on your ass.”

“Jake, I don’t think she’ll perform a wrestling move on me. Stop being such a…”

A cough interrupted me and I turned slowly to face Rebecca Grey. She had been watching us argue quietly, her eyebrow was raised as she tapped her nails against the wooden table top. I felt my face heating up.

“Are you done nagging at each other now? Have you finally decided if I’m going to wrestle you?” she asked sarcastically, her face turning red even underneath the white powder make up.

Jake looked across at me, his face terrified. Obviously, he was sticking with his theory of her being a Goth amateur wrestler. He probably thought that she would kick our butts and that freaked him out most of all; to be defeated by a girl who carried a ripped up teddy bear bag everywhere. I almost laughed when I saw him eying the bear bag, taking in the missing nose and the slashed head.

“I’m sorry, Rebecca. Jake usually…says stuff…”

I had started apologising to her but her face made the sentence fade out as it was leaving my mouth. I grabbed the clipboard and scribbled ‘she might be a no.’ down before handing it to Jake. He nodded fervently.

“Right, well. Shall we get this show on the road?” Jake said, making an effort to get this particular interview over and done with.

“Yeah, let’s start with the questions.” I agreed, my eyes never leaving Rebecca’s face. She was starting to give me the creeps.

I flipped over a page on the clipboard and scanned through the list of questions. Looking at them, I hoped she didn’t get offended at any; she just seemed like she wouldn’t be happy no matter what I asked her. Already she looked bored, picking fluff from her jumper.

“So, um…what’s your favourite colour?” I muttered, feeling stupid as I looked over her outfit that consisted of nothing but black.

“Pink.” She replied mockingly. “Obviously it’s black, what do you think?”

I could only shrug ruefully and hurriedly moved onto the next question.

“Um, what would be your idea of the perfect night out?” I read out, casting an exasperated look to Jake. Where did he get these questions from? Did he find them in a girl’s magazine?

As expected, Rebecca sighed loudly, like she couldn’t be bothered with this anymore.

“Well, hanging out in the local graveyard, sacrificing baby animals, wishing that I was a vampire. That’s what you think I’d like, right?” she speculated emotionlessly.

Secretly, I wanted to say yes. I wanted to say I was pretty damn sure that was what she liked to do with her spare time because if I’m being honest, she was giving me that impression.

Jake tapped my shoulder and I turned my head to him. I had almost forgotten he was there; he was being abnormally silent.

“Dude, she’s out.” he said simply.

Not making any reaction to his words, I focused back to the interview and decided to call it quits with Rebecca.

“You seem like you don’t want to be here.” I observed while she was texting on her phone.

“That’s because I don’t, dumbass. I’m here on a dare and I was brainless enough to go through with it.”

I didn’t particularly like her but that still stung a little. It must have shown on my face because she rolled her eyes at me coldly.

“Why do you think I’m here…to boost my ego? Get over yourself, Dawes.” She said as she stood up from the bench.

“Hey, wait just a freaking second, princess of darkness.” Jake called after her indignantly as she walked away.

He moved to follow her but I stopped him, holding his bag as he swung wildly around trying to go after Rebecca’s retreating dark figure.

“No one talks to my best friend like that!” he huffed, resigning to the fact that I wasn't going to let go. He dropped back into his seat again, his face screwed up from anger.

“Let it go, Jake. I’m fine, really.” I assured him as I patted him on the back. "Let's just hope the next one is better."