Status: finished; won second place.

Forever Alone

1/1

I didn't want to walk by this place after what happened last year, but it was my only way home. The way the mist covered the forest ground, the bare empty trees looked for god knows how long. Why oh why did this have to be the only way to my house.

*Beep Beep*

I looked down at my cellphone to see that I had received a text message. When I opened it, I knew nothing would be the same. Why oh why did this have to be the only way to my house.

Ready to die, Anna-bee?

It wasn't the words that scared me, the way the forest seemed to become more darker than it was before, or the way the mist seemed to reach out towards the pathway. that I was on. No, what scared me the most was the nickname "Anna-bee". Now to others that wouldn't seem like a big deal. To me; it was. My best friend for three years was kidnapped by the same forest I was right now. My best friend was later found early of last year murdered; execution style. So the nickname that she used to call me coming from a dead person is indeed strange.

*Beep Beep*

I heard once again that I received another test message. This time I was even more scared to just open it. But I did and I still have no idea why.

Daydreaming while walking is very dangerous. You could trip over a pot hole just like the one in front of you.

I quickly looked up only to see the said pot hole that I was about to trip over. I sidestepped over it; wondering how she knew about the pot hole. That question kept replaying in my mind so much that I didn't hear the quiet foot steps and quiet raspy voice behind.

I was almost home now so close that I could actually see the driveway to know that my mother was home, probably cooking steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans (it was after all Thursday and she always seemed to make that meal no matter what). What I didn't notice however was that someone with a dark hoodie with a tiny bit of blonde curls peaking through and came up behind me and wrapped both of their hands around my waist.

I screamed and tried to fight back, but as they whispered into my ear You never really did answer my question. I saw a white towel pressed against my nose. I slowly losing consciousness and the last thing I saw before before completely going unconsciousness was the person pulling me into the forest.

I woke up from my bed and realized that the purple comforter had fallen away. My eyesight was still blurry as I looked over to the night stand where my digital clock sat reading 1:35 am. That's weird I thought because that was the same time that my best friend's body was found in the forest.

So Anna-bee, how was your nightmare?

The last thing I saw was the shine of the knife from the full moon outside my window and my best friends' blonde curls before I felt the knife go through my neck.

And the last thing I thought was about how all my friends left me because I had become depressed about Sarah's death. Guess it's true that sometimes, somewhere, someone is forever alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
My FIRST ever thriller one-shot. So please if you must critic; do it gently because as I said, this is my FIRST.