Someone's Precious

Mennonite

The three men exchanged a look before turning their attention to the house. Xavier sat in his wheelchair at the front of their trio. He had wanted to come personally. The power he had felt here...it was odd. It was different. There was a constant thrum of it, not minimal, but actually in use as if the mutant needed the power to survive. It had intrigued him to say the least. It was why he had gone with Logan and Scott to look into it.

That and someone had to keep the two men from killing each other.

"Are you sure this is the place?" Logan asked skeptically arching a dark eyebrow.

Xavier and Scott both looked at him at the same time. Scott was glaring at him which didn't bother him but Xavier was giving him one of those enigmatic looks which made him feel like he was just a little kid, something he was fairly certain that he was not. "What?" he retorted before shaking his head and looked away. "Let's just get this done and over with okay?"

"Logan is quite right about that," Xavier agreed as they wheeled towards the house. A small set of stairs required that one of the men go up them and knock on the door while the other remained on the uneven ground below with the Professor watching and waiting until a woman came to the door, looking at the three of them with a furrowed brow and something like anxiousness in her eyes.

"Can I help you?" she asked in thickly accented English. The woman was a Mennonite and while she knew English, it was clear that it was not a language she spoke often.

Xavier smiled up at the woman, that friendly, charming smile that helped to bely what kind of man he really was. "My name is Professor Charles Xavier. We wanted to speak to you about the possibility of accepting one of-"

The woman had already taken a step back into the house and was yelling over her shoulder in quick German. Xavier understood the words and his brow furrowed. Scott looked back over his shoulder at the professor. "What just happened?" he asked.

"Scott, I want you to go in the house, you as well Logan. Go up the stairs and you'll find a little opening to a ladder that leads up to an attic."

"Wait," Logan said raising a hand."How do you even know that?" Scott rolled his eyes moving down the stairs and grabbing Logan's arm which was roughly jerked from his grasp.

Logan, I need you to trust me, The professor's thoughts drifted into his mind. Logan shook his head as if to dislodge them. I will explain later, he vowed. Logan hesitated a moment longer before stalking into the house. The woman who had answered the door screamed as she saw him and Scott storm up the stairs and towards her dark secret. God help them, this couldn't be happening!
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so I know it's short and kind of odd, but I promise there is a reason for it. It's mostly because the real stuff starts in the next chapter but I wanted to explain what was happening.