Sequel: Visit

Vampiric Visits

Chapter four: Introduced

“What are you so excited about?” I asked May as we walked to our first hour class that Monday morning. She was even more jumpy than usual, that same energy she held about herself when she found a boy to obsess over hung in the air.

“I’ve heard rumors that there’s a new boy arriving today,” she giggled rather loudly. I raised my eyebrows.

“There are already rumors going around?” I stated more than asked. Another considerable amount of giggles erupted from her.

“Oh, Anna; this is school! Of course there will already be rumors spread about this new student,” we wandered into the classroom then, taking our seats at our desks. A loud sigh escaped me as I sat. “I hear that he’s extremely good-looking and filthy rich.

My eyes widened as I gaped at her. This was my best friend? I could no longer appreciate her the way I used to; she was too shallow.

I placed my books on my desk, pulling open a notebook and scrawling a few words across the top of the page. The teacher at the front of the room began to write on the board with a stunningly white piece of chalk, beginning to write how the next three weeks would go on.

“Do you know anything, really, about this new student?” I turned my head slightly in her direction, keeping my gaze on my notebook and the chalk board. I copied the schedule Mister Dulotte was writing across the board.

“Well, I saw him up at the office before you arrived…” she trailed off, and I knew then that she was about to do her best in describing this new boy.

“He has somewhat long, curly blond hair, and these dazzling blue eyes. His blond eyebrows are slightly angled, but even so: he looks innocent and kind. His skin is pale, and his nose is lightly dotted with barely visible freckles. His lips are thin, and his smile is an almost blinding white. The tips of his ears- I could see them poking past his hair- are pointed. I think-“

“Alright, thanks for the description,” I interrupted her before she admitted her crazy assumptions. “Have you actually spoken to him?”

“Well, no I haven’t, but he has a really nice smile…” I shook my head at her. “Well, we’ll get the chance to talk to him during lunch. That is, if Janet and her cronies don’t get to him first…”

The bell rang, momentarily stopping all conversation within the room. A young man fitting the description May had just given walked into the classroom, and the teacher stopped writing to shake hands with him.

“Is that him?” I whispered to May. Her nod made my cheeks heat up for some reason. He was good-looking.

“Isn’t he hot?” before I could respond with a no, Mister Dulotte spoke.

“Alright, class, quiet down,” he sounded more irritated than usual. “As many of you have all somehow heard, we have received a new student on such short notice. Nathaniel Rephauds, would you care to introduce yourself? Just tell the class a little bit about yourself.” The blond boy standing beside the balding, slightly plump man gave a weak smile.

“Hi, everyone,” he mumbled, gaze scanning the class. It may have been my imagination, but when his gaze landed on me, his eyes seemed to glitter and his smile seemed to grow. With a stronger voice, he spoke, “It is a pleasure to meet you all. I know it’s a little weird to be showing up toward the end of the year, but there really was no choice for me.”

He paused for a moment, his gaze stopping on me again. I couldn’t help, but to smile back at him.

“You don’t have to call me Nathaniel; Nate works just as well. Uh, could I go find a seat now?" Mister Dulotte seemed irritated, but he nodded.

"There's a free seat behind Anna Ringard over there," the teacher pointed in my direction. Blood suddenly running cold, I froze. There would be someone sitting behind me? I remembered times where I would think that the seat behind me would always remain empty.

The new boy smiled genuinely at Mister Dulotte before nodding and wandering over to me. May, seated next to me, elbowed me lightly and giggled. I sighed, feeling very overwhelmed in that moment.

"Looks like we get to learn all about him before Janet does!" she whispered before Nathaniel approached.

He stopped in front of me for a small moment that seemed to last much longer than it did.

"Pleased to meet you, Anna," he murmured to me.

His oddly handsome appearance struck me fully then. I took in the way his features looked perfect somehow; the way the light seemed to cause his eyes to glitter. The polite, yet friendly smile on his face was contagious. In the moments I had first met him, he grew from being the new boy to the new man.

He was soon seated behind me, and my heart pounded in my chest as class finally started.

May passed me a note then, and I carefully opened and read it.

Do you think maybe, when the bell rings, we could ask him to come find us and sit with us at lunch?

I sighed and wrote quickly, soon passing the paper back to her.

Sounds just fine to me, I guess.

A few moments went by, and as I copied notes on what Mister Dulotte would soon be drilling into our heads down into my notebook, May studied me very carefully. The paper was soon handed back to me.

I think this is your chance to find love, Anna. I'll keep my paws off of him just for you. Please, at least give him a chance. And I could see it in the way you looked at him when he entered the classroom: you like him.

I glanced at May from the corner of my eye, feeling defeated then. My thoughts slowly swirled around in my head, and I thought to myself, yes, I do like him. May gave a nod of understanding then, and started taking notes.

What a strange attraction I felt; I certainly did not believe in love at first sight. This was most definitely just one of those small school-girl crushes.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. I'm really wondering if I should continue writing this. I have another story that really needs my attention far more than this one does, because I have plans for the series that it is a part of.
Feedback is greatly appreciated.