Secret Destroyers.

Two.

The strident sirens in the distance awoke me with a start. My face was dampened in a cold sweat and I was shaking. The haunting sirens faded gradually until the unusually warm night was silent again, but the sound lingered in my head. Whee-oh-whee-oh.

“Gerard?” My voice was barely above a whisper. Tears pricked my eyes as the sirens continued inside my aching head, leisurely increasing in sound.

“Yes?” He muttered drowsily, turning over robotically in his cot to stare at me. His orbs glistened in the small stream of moonlight that shone through the dark curtains.

I swallowed hard and chewed anxiously on my lip. The familiar metallic taste filled my mouth and I cringed. “Do you think…” I twisted the edge of my colorful blanket into a knot, “… that the Green Police are going to you know… come for us?”

He was silent for a minute before speaking up again. “No. I’m not Jewish and neither are you. There is nothing to worry about. Goodnight.” He stated bluntly. He turned to face the wall and pretended to be asleep. I sighed, reaching over to tap his shoulder.

“But I mean… well, we are … gay.” My voice cracked slightly.

It was his turn to sigh now. He scooted over in his cot a tad and patting the spot next to him gently. I graciously accepted and moved closer to him, still shivering from the fear that constantly enveloped me.

“You cold?” He asked softly, letting his arm fall limp around my petite frame.

“A little,” I lied. I really just wanted him closer to me. Even if Gerard wasn’t all that tough or muscular, I felt far safer when his pale arms held me securely against his chest so that I was able to feel the rhythm of his mesmerizing heartbeats.

“You don’t have much to worry about, Franklin. I’m perfectly sure that we are going to be fine. Worst-case scenario: things around in Poland get drastic. We can … well… we can … we can go into hiding. Robert was willing to hide Raymond, I’m sure he’d help us. He is one of the Aryans, you know. Just… don’t even think about it. Everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Just sleep, sugar.”

He began to hum softly and stroke the side of my face. His long bony fingers felt like ice against my fiery flesh. The sirens started off in the distance again and I could feel Gerard’s body go stiff.

“All is well,” He repeated again, his tone was arresting and sober despite his pained facial expression.