Shake Me Down

002

"Happy birthday Ellie!" Dawn Starr said to Ellie as she walked into the kitchen rubbing her eyes which were still blue.

"Thank you." Ellie said sitting down at the island where her mother was setting down a plate with blueberry pancakes. Ellie licked her lips before digging in. "Weres dad?" she asked with her mouth still full.

"He has to work for a few hours. He'll be home around one. Marla wants us over there around 4, and she said Jack wants to take you to the meadow tonight too."

"He said it was my present! Can we stay out there longer to see the stars?"

Dawn sighed. "Just this night, I don't like the thought of you being out there after dark."

"It'll be fine! It's not that far from home anyways!" Ellie said, Dawn nodded.

The day moved by pretty quickly and slowed down when it came time to have her birthday dinner with the Greyson's. Dinner moved by slowly, as soon as they finished Ellie rushed everyone with her cake, she blew out the candles quickly and hurried to eat her slice. As soon as everyone else finished she hurried to open presents.

"So how's it feel to be 13?" Thomas asked before taking a drink of his beer.

"The same as being 12." Ellie said with a sad expression; they all chuckled.

"Sounds normal." Frank Starr said handing Ellie her last present. She opened it in a hurry to reveal a pair of shoes she had been wanting. She squealed in excitement and kicked off her flip flops and slipped the shoes on.

"Thanks guys! Now can we go to the meadow now?" Ellie asked impatiently, Marla smiled.

"It's alright with me." Marla answered, Dawn nodded.

"Just don't be out too late!" Dawn yelled after Ellie and Jack as the rushed towards the back door.

"I didn't get any pains today!" Ellie said as they entered the woods.

"Good! You should still go to the hospital tomorrow like you promised my mom you would." Jack answered.

"I know...I will. I'm glad my eyes are still blue!" she said with a grin.

"...Mine are green."

"I know that silly!" Ellie said with a laugh and he tapped her shoulder before saying 'Race ya!' and he took off running. "Hey! No fair cheater!" she yelled before she ran after him.

They raced until they reached the meadow and smack dab in the middle of the meadow was a Maple tree. Tons of flowers all around, she smiled and started to run towards the tree, Jack smiled and followed after her. She fell to the ground as she reached the tree and laughed as she rolled onto her back and looked up at the sky which was getting darker and darker. She could already see a few stars and the full moon was out already. Jack sat down beside her.

"Happy birthday Ellie." he said with a small smile, she smiled back at him.

"Thank you Jack. We're going to be friends forever." she said sitting up and giving him a hug; he stiffened. She'd never had hugged him before, and he kind of liked the feel of her arms around him, he returned her hug.

"Look a shooting star!" Ellie said pointing up at the sky, a few hours had passed by and all the stars shone brightly for them.

"Make a wish." Jack said, she smiled and nodded before closing her eyes. When she opened them Jack was looking at her. "What'd you wish for?"

"If I told you it wouldn't come true silly!" she said; she stood up and walked over to a flower she saw that stuck out amongst the rest as she bent over to pick it pain shot through her entire body. She screamed out and dropped to her knees, her whole body heated up and pain engulfed her. Jack stood up quickly and went to walked towards her but stopped as her whole body lit up. His eyes widened.

"Ellie!" he yelled out before the light got brighter making him turn his head, he heard her scream again and her scream faded into a howl. Jack stumbled back before tripping over his own feeting and landed on his butt. When he looked up towards Ellie a white wolf stood in her place. The wolf was larger then wolves he's seen at the zoo. "El-ellie?" he asked standing to his feet. The white wolf let out a whine and began to look panicked, Jack couldn't believe what he was seeing.

"No one would believe this." Jack said before the white wolf ran up to him whining. "Whatever you did Ellie undo it!"