Forever Praying

The Beginning

Candide didn’t sleep a wink that night, she knew she’d regret it in the morning but she was too enthusiastic to go on her adventure. Of course, she knew that chances were that nothing exciting would happen, but at least she would get to go visit Narnia a bit more.

Finally, she heard a knock on her door and the familiar sight of Aaden replaced the wooden door. Her long brown was hair was tied in a knot above her head and she wiped her hands on her dress. Her features were rough, her eyes a cold shade of blue, but Candide knew better than to let that façade judge her. Aaden was probably the nicest girl she’d ever met, and her best friend.

“Princess Candide, what are you doing up?! You’ll be tired today! Oh well, you have to get up and going. Sir Christopher told me to get you up, and that you should hurry.” The girl’s voice was low and soothing, even as she was starting to fuss around to get Candide’s dress ready.

“How many times did I tell you, you don’t have to call me Princess, Aaden.” Candide said while stretching. Her back cracked, and she winced before getting up from her comfortable bed and walking towards the simple dress that Aaden had laid out.

“Yes, I know Princess,” Aaden said stubbornly. “now, since you won’t be meeting King Caspian today, you can just wear a simple dress.”

The young woman flushed red, just as Zahlia scampered towards her. She bent down to pet her, trying to hide her face from Aaden who had a clear smirk on her face.

“It’s quite alright, Miss. The prince is quite gorgeous; you have nothing to be ashamed of.” This only made Candide turn redder, as she slightly slapped Aaden on the shoulder.

“Oh, shush and help me get dressed, will you?”

After the young girl had gotten into her simple dress, made of sturdy material exactly for this kind of occasion, she tied her hair back and walked out of her room. Her things were already packed and saddled, and Candide was quite glad she had thought of that.

Every servant she crossed while she walked down the hall next to Aaden, smiled and bid her a good journey before returning to their jobs. When she got to the main hall, her father was already there talking to a knight. The knight bowed at her when she came in, while her father pulled her into an embrace.

“You be careful now, you hear? Do whatever Sir Christopher tells you to do, and please don’t go putting yourself in danger. There are more qualified people for fighting.”

“I know how to fight, father,” Candide said with a hint of annoyance in her voice. Her father had made her learn how to defend herself with a sword and shield, and now he was saying that she shouldn’t use any of this.

“I know you do, dear. I’m just worried about you, that’s all.” Her father’s tone was protective, and she knew that he was probably reconsidering all this.

“I’ll be fine. In the meantime, try not to ruin this beautiful place. Goodbye, father.” Candide kissed his cheek, hugged him another time and stepped outside. She then turned around to look at Aaden, who was still behind her. The young servant looked sad, although the chances that she would ever admit that were very slim.

“Come on, Aaden. Don’t be like this, you’ll break my heart. I won’t be gone for too long, and I promise I’ll give you all the details when I get back. I wish you could come, though. It would make it more fun.”

Aaden didn’t say anything, but smiled weakly at her friend before throwing herself into her arms. Candide, a bit surprised, hugged back. Seconds later, Aaden drew back, whipping the stray tear that had fallen from her eye.

“Now, go and have fun. Come back soon, though.”

The princess smiled at her before turning around and going to where the horses and men were standing. They were all knights, each of them dressed in armor that probably weighed as much as they did. Candide was glad that she didn’t need to wear it.

Sir Christopher was waiting for her next to her horse, looking a bit impatient. Her horse was white, with a black mane which made him completely unique. She had called him Callisto, which meant ‘most beautiful’ and she had found it fitting. Her father had bought her Callisto when she was only five, and ever since she’d go see him once a day to ride him.

“Ready to go, honey?” She whispered to the horse, while brushing its mane. Casllisto neighed softly, but Christopher ruined it by saying ‘of course’, quite arrogantly. If it weren’t for the fact that he was actually bringing her with him, she would’ve glared at him.

Sighing, Candide climbed on the horse as Christopher came up to her sitting on his own brown horse. He looked very important, with his armor and sword. It sure seemed to help that his face was set into a wide smirk as he joined the princess.

“Ready to set off?” He asked, smugness tainting his voice. Candide ignored this as she smiled while looking towards the West where they were headed. They would have to pass through the forest, but she wasn’t worried only excited.

“Let’s go!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I'm a horrible person for not updating. I have legit reasons though. Okay, maybe just one: Exams.
Yep, I have to study and I apologize.
Sorry it's so short also, but I hope you liked it. (: <3
Comments are loved.