Big Brother.

.001

“So, um,” Alex tried to find the right words. “This is your room. I don’t know how you want it to be decorated, or painted or anything, so, I guess, before your stuff gets here, we could, like, go to Ikea and Lowes and places like that to get some stuff to fix it up a little. Maybe re-paint it? Add a new bed, some furniture, stuff like that? Maybe we could even go to the mall, get you some new clothes, posters or stuff. I mean- ”

Alison cut him off. “Don’t hurt yourself. Let me make a list of everything we’ll need to pick up and Lowes and Ikea, and if I haven’t broken your bank to bad, we can go shopping tomorrow.” She said, putting as much emphasis on the word ‘tomorrow’ as she possibly could.

It was twelve in the afternoon, and they had just gotten off the plane from their parents final resting place, all the way over in England.

A worried look graced Alex’s face. “Are you sure?” He asked.

“Yes Alex, I am. I will be down in no more than thirty minutes. Okay?” She asked, motioning her head to the door way, hoping that he would take the hint and leave. He just nodded, walking out of her new room, giving her the space she wanted.

As he walked down the stairs, his mind flashed back to the day when he learned that, if both of their parents were unable to care for Alison, he was to take over the role of her guardian.

“We all know that the estates, both the ones in Maryland and in England will be sold. That just leaves one more order of business.” Their parent’s lawyer, Mr. John Smith, a plain name for a plain man, Alex thought mildly, said. “What is to happen to Alison?”

The thought of his baby sister, however rarely he saw her, being sent to some home sent Alex reeling. “Mr. Gaskarth, are you aware that, in the case of death of both of your parents, you are requested to take sole custody of Alison?” Mr. Smith asked, looking Alex dead in the eye over the top of his bifocals.

Alex breathed a sigh of relief. “I was unaware of my parent’s plans; however, taking custody of Alison is something I was going to insist upon.”

Mr. Smith nodded, an Alex stood, taking Alison by the arm, leading her out of the office. “Come back Monday to sign the custody documents.” Were the last words Alex heard before the heavy wooden doors slammed shut.

“Are you okay with me taking custody of you?” Alex asked when it dawned on him that she might not want to live with her brother. “I mean, when I tour, you’re going to have to come with me…” He glanced down at her to see her nod her head.

“Better you than people who will treat me like shit.” She mumbled.

He wanted to reprimand her for cursing, but realized that he probably shouldn’t. He was much younger than her when he started cursing, and he figured that if he didn’t allow her to curse, than he and his friends couldn’t curse in front of her.

He didn’t have much of a filter anyway.


“Alex?” She called, and he looked up from his hands, which were placed in his lap as he sat on the couch.

“Hm?”

“I’m ready. Let’s go.” She said, pulling her jacket on.

-

“Your tastes really have changed, haven’t they?” Alex asked, looking at the color choices laid out in front of them. She rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh.

“Yes Alex, my tastes have done a complete three sixty from pinks, to lavenders.” She rolled her eyes. “I like these.” She said, picking out a dark lavender, and a milk white.

“Good choices.” He smiled, and wrapped his arms around her shoulders.

“You know, the circumstances may suck ass, but I’m glad you’re staying with me, baby.” He said, and kissed her forehead.

She smiled sadly as the man mixed her paint. “Thank you, Alex, for taking me in. When I found out, one of the first rational thoughts I had, was where I was going to go. I mean, I love grandma and grandpa, but, living with someone who sees me as fifteen rather than five is good.” She said. “Now, we need to go grocery shopping to. I love you big brother, but I don’t think Pringles, Ramen and beer is a good diet for anyone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
another chapter? i'm on a roll. i'm even working on chapter three.
now, i want three comments before i update again.