Another "X" on Your Calender

I Like Your Face

Image

I saw her. I was fascinated by her; the way she moved ever so slightly, the way she sighed, the way she brushed her hand through her hair. She was alone and so very plain. Her hair was dark, almost black, but the light in the dim coffee shop gave away that it was brown. Her eyes were the same color; almost black but still the timid common brown everyone knew and loved. They danced—her eyes—around the room at the things that lined the walls. The pictures of dogs at counter tops, of little kids on a beach and a woman under an umbrella. The warm coffees shop was quiet except for the two of us. She looked my way and I instantly looked down at the red coffee cup in my hands. I felt my stomach squish as I rose and walked over to her table. She looked at me expectantly, a small smile on her lips. I sat down and cleared my throat.

“The dog one,” I muttered.

“Hm?”

“That’s my favorite one,” I said looking at the picture. She smiled and nodded.

“I like the girl with the umbrella.” I stared at her again and she raised a slender brown eyebrow at me. I stared down at my coffee and cleared my throat. I stuck out my hand without looking up.

“My name’s Greg. I like your face.” She started to laugh and took my hand in hers.

“Nice to meet you, Greg-who-likes-my-face,” she replied as she shook my hand. I looked at her through my hair and smiled a little.