Status: Slowly Active.

Let the Flames Begin

Don't you get the wrong impression

Knowing that I got an interview didn’t make waiting to be interviewed any easier.

I was the sixth person to be called in, and before that, no one spoke at all. In fact, it was silent as death in the patch of interviewees. When my name was called, I bit my lip and walked slowly to the door that led backstage.

The band was sitting on one side of a table and I sat on the other side, placing my drumsticks in front of me and smiling brightly. I was nervous as all hell but they didn’t need to know that.

“Okay, so some routine questions,” Hayley started, “Full name?”

“Andrea May Russo.”

“Nicknames?”

“Most people call me Andy but some people just call me Russo,” I said, shrugging. I ran a hand through my hair and bit my lip nervously. Jeremy flashed me a reassuring smile and gave me a thumbs up. I smiled back, but didn’t feel much less nervous.

The next questions were typical and easy to answer.

“Age?”

“Address?”

“Phone number?”

“Favorite pizza topping?” Jeremy asked. I shot my head over from Taylor and Hayley to look at him. He had a small smirk on his face as I raised my eyebrows and tilted my head in confusion.

“Pepperoni and sausage?” I answered, more like a question than anything else. Taylor chuckled lightly as Jeremy’s face lit up. Hayley snorted and dropped her head in her hands.

“You’re my pizza soul mate!” he yelled, dancing in his seat excitedly. I started laughing and Taylor chuckled.

“We usually just get cheese because not enough people like what he wants and he can’t eat a whole box by himself,” he explained. I nodded.

“I’m in the minority in my friend group too,” I added, feeling slightly less nervous and awkward. After all, they were real life people too. I leaned back in the chair and smiled at them, waiting for the next question.

“How long have you played drums?” Hayley asked. I thought about it for a second.

“I’ve been playing since I was 12. My dad bought me a set when I was in seventh grade and I’ve been playing ever since,” I explained. They all nodded and Hayley wrote something down.

“What kind of music do you listen to and are you currently in a band or other musical obligation?” Hayley read from the paper.

“No, I’m not in a band or anything. I usually listen to alternative and pop-punk but I grew up listening to Zeppelin and I’ll always have a soft spot for The Monkees.”

“I’m in love with you,” Jeremy said suddenly and I jerked my head in his direction. He smiled and then covered his mouth as his two band mates glared down the table at him. I glowed on the inside.

“Are you going to hit on everyone that walks back here dude?” Hayley asked, an amused smile on her features. The glowing stopped and I looked at the ceiling, waiting patiently for the next question.

“Sorry,” he said to me and I nodded my head.

“It’s cool,” I gestured to the shirt, “Part of the job description. I told you everyone wants to bang the drummer.”

They laughed and Taylor grabbed the pen and paper from Hayley. He looked over the packet and grinned up at me. I smiled back shyly. Hayley and Jeremy slowly recovered from their laughing fit.

“Okay, I have one last question that I just made up in my head,” Taylor said. I leaned forward and rested my elbows on the table.

“Shoot.”

“How did you learn our songs so well? It sounded just like, well, it sounded just like Zac,” he said quietly. The other two nodded solemnly and I just leaned back.

It hit me like a train coming at me at full force. I was never too great with emotions, especially keeping them in. Hearing that I was good enough to sound like their original band member forced me to completely breakdown.

I started tearing up. It wasn’t very easy to hide as I was the main focus of attention and this was kind of, well, my party. I wiped at my eyes and tried to blink them back. I sniffled and looked toward the ceiling in an attempt to hide the tears.

“Oh, baby girl, don’t cry,” Jeremy said, he came around the table and hugged me. Hayley and Taylor came and hugged me too. This was probably one of the sweetest things that anyone had really ever done for me when I cried.

“It was a compliment Andy,” Taylor said, pulling away awkwardly and leaning on the table. I let go of Hayley and Jeremy and wiped away my tears, my heart still jumping.

“I know. I’m such a cry baby. It just, it means a lot to me to hear that from you. You’ve been my favorite band for a long time and to hear that I play as well as him, it just, it makes me feel like I’ve really been doing something right in my life.”

They all smiled and Hayley wiped my tears away with her thumb. Taylor and Jeremy exchanged an indecipherable look and I looked down at my lap. I bit my lip and bounced up, all smiles now.

I always recovered quickly from these bouts. I hugged each of them and said my goodbyes. As I walked back past the remaining people waiting for their audition, I liked my chances.

I took my time getting on the streets, getting a coffee before making my way to the bus stop. When I was on the bus heading back to the suburb outside of Franklin that I lived in, it sank in.

I auditioned for Paramore and I had an actual shot at making it.
♠ ♠ ♠
chapter title credit goes to 'boys will be boys' by every avenue.
leave a comment and i'll love you forever.