Status: New story on it's way! Stay tuned.

I Wouldn't Change a Thing

looking back, we were so naive

“Where’s Brooke?” Aunt Jo asked as I slid into the passenger seat of her Ford Focus.

I shrugged. “Probably off with Johnny. She’s kind of obsessed with him,” I answered.

Jo shook her head, a smile on her lips as she pulled out of Nan’s drive and to a destination unknown to me. “So, catch me up,” she started as the light above us turned green. “What’s new in the world of Molly in Seattle?”

I groaned, my head falling into the palm of my hand as my elbow rested on the window frame. “Oh, nothing spectacular. Believe me. Mom thinks I’m a hellion child whose only purpose is to test her at every moment. I don’t think she even pays enough attention to see what is really going on.

“She’s all wrapped up in Brooke. I love Brooke and all, but sometimes I just wished she’d focus on me, you know?” I let out a breath at the end of my rant, letting Jo’s music fill the air between us.

I could feel Jo’s eyes on me as the car slowed as we came to an intersection. “Your mom loves you, too. I know she may not know how to show that sometimes, but believe me, she does.”

I sat up straight, glancing to the driver’s seat. “Oh, I know she loves me,” I responded lamely. “But aren’t parents not supposed to show that they have a favorite child? I know Brooke is her favorite, but why does it have to be so obvious?”

Jo offered a sad smile, either choosing not to answer or not having one. She pulled into an open parking spot along the side of the road. A row of shops lined the street, displays filled with an assortment of clothes, shoes and electronics. “How ‘bout some retail therapy?”

I smiled widely. “You know me so well!”

**

“I told you I would see you around.”

I didn’t have to turn around to put a face to the voice, somehow it was already familiar to me. “I guess you did,” I allowed. My eyes stayed on the rack in front of me as I cursed Jo for leaving me alone in the store, though I knew she was only in the dressing room not fifty feet away.

I thought he had given up talking to me when I stayed silent until he moved to lean against the rack in front of me. “You know, it’s not nice to ignore people,” he commented with a lazy grin.

“I’m not ignoring you.” I crossed my fingers behind me back at the lie, hoping that he didn’t notice.

“Yeah, okay.” He smiled wider. “Hey, Johnny’s mom is going out of town tonight and his dad always let’s a bunch of us stay over. You should come.”

“You’re inviting me to your friend’s sleepover?” I asked, an eyebrow cocked in slight amusement. “Should you, oh I don’t know, ask your friend if that’s okay?”

He shrugged lifelessly. “Nah, we’re practically family, so it’s kind of like my house too.”

I nodded, not understanding his logic.

“Look you don’t have to come if you don’t want to. I just figured since Brooke was going to be there…”

“Wait, wait. Brooke?” I asked a little too loudly. “Since when?” I groaned as I realized that she was probably already there, hanging out with her potential new boyfriend.

Again, he shrugged.

“Oh, Molly, I see you’ve made a friend,” Jo commented as she joined us.

“Not friends,” I said lowly but Cole ignored me, sticking his hand out for Jolene to shake.

“Cole,” he introduced himself. “I’m Johnny’s friend.”

“I knew you looked familiar.”

“I was just inviting Molly over,” he started sending me a smile. I shook my head, either shaking off the feeling his smile stirred in me, denying the invite, or both. I wasn’t quite sure. “Johnny and Brooke are already at his place.”

“Oh, that sounds wonderful! Molly, you should go.” She smiled, subtly urging me with her eyes. “Do you guys need me to drop you off?”

“No, I have my car,” Johnny said before I could protest.

Jolene to the items from my arms. “I’ll just pay for these and drop them off at your grandmother’s. You two have fun.” I couldn’t help but pout as she shooed us toward the exit.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it is on the short side, but it's an update. Right?

Anyway, I am almost finished writing another Alex story called Crystal Ball that I am thinking of posting soon. So you should check that out. And as a treat, I will let anyone who comments or sends me a message (privately or not) the first look at the first chapter. So, I don't know, maybe you should comment? ;) I promise that it is worth it!
Also, I would love to hear your thoughts on this story. I've been getting stuck a lot (hence the lack of updates) and would love some motivation. :D