Not So Invincible

3/3

“Baby,” A whispered voice woke me up from a deep sleep as someone shook my shoulder.

My eyes flickered open as a small groan passed through my lips.

“C’mon, Van! You gotta get up now!”

I knew that voice. I knew that voice so well. My eyes started to adjust to the pitch-black basement as I sat up. When they did, I immediately recognized the hazel eyes staring back at me. “Matt?” I questioned, my eyes widening.

He chuckled quietly as he put his fingers to my lips, shushing me. “We’re getting out of here, Van, okay?”

I nodded eagerly, knowing he had some sort of plan up his sleeve. I looked around and noticed the three security guards lying on the floor in puddles of their own blood, and I knew Matt had shot them. He stood up from the small mattress on the floor that I had been sleeping on, and helped me up as well.

He dropped the duffel bag that was slung over his shoulder and unzipped it quickly. He handed me a pair of work boots to put on as he started loading several different types of guns. After putting on my boots, I took the hair tie that was around my wrist and started to tie my hair up in a messy ponytail, so it wouldn’t get in the way of what we were about to do.

“These guns don’t make any noise, Van, and as quiet as we were trained to be, we should be able to escape easily.” Matt explained to me as he handed me a small handgun. It may have been small, but it could easily kill somebody.

“Okay,” I said, “We can do this.”

He grinned and pressed his lips against mine for a moment before pulling away. “Just remember, I love you, and no one, I repeat no one can touch us.”

“I love you too,” I smiled softly at him as I nodded.

He gave me one last smile, reassuring me everything was going to be okay. After that, he turned and grabbed the bag off the floor and slung it over his shoulder. I knew he had tons of ammo and other guns in the bag for emergency, and that we would need to carry it with us.

“One more thing, baby,” He said, turning to me. “We’re gonna kill Jason before we get out of here.”

He said it as if it was going to be the easiest thing ever, when I knew damn well it wasn’t going to be. My eyes widened as big as they could, wondering in the hell we were going to pull that off.

“Are you insane, Matt?” I questioned him quietly. “You’re just asking for a death wish if we try and kill him. Why can’t we just escape and get out of here?”

“Because, Van, it doesn’t matter if we just escape and leave, and it doesn’t matter if we travel to Florida or anywhere here in America. He will always find us unless we leave the country, which we can’t, because neither of us have a passport.” He explained to me. “You trust me, right?”

“Of course, Matthew, I’ll always trust you,” I nodded.

“Then don’t worry and just follow my lead, and be prepared to kill anyone and everyone who gets in our way.” He told me.

I nodded once more. “Okay, then let’s do this.”

I held my gun tightly as we made our way out of the cell I was being kept in, and up the basement stairs. We were as quiet as mice, seeing as that’s how we were trained. I felt giddy and excited, even though I was nervous as hell. The thought of killing Jason and escaping away from this entire thing had me feeling that way. I didn’t feel any remorse for the idea of killing Jason, seeing as he deserved it. He had killed many, many people over the years, and it was just payback for it all if we were able to succeed.

Matt held his hand up, which was his way of telling me to hold on and stop moving as we got to the door. He pushed it opened really slowly before slipping through and firing his gun. That’s when he motioned for me to come on. I trailed behind him and out the door. Once in the long hallway, we went left, passing by the dead security guard on the floor who Matt had shot in the back of the head. If I weren’t supposed to be so quiet, I would have laughed. I never liked that particular security guard. He was an asshole, and deserved to die as well.

Matt stayed up against the right wall, while I stayed against the left. We moved together, our bodies sliding against the walls. As we reached the end of the hallway, I moved over to Matt’s side in front of him and looked around the corner. A security guard was sunk back against a door, with his eyes closed. I smirked and nodded at Matt to follow me. Once he saw the security guard, a smirk of his own spread over his lips. As we got closer to the man, I fired my gun, and Matt caught him from falling to the floor, not wanting him to make a loud thud. After Matt laid the body down the floor, we were moving again. Most of the place was dark, which was good. It gave Matt and I a better chance of getting past the other security guards and to Jason.

It took Matt and I twenty minutes to get to the staircase, after having to kill at least fifteen security guards. We ducked down in a hallway near the stairs and loaded are guns once more, so that we had enough bullets to get to Jason and then escape for good.

“Ready?” He whispered.

“More than ready,” I nodded.

We both made our way up the stairs as quickly as we could before ducking down at the top. I stayed where I was as Matt rounded the corner and fired four bullets back to back. I got up and followed after him after hearing four bodies fall to the floor. When he glanced back at me, I smiled at him before we continued on our way.

After killing six more security guards, we finally reached Jason’s room. We knew he was dead asleep, considering every night before going to bed; he takes a certain sleeping pill so that he’ll sleep through the entire night. It seemed to me like a stupid thing to do, considering if something went wrong and he needed to get up in the middle of the night, he wouldn’t be able to because he would be passed out.

“Do you want to do the honor, or should I?” Matt whispered to me as we stood outside his door.

“Can I?” I raised an eyebrow, not sure if he would actually let me.

“Sure, baby. Whatever you want,” He nodded. “Let me go in first, though.”

I nodded, letting him know that was fine. He took out a small device that he always used to pick locks with and started toying with Jason’s locked doorknob. I could faintly hear a small click as the lock turned, giving us access into his bedroom. Matt stood up and held his gun tightly in his hand as mouthed a countdown from one to three. Once he reached three he pushed open the door slowly. It creaked slightly, making me cringe from the noise.

Matt stepped inside with me right behind him. The room was dark, and way too quiet. Something wasn’t right. I was just about to grab Matt’s arm and pull him back from going any further, when the lights came on all of the sudden. I swallowed hard, knowing damn well Jason was awake.

“Well, well, well,” Jason said from across the room with a gun if his own pointed right at Matt. “Looks like you two have done quite a bit of damage around here tonight. In a way, I’m sort of proud, Van. I never thought you would have the guts to try and kill me,” He chuckled loudly.

I glanced at Matt who was glaring at Jason, his gun still pointing at him. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen, but I had a feeling one of us weren’t going to make it tonight.

“How about we make a deal?” Jason suggested, raising an eyebrow at Matt and I. “What do you say? You want to hear me out?”

“Why the fuck shouldn’t I just kill you right now?” Matt demanded to know.

I shrunk back slightly, not use to hearing Matt raise his voice. I hadn’t heard him yell in a long time, since we were still working for Jason a year and a half ago.

“Because, in case you haven’t noticed, I also have a gun,” Jason said. “I can kill you just as fast as you can kill me.”

That was more than true. Jason was holding a gun, and he could just as easily kill the both of us right then and there. But I had to keep in mind that Jason hadn’t killed anyone in a long time. Usually he had someone killed by one of his men. So I knew that he wasn’t as trained as Matt and I happened to be.

“I don’t know about you, Matt, but I’m sort of sick of these so called offers.” I spoke next, starring straight at Jason as I held my gun pointed at him.

“I’d have to agree with Van,” Matt nodded. “I’m a little sick of these offers too, but fine, go ahead. Let’s hear this offer of yours, Jason.”

“You can leave, Matt. You’ve worked for me a lot longer than she has, so you can leave and live that normal life you crave for,” Jason said.

“What’s the catch? What about Van?” Matt questioned.

Jason shrugged a smirk forming on his lips. “She stays with me and starts her new job.”

“And what job would that be?” Matt narrowed his eyes.

“That’s none of your business, Matthew,” Jason told him before his eyes looked over at me, his gun still aiming at Matt.

Right as Jason looked over at me, Matt took his chance and fired his gun. Within moments, a bullet was piercing through Jason’s lung, sending him to the ground with a groan.

“I guess you forget one of the rules, which is to never take your eyes off your enemy,” Matt laughed as he stepped towards Jason.

“Watch out, Matt,” I warned him, knowing Jason still had his gun.

“It’s fine, Van. His gun isn’t loaded. It never is,” He assured me, never once taking his eyes off Jason, because he liked to follow that rule just in case.

As Matt approached Jason, I lowered my gun and studied the two of them.

“I’ll see you in hell, you mother fucking bastard,” Jason muttered before coughing up some blood.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever you say,” Matt chuckled as he watched Jason for a minute.

I breathed out, glad that Jason was going to be dead soon. I was convinced that things were finally going to be all right, but I should have known otherwise. Just as we thought it was over, a gunshot was fired from behind me. It was as if time had stopped for about thirty seconds as my eyes followed the bullet and it hit Matt right in the chest near his heart.

As Matt stumbled forward before falling over, I turned around pulled the trigger, killing the random security guard who had just shot Matt. I then ran over to Matt, my heart pounding against my chest as I felt myself panicking. Matt getting shot wasn’t in the plan we had.
I knelt down beside him on the floor as his hand felt the wound. He looked shocked that he had actually been shot. He hadn’t expected that either.

“Matt!” I cried as I pulled my tank top off my body and pressed it against his chest to control the bleeding. “You have to stay with me!”

“Van,” He muttered, grabbing a hold of one of my hands. “You need to get out of here,” He said.

“No,” I shook my head. “I’m not leaving you, Matt,” I told him as my eyes started tearing up.

He struggled to breath for a moment before saying, “You deserve a normal life,” He paused as he coughed up blood like Jason had. “Get out of here and make it out alive, Van. Live your life the way you should. The way I never did.”

I choked back a sob as I laid my forehead against his hand I was holding. “I love you, Matt, and I always will.”

“I love you too,” He groaned, resting his free hand over the tank top I had pressed against his wound.

It was already soaked in blood, so I knew that because of where he was shot, he was dying quicker than Jason. Through my tear filled eyes, I stared at him and watched as his eyes finally closed and his heartbeat became slower and slower until he was gone, just like that.

He was gone for good and I had to get out. I had to leave and go far, far away. As much as it hurt for me to leave him, I knew that it was the best thing to do. I pulled away from his lifeless body and did what he told me to do. I got myself together before pulling on a t-shirt from Matt’s duffel bag and loading my gun for the last time. I glanced back once at Matt and then at Jason who was just as dead, before turning away and escaping from the mess that I was involved in.

I got out of there and I refused to look back. I had never planned on leaving alone if I got a chance to leave at all, but unfortunately I had to. Matt was gone, and I wasn’t sure how I was going to survive without him. All I knew was that I no longer had to worry about Jason. I could leave and I live the life that I had always wanted to live, but I despised the fact that Matt couldn’t be a part of that any longer.

I couldn’t help but constantly think of what Matt had always told me, which was ‘no one can touch us’. I used to believe that with all my heart as long as I was with Matt, but after him being shot just a few feet away from me, I knew that it wasn’t true. It may have been nice to believe, but it was a lie, and I had started to hate that quote. We, as human beings, will never be invincible, even if we’re with our loved ones or not. It just doesn’t work like that, and it never will.

And unfortunately, Matt was not so invincible either.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not sure how I feel about this over all, but I gave it my best shot. (: