Status: Just starting out :)

Encore

Walls

I stepped out of my car, straightening my tank top and skirt, before taking in a deep breath of the ocean air. I smiled over at Payton, who had just done the same thing, before popping the trunk so we could pull our bags out.

It was currently the end of April, and the two of us had decided to spend the next few weeks at her family’s beach house in Virginia Beach. I pulled out my two suitcases, and waited for Payton to get hers, before closing the trunk, and setting the alarm on the car. I followed her up to the familiar house that I had spent numerous summers at, and waited as she fished the keys from her purse. Luckily, they had called someone in to clean last week, so all we had to do was open the windows to get fresh air.

“It’s so weird being here alone,” I said as we walked up the steps to the main level.

“Right? No parents, no siblings, just us and the ocean,” she said smiling, “Which means we get the big rooms!”

“No more twin beds!” I said laughing at her enthusiasm, “Want to put our stuff down then do some exploring?”

“Yeah, let’s get some snowballs or something, I’ve been craving one,” she said over her shoulder as she walked to her room.

I shouted an agreement response, before walking into my room, and putting my luggage by the doors. I opened the big window, and smiled since it looked right over the beach. I scanned all of the people already on the beach, and couldn’t wait to join them tomorrow. I checked my makeup and hair quickly as I walked by the mirror, and walked into the foyer to wait for Payton. She came out moments later, her hair now pulled up, and the two of us made our way outside so we could go to the small boardwalk.

There wasn’t a bunch of people on the boardwalk, considering Spring Break was next week, but there were still enough to make a crowd. Our first stop was at the snowball shop, and I ordered a blue raspberry one, not caring if my lips would be blue in a matter of bites. We walked by a lot of the shops, stopping in to look at what they had to offer, and looked at all of the kiosks set up on the opposite edge of the boardwalk.

“I think I need this,” I said holding up a white and red flowered bikini to Payton, “What do you think?”

“Absolutely,” she said nodding in approval, “Once you get fully tanned, you’ll look smokin’.”

“Why thank you,” I said with a laugh and throwing the hanger over my arm, “Have you found anything?”

“Nah, I think I’m going to get some jewelry from that kiosk from that’s up the walk a ways,” she said following me to the register.

I paid for my swimsuit, almost cringing at the price, and followed Payton to the kiosk she had been talking about beforehand. I played with my phone, replying to the texts I had received earlier, and waited as she picked out more jewelry than one person ever needed. When she was ready to pay, I pushed her out of the way, and passed my card to the worker, much to her protest.

“Happy birthday!” I said as I handed her the bag with everything in it.

“I told you not to get me anything,” she said shaking her head as we walked away, “But thank you best friend.”

“Always baby girl,” I said smiling, “Are we going to continue our tradition and order chinese while watching our favorite movie.”

“Can’t break the tradition,” she said as we walked off the boardwalk, “It wouldn’t be a complete trip without doing so.”

I nodded, and the two of us continued in silence as we walked back towards our house. I heard my phone beep from my bag, and dug my hand in trying to find it. After fishing around for it blindly and having no luck, I pulled my bag in front of me so I could try and find it. I was so wrapped up in finding it, that I didn’t hear the skateboard barreling towards me, or Payton’s yell to watch out.

“What the hell?” I asked as laid face down on the concrete.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” I heard a male voice say from above me, “Are you okay?”

“Other than the fact that everyone saw my goods, and I’m probably bleeding, I’m fine,” I said rolling over and sitting up.

“Let me at least help you clean your knee’s up,” he said motioning towards my dirty and bloody knee’s, “I’m David, by the way.”

“Andi,” I said finally standing up and grabbing my bag, “And it’s fine, really, my house is only a block or so away.”

“You probably want those cleaned, Andi,” Payton said brushing the back of my skirt off, “They are pretty dirty.”

“Exactly, and my house is right here,” David said pointing to the house behind us.

“Okay, thanks,” I said following him up the walkway to the house almost identical to the one we were staying in.

“So what brings you to Virginia? You’re accents don’t sound familiar,” he said opening the door for us.

“Vacation for her birthday,” I said pointing to Payton, “And you’re right, we’re from Rhode Island.”

“Well happy birthday,” David said with a smile towards Payton, “Just sit at the table, and I’ll go get the first aid kit.”

I nodded, and sat on one of the wooden chairs, Payton on my right. We started talking aimlessly, and I looked up when I heard footsteps approaching. I was almost positive that my jaw had dropped all the way to the floor, and so had the person ‘s staring back at me.

“You!” we said in unison, “What are you doing here?”

“I’m staying in this house,” he said still staring at me, “What are you doing in here?”

“David ran over me, and is cleaning my knee’s up,” I said pointing to my legs.

“Uhm, did I miss something?” Payton said looking between the two of us.

“Payt, this is Cameron, that guy from New York,” I said hoping she’d know what I was talking about.

“Oh, wow, awkward,” she said raising her eyebrows.

I just nodded, and prayed that David would come back in soon. He appeared moments later, a white box in his hand, and started introducing us to Cameron. We explained that we had already met, and he did the same thing Payton had by calling it awkward.

“Well, thank you for the awesome SpongeBob Band-Aid’s, and the clean cuts, but I’m afraid we must go,” I said standing up, “Hope you guys have a fun trip.”

“Likewise, maybe we’ll see you around?” Cameron asked as they walked us to the door.

“More than likely,” I said with a smirk and eyebrow raise, “Bye boys.”

They just waved, and I could feel Payton’s gaze on me as we walked down the sidewalk. I tried ignoring it, hoping she would drop whatever was on her mind, but quickly got annoyed with her.

“Stop staring at me, you’re freaking me out,” I said as we started up our walk.

“Since when did you become such a maneater?” she asked causing me to laugh, “I saw the way you toyed with that boys emotions back there. Wasn’t he just a one night stand?”

“The best one night stand,” I said with a stern look, “And hey, why not toy with him. Gives me something to do when I’m bored, right?”

“Uh, I’m here to hang out with!” she said flopping onto the couch, “Unless you can find me a man, then there’s no way you’re ditching me for one.”

“I’m sure David would be glad to entertain you,” I said causing her to blush, “Oh David! Thanks David! Bye David!”

She playfully hit me in the arm as I mocked her, and told me to order the damn food. I obliged, easily finding my phone this time, and found the contact for our regular Chinese place. I gave them our order, unchanged since middle school, and gave them my card number to pay.

“The food will be here in 20 minutes, so we’ll put on PJ’s, find the movie, and wait to start the movie. Sound good?” I told Payton as I hung up.

She nodded, and started off to her room, leaving me to go to mine. I found a pair of shorts, and an old baggy shirt on the top of my suitcase, and slid them on, before pulling my hair up messily. I walked out to find Payton tweaking the tv, and smiled as the menu for Pretty In Pink popped up. We waited patiently, not before grabbing a hard cider from the fridge, and hit play almost instantly after the chinese food arrived.

The whole night we quoted the movie, and drank more, while laughing continuously. When we separated to go to bed, I couldn’t help but to know that it was going to be an interesting few weeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Beach House

Andi

also, I know nothing about Virginia Beach, so I'm making it all up hahah.