La Gaudière

one

Somewhere in the darkness, a flame flickered to life.

The dim light illuminated a small cabin of a ship. Stacks of boxes blocked the candlelight, casting ominous shadows throughout the room. The whole room rocked with the waves, creaking as the ship sailed on.

Two figures sat on upturned crates. One was much bigger than the other. The larger one was shrouded in the darkness, but the smaller's face was in clear view. He was a young man, no more than twenty-one. His features were pleasant and pleasing to the eye; in other circumstances, he would be considered very handsome. But his green eyes held a pained look that did not fit his face at all.

"Kill them all." The larger figure spoke with a deep, smooth voice that would lead anyone to trust him. Yet his words were not to be trusted.

The young man said nothing and only nodded.

The older man continued. "If they beg, do not listen. Have no mercy."

He nodded again, never speaking. The man extinguished the fire and the boy stood up. He had, of course, been listening to the older male, but only three words stuck in his mind.

Kill them all.
♠ ♠ ♠
First thing I've written in what seems like forever. Not sure how I feel about it, but let's see how it goes.