Ice and Fire

.004 - The Search Party Has Arrived - Jepha

Fire.

‘This was what it feels like to kill…’ he thought, watching the Ferris wheel burn. His artistic eye longed for a photograph in evidence. Licks of fire were tossed like red glitter into the air by the winds, caught forever in the glue of the clouds. The screams were almost muffled, forgotten. His eyes drifted shut slightly, in a lusted manner.

“Fucking HELP me someone!”

Jeph glanced upward, only to be caught, like a deer in headlights. A young blonde male locked eyes with his Jepha’s.

“The fuck you looking at? Help me!”

Jepha was caught in a split decision, did he stay and help or did he turn away, successfully killing them all, as intended.

“Please!” the voice called, weaker, constricted by the smoke.

Stay, he chose, surprising himself. He had no idea why he felt the need to help. He looked around for something to help them. The ground was bare; there was little way of helping him. The man’s cart was only 8 or so meters above the ground.

“I can’t! You’re going to have to jump!” Jepha near screamed, fighting to be heard above the flames.

He ran closer to the blazing wheel. The heat radiated in strong waves, almost knocking him back. Tears pricked in his eyes as he struggled to keep them open. Jeph looked up to the cabin once more. Pain stung in his heart: the man had barely seconds left to get out, he was pressed against the cabin wall, as far from the flames as possible. This would never work.

“Jump! You’ll be fine!”

The distance between the ground and the cart were closing. Jepha could read the fear in the man’s face. He fought to keep eye contact.

“Look, I’ll fucking catch you, just fucking jump!” he yelled, holding his arms outstretched.

The man finally got the message, clambering onto the ledge of the cart, before pausing again. He glanced once more back into the flames before leaping for the ground.

As Jeph lay, aching beneath the other man’s body, he wondered what exactly drove him to save this one person. He didn’t have long to think, however, Quinn lifted himself up after only seconds.

“Holy shit!” he muttered, running a grimy hand through his dirty blonde hair. His other arm wrapped closely around his knees as his vacant eyes focused on the distance.

Jeph too pulled himself up to a sitting position. He knew all too well that pretty soon the little Hampshire Island would be crawling with police. He needed to get out. He put a finger through each of his flesh tunnels and pulled down. A pain seared through his earlobe and Jepha grimaced, he needed to feel some sort of pain. Embers fell like glitter at their feet.

He got to his feet and brushed off his hands, immediately sticking it out to the man rocking by his feet. The blonde man ignored the hand completely, leaving Jepha hanging.

“Look, man, I need to get out of here and fast, you coming or what?”

No reply.

Jepha shrugged and turned to move away. He couldn’t just leave the man though, he had just been crushed for no reason otherwize. Turning back to face the man, he scooped him up from under the armpits and dragged him away.

Beside him, Quinn stumbled along, his eyes still not really seeing what was around him. His sparkling eyes were matted and the mocha brown had turned the color of stagnant water. He let himself be dragged by Jepha. His feet hit rocks over and over again as he half limped and was half pulled over the shore.