Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (10)

I dragged my suitcase over to my bedroom door and down the stairs, into my living room, by the front door. I let it drop, panting from exertion.

I went back to my room, getting dressed. I threw on my black skinny jeans, a dark blue v-neck shirt, and my favorite grey, oversized, zip up hoodie.

I brushed my teeth and went through my whole morning routine like usual, and then went back downstairs to say goodbye to my mom. Zeke would be here any minute.

“Be safe.” My mom said in a stern tone.

“I will.” I reassured.

“Make sure to get enough to eat, I know you’ll be doing a lot of physical activity, and I don’t want you to pass out.” She said.

“I will.” I sighed.

“Make sure-” My mom was cut off by the doorbell.

I ran over to it to answer it, and came face to face with Zeke. He was grinning, and I could see his running truck behind him.

“Hi Zeke.” I said.

“You ready?” He asked.

“One second.” I said, turning around and walking toward my mom. I gave her a quick hug and kiss, turning back to Zeke to see him easily carrying my black orange suitcase to his truck, and putting it in the back.

I turned back to my mom, waving one more time before running out the door before she could catch me and hug me again.

I closed the door behind me and carefully walked to Zeke’s car, not wanting slip and injure myself before I was about to have so much fun.

I opened the passenger door and slid into the warm, cushy seat. Zeke gripped the wheel and turned to me.

“Ready?” He asked again.

“Ready.” I answered.

He stepped on the gas pedal, and off we went.

“Who’s house are we going to first?” I asked.

“Andrew’s.” He answered simply.

We drove the familiar streets to Andrew’s house, then Mindy’s. As soon as she stepped into the truck, the fun began.

“Hi, Mindy.” Andrew said, grinning.

“Hi.” She said shyly.

Zeke turned the radio on, and a My Chemical Romance song blasted through the car. I grinned and listened to the words that I had come to know, listening to it almost everyday when I went through my My Chemical Romance phase.

Came a time
When every star fall brought you to tears again
We are the very hurt you sold
And what's the worst you take (worst you take)
from every heart you break (heart you break)
And like the blade you stain (blade you stain)
Well I've been holding on tonight

What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight
And if you carry on this way
Things are better if I stay
So long and goodnight
So long and goodnight

Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide?

By the end I even started singing and when it ended I saw in the rear-view mirror that Andrew and Mindy were staring at me, open-mouthed. Then I looked to my left and saw that Zeke was stealing glances in my direction.

“What?” I asked, eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

“You’re voice…” Mindy tried to explain.

I blushed. “Sorry, I know I stink at singing, but I really liked that song.

“No, you don’t understand. You were good.” Andrew said.

“Like really good.” Zeke corrected.

“Um…thanks.” I said. People always told me that I was a good singer, but most of the time I figured they were just placating me, or trying to make me feel better. I even doubted my friends, just now. But I don’t hear myself the way other people hear me.

“Are we there yet?” I heard Andrew ask from the back.

“No.” Zeke replied simply.

“How much longer?” Andrew whined.

“About 4 hours.” Zeke said.

Andrew sighed.

“What?” Zeke asked, sounding a bit irritated.

“I’m bored.” Andrew said.

“You’ve got your girlfriend back there.” I said suggestively.

“Yeah, like I’m gonna do anything with you staring at us through the rear view mirror like that.” Andrew said.

“I am not.” I argued.

“You’re jealous!” He exclaimed.

“Of what?” I asked in a bored tone.

“Our relationship. You totally want a boyfriend.” He said. I saw Zeke smirk out of the corner of my eye.

“You and me are the only single ones on this trip.” Zeke said.

“I know.” I replied.

“I’m still bored.” And stated from the back.

“What do you want me to do about it?” Zeke asked, his irritation back.

“Let me drive.” Andrew said.

“No.” Zeke argued.

“Why not?” Andrew asked.

“Do you not recall what happened to you about a week ago?” Zeke asked. I grimaced. I sure did and I would never forget.

“Yeah, but there was a deer in the road and it was dark.”

“I don’t care about the circumstances. What if a deer jumps into the road while you’re driving?”

“Then I’ll stop. I know what my mistake was. Please just let me drive!” Andrew pleaded.

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Please?”

“Fine! If I let you drive, will you leave me alone?” Zeke gave in.

“Well, yeah. I won’t have anything to bug you about.”

“Okay.” Zeke sighed.

“Chinese fire drill!” Andrew announced.

“But can’t you and I just switch?”

“I don’t want you back there with my girlfriend!” Andrew said.

“Great.” I groaned. “I’m stuck with Zeke again.” I joked.

“I’m the one who invited you!” Zeke mocked hurt.

I sighed as we pulled into a McDonalds®. Zeke parked and unlocked all our doors, turning the truck off. I unbuckled myself and opened the door. I stepped on the icy running board and slipped, flying out onto the hard snowy ground, face first. I just laid there for a second, letting the ice numb my sore body. I felt warmth on my waist, and then the ground shifted from underneath me. I looked behind me to see Zeke’s bright blue eyes as he helped me to my feet.

“Thanks.” I mumbled.

“I should have known you wouldn’t have been able to get out of the car and walk to the other door without hurting yourself.” Zeke chuckled.

“Very funny.” I said sarcastically.

“I thought it was.”

Zeke helped me over to the other car door and made sure I didn’t slip on the icy running board again. I got into my seat and buckled myself. I shut the door, shivering uncontrollably. A moment late Zeke got into the car, shutting the door, and buckling his seat belt.

He turned to me, probably to make fun of me for my earlier incident, but then he stopped.

“Are you okay?” He asked.

“I’m just a l-little cold.” I said.

“The heat is already full blast.” Mindy informed us from the front as we exited the McDonald’s parking lot.

“I’ll be warm in a few minutes.” I said, my teeth no longer chattering.

“How are you going to ski if you can’t even get out of the car without slipping?” Andrew asked.

“I’ll be keeping a close eye on her.” Zeke said. A smirk slipped onto his face. “I have a feeling we’ll be spending a lot of time together this week.” Zeke winked.

“Gross.” Mindy said, watching us in the rear view mirror. Even though I hadn’t done anything, I felt myself starting to blush.

A shiver wracked through my body, and I rubbed my hands up and down my arms, trying to get warm.

Before I knew what was happening, Zeke was unzipping my sweatshirt, taking it off me, and then placing his own over me. I looked at him, and was about to protest when the GPS in the front of the car gave a direction, scaring the bejesus out of me. I jumped, earning a curious look from Zeke.

“I didn’t realize there was a GPS in the car.” I explained.

He chuckled softly to himself. “You were sitting up front for over and hour.” He pointed out. “You didn’t even see the GPS?” He asked.

“I’m pretty sure that’s what I just said.” I said, annoyed.

“What were you looking at then?” Zeke pressed.

Before I had time to defend myself, Andrew cut my thought process off. “She was making googly eyes at you.” He said.

I shrank back into my seat.

“What not!” I argued.

“Someone’s defensive.” Zeke smirked.

“Well so what if I was making googly eyes at you?” I asked. “What would you do about it?”

“I’d probably do this.” Zeke said, leaning into my face. He leaned closer, and closer until our noses were inched apart, making my heart rate accelerate. He took a stay chunk of hair in my face, and pushed it behind my ear. When I thought he was going to kiss me, he yanked on the hair that was between his fingers. A sharp pain appeared on the top of my head, and I pushed Zeke back, turning to the window. “Aw, did you want me to kiss you?” He cooed.

“No.” I grumbled, watching the cars fly by us.