Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (9)

“I invited the Harris’s over for dinner.” My mom told me.

“Why didn’t you tell my earlier?” I asked.

“It hadn’t crossed my mind until now.” She said.

My little 6 year old sister, April, came over to me and tugged on my pant leg. She stared up at me with her big brown eyes that would make anyone melt.

“Is your girlfriend coming over?” She asked.

“I don’t have a girlfriend.” I told her, chuckling a little.

“Yes you do.” She argued.

“And who would that be?” I asked, crouching down to her level.

“That girl you talk about all the time.” She said.

“I don’t talk about any girl all the time.” I said, confused.

“Yes you do.” My mom cut in, taking the roast out of the oven and setting it on the kitchen table.

“Who?”

“That girl I invited over.” She said. “What’s her name…Kayla? Kaylee? Karly?” She thought.

“Cara, mom.” I said slightly irritated.

I heard the door bell ring and immediately started sprinting toward the door. I opened it and my eyes met Cara’s. She looked so…different. But in a good way. Her body was usually hidden under oversized sweatshirts. Now she was wearing a sweater-thing that clung to her body and showed it off so well.

“Hi.” She responded shyly.

I gestured for her and her mom to come in and they did. My mom came out and Mrs. Harris gladly started helping my mom get everything set up, leaving me alone with Cara.

“How come you didn’t tell me earlier that your mom was inviting us over for dinner?” She asked.

“I just found out a few minutes before you got here, actually.” I explained.

April came into the room, standing right next to me.

“Hi, are you Zeke’s girlfriend?” She asked.

I glared at my little sister, who didn’t even look embarrassed that those words had escaped her mouth.

Cara cocked an eyebrow at me.

“She isn’t my girlfriend.” I told April.

She looked up at Cara. “You’re pretty.” She said. Cara looked taken aback by this, as if no one had ever told her that. Then she blushed.

“Thank you. I think you are quite the pretty one yourself.” She responded when she was done being embarrassed.

April hid behind my leg, but peered out at Cara who was looking around curiously.

“Do you-” I was cut off by my mother.

“Come, children! Dinner is ready!” She yelled.

I sighed, but grabbed April’s hand and motioned for Cara to follow me.

Cara’s POV

I followed Zeke into his dining room. He had the cutest little sister. I was so jealous.

Zeke pulled out a chair for April, then the one next to it, and motioned for me to sit. He then pulled the chair that was at the head of the table and sat.

“Would you like something to drink?” Zeke’s mom asked me.