Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (15)

“My mom is going to be so mad. I promised her I’d be safe.” I told Zeke.

We were on our way home from the E.R. My arm was broken, as I had assumed. They had to put a cast on it. Luckily, they chose orange, my favorite color, instead of some extremely girly color, like pink.

“Well, you can’t keep accidents from happening. And I mean you, like especially you.” Zeke joked.

“Well I guess this means no more skiing for me.” I said, rubbing my fingers absentmindedly over my cast.

“That doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing.” Zeke said.

“How could it possibly be a good thing?” I challenged. “We came here to ski. Everyone else will be at the slopes all day while I’m stuck at the cabin, all alone.” I fake pouted.

“You won’t be alone.” Zeke corrected. “You’ll have me. We can do whatever we want while everyone is out skiing.”

“I don’t want to ruin your trip. You should be out skiing with everyone else.” I argued. “I’m not particularly exciting, if you hadn’t noticed. Skiing would probably be more fun than sitting at the cabin with me all day.”

“I completely disagree with that last statement.” Zeke said. “Do you think I’d be friends with you if I thought you were some boring loser?”

“You probably felt bad for me when we were kids, so you hung out with me. Then when I came back, you did the same.” I guessed.

“Guess again.”

“You like me for my looks?” I joked. I had a weight problem almost my whole life, and I had never been asked out. I was just a loser with a few close friends, so it felt kind weird to say that.

“Well, your looks are certainly a plus, but no.” I blushed. “I hang out with you because you have the ability to make me smile. You could lighten the mood even if there was a ticking bomb in the back of this truck. I think it’s funny how easy it is to make you blush.” He said. My face turned a deeper shade of red.

“Oh.” Was all I could say. The rest of the ride was silent. But it wasn’t awkward. More like peaceful. I let my thoughts completely take over my mind and I stared off out the window, zoning out.

What seemed like moments later, Zeke was nudging me out of my thought. I snapped out of it, and came back to reality.

“You okay?” He asked.

“Yeah, I just zoned out. Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize.” He chuckled. “We’re here.”

“Oh, okay.” I said, opening the door with my right hand, afraid to use my left one.

Zeke and I approached the door together, and I was dreading it. I was almost positive Andrew would attack me or something. We got to the door and everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at us. Andrew stared Zeke down from across the room, then made his way over to us.

“I thought you were going to keep an eye on her and keep her safe.” He said, angrily.

“I tried.” He said, looking my way in despair.

“It wasn’t his fault.” I told Andrew. “He told me to stay on the beginner slope, but I didn’t listen. I wasn’t looking were I was going and I hit a huge rock.”

Andrew’s face softened. “I’m sorry Zeke, I didn’t know.”

“It’s cool.” Zeke assured.

Mindy came to Andrew’s side and shot me a worried look. “Are you okay?” She asked.

“Well, my arm hurts, but I think I’ll live.” I cracked a smile.

“If you want, I can stay at the cabin with you while everyone skis.” She offered.

“Nah, I’ve got that covered.” Zeke smirked.

“Ooh la la.” Andrew said in a girly voice.

“Oh, shut up.” I said. “We’re just gonna watch some movies or something.”

“Sure.” Andrew said. “Because, you’d have the cabin to yourselves. That’d be the perfect time for a secret make-out session.” He chuckled.

My face flamed. “Oh, come on. She’s too much of a goody-goody girl to make out with me.” Zeke said.

“I was just kidding.” Andrew said, ruffling my hair. I glared at him.

“Well, I’m going to bed now. Goodnight.” I said to everyone.

“Don’t be a party pooper!” Some guy yelled at me. “We’re having a bonfire.”

I perked up. I loved bonfires. “Really?” I asked.

He nodded his head and motioned me toward him. I walked over to him, cautiously.

“Hi, I’m Travis.” He said.

“Cara.” I replied.

“I know.” He said. I cocked an eyebrow at him. “Zeke introduced you when you guys first got here.”

“Right.” I nodded, blushing furiously.

“I just wanted to introduce myself. It’s been two days and we haven’t talked. I thought we might even become friends or something.” He said. “We go to the same school after all.”

“I’ve never see you at school though.” I said.

“Well, then I guess I’ll have to rectify that.” He said. “We have lunch together, you know.”

“Oh.” I thought about if I had seen him in the lunch room before. “We should totally sit together.” I said in a fake girly voice.

“Let me introduce you to my girlfriend.” He looked around the room, then called, “Erin, come over here.”

A pretty girl with long dark hair and a perfect complexion came our way.

“Hi.” She waved at me excitedly.

“Hi.” I smiled. It was nice to have someone so enthusiastic to talk to.

“I’ve been wanting to talk to you. You seem really nice.” She giggled.

“Um…thanks.” I said. “You too.”

She looked down and giggled more.

“Come on everyone!” Oliver yelled. “Outside for the bonfire!”

I walked across the room and out the open door, following behind Zeke.