Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (18)

A few days passed and Oliver was released from the hospital. Everything was back to normal, and we decided today would be the day to exchange presents. I had only bought Zeke, Andrew, and Mindy presents because I didn’t know what anyone else would want. I talked to the other girls about this and they said it was fine because they didn’t get me anything either. That was a relief.

“Come on Cara.” Zeke barked. “Out of bed. Now!” He demanded.

“No.” I groaned. I had been up late the past few nights because I had caught a really bad cold from sleeping outside for who knows how long. My nose was stuffed and my face felt like it was about to catch fire.

“Fine.” Zeke sighed in defeat. “If I get you your medicine, then will you get up?” He asked.

“Yes please.” I said, rolling over onto my stomach and smooshing my cheek into the pillow, I let out a violent cough. The stupid cough made my head throb painfully. I clutched my head desperately in my hands and willed it to stop.

A moment later I felt a tap on my back. I flipped over on my back and Zeke was watching me with worry. He handed me a glass of water and small pink pill. I took it with my right hand because my left was pretty hard to use, with my cast restricting my movement, and smiled gratefully at Zeke. I sipped the water and held it in, slipping the pill in my mouth. I swallowed it, the pill leaving behind a foul taste. I took a few more sips of my water and set the glass on the nightstand next to me. I pushed the covers off myself and swung my feet over the side of the bed. I slid off and my bare feet touched the cold wooden floor. At that moment I really just wanted to pull myself back under the warm comfort of the comforters and go back to sleep, but I fought it. I pushed myself up off the bed and stood up straight. I immediately felt dizzy and wobbled in my standing position. Zeke placed a hand on each of my arms and steadied me.

“You okay?” He asked, his eyebrows knit together in worry.

“I’m fine. Just a little dizzy is all.” I explained.

“Lets go exchange presents and then you can go back to bed, okay?” Zeke asked taking his hands off my arms and instead wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I leaned against him for support and we journeyed into the living room. I didn’t even care I was still in my pajama’s. Almost everyone else was in their’s as well.

Zeke and I sat on the couch and I brought my knees to my chest and lazily leaned my head on Zeke’s shoulder. He returned his arm to it’s position wrapped around my shoulders.

Oliver came into the living room clad in plaid pajama pants and a grey t-shirt, Soph following behind him with bed head. But she pulled it off well, as she did anything. They went and sat together on the floor in front of us, as there was only one couch and Zeke, Andrew, Mindy, and I were taking it up. Jordan came in and sat on the floor next to them and Crystal sat in the lonely arm chair. I felt bad for her, having to sleep with her ex. And I felt bad that I caused the trouble.

Travis and Erin came into the living room sitting in front of me and Zeke, their backs against the couch, then Justin and Randi beside them.

“Alright everyone, present time!” Oliver announced. He had been acting as if he hadn’t just been in the hospital for alcohol poisoning. I guess it just doesn’t take that much out of you.

I would have offered to help pass out presents, but at the moment the whole world was spinning around me. I dismissed it, and held my head until the spinning stopped.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Zeke whispered rubbing his hand up and down my arm.

“I’m fine.” I assured. He shot me a doubtful look but I ignored it. I was going to enjoy the rest of my trip.

A small, shiny, red package was placed in front of me, then a sparkly pink bag with white tissue paper spiked up out of it. And lastly a box with snowmen dancing in blue snow was placed on me, due to the limited space. I looked around and it seemed like everyone else had their presents. There were none left under the tree.

“Okay everyone. Go ahead and open your presents.” Oliver said. He hadn’t even finished before the sounds of ripping paper and laughter started up. I shrugged and opened my own presents. I opened Andrew’s first. It was a MCR concert shirt. Then on to Mindy’s; a lotion and body wash kit. Lastly I opened Zeke’s. I slid my pointer finger under the tape and lifted up, exposing the small velvet box. I pulled it out and lifted the lid to the box. Inside was a silver ring with two flowers on it, leaves coming off them.

Zeke had probably realized I had open his present because he turned to me and smiled.

“I wish I’d have gotten you something better than The Guinness Book of World Records.” I sighed.

“It’s perfect.” He assured. “I get the new one every year, but this year, I couldn’t find one.”

“Wow, I guess that worked out perfectly then, huh?”

“Yeah, how do you like the ring?” He asked.

“It’s beautiful!” I exclaimed.

“I thought you’d like it.” He smiled. “Here, let me put it on you.”

I nodded in ‘okay’ and handed him the box, extending my hand to him with spread fingers. He took the ring out of the box and put it on my right ring finger. I examined it, and realized that now two of my guy friends had given me jewelry. See Cara, no big deal. It’s just a friendly thing, I told myself. Unless they both liked me. Impossible.

“Were you jealous of Nate?” I asked.

“No…w- why would you think that?” Zeke stuttered.

“You were!” I exclaimed at him. “You were jealous that I wear Nate’s necklace every day, and now you want me to wear this ring.” I laughed to myself.

“So?” He asked. “Can’t I be a little jealous?”

“What is there to be jealous of, it’s not like we’re dating.” I challenged.

Zeke muttered something under his breath that I didn’t quite catch.

“What?” I asked.

“It doesn’t matter.”

“I’m going back to bed.” I told him, getting up and leaving him staring out into space.