Status: Done! Please comment! Working on the sequel!

Just a Girl

Just a Girl (19)

By the time we arrived back at my house it was already around 2 in the morning and I was taking off for New Jersey tomorrow. We dropped Andrew and Mindy off first then parked at Zeke’s house, since we were next door neighbors. I cautiously stepped out of the car, cold air seeping through my clothes.

Zeke opened the back door of the van and helped me get my suitcase out. I reached for it, but he shook his head at me.

“I’ve got it.” He told me.

“I can get it. You can get yours and go inside. It’s freezing out here.” I argued.

“I’m fine, it’s you I’m worried about.” He said, taking his suitcase out of the van and setting it on the ground. He shut the back door and started toward my house.

“You excited to see your dad?” He asked.

“How’d you know about that?” I asked.

“Mothers like to gossip.” He shrugged.

“Mhm…” I said doubtfully.

“Well…this was going to be a surprise…” He looked down.

“But?” I urged him to finish.

“Your mom talked to my mom and they thought it would be good for me to go with you.” He turned to me. “I mean, it’s a two day road trip. It’d be good to have someone with you.”

“Great.” I muttered under my breath.

“I’m not trying to intrude on your family time or anything, but my mom was adamant that I go with you, and your mom too.”

“It’s okay.” I sighed. “It would be pretty boring to take a two day road trip all by myself.” I admitted.

“I really want to meet this brother of your too.”

“Why?” I asked.

“Just curious.”

“I’m surprised you haven’t met him before, like when we used to live here.”

“I saw him, but never actually met him.”

“Well-” I stopped dead in my tracks and let out a violent sneeze.

“You okay?” Zeke asked. “Your cold still hasn’t gone away, has it?”

“No…”

“You told me you were all better!”

“I lied.” I shot him a sheepish smile.

Before I knew it we were walking up my driveway.

“Bye.” Zeke said, handing me my suitcase. “See you tomorrow. Make sure to get some rest.”

I rolled my eyes. “I will, mother.” I laughed. “Bye.” I one-arm-hugged him with my broken arm since my good one had my suitcase in it. His arm lingered around my waist for a little too long for comfort. I shook it off and waved goodbye.

When I entered my house the warm air welcomed me. I noticed my mom sitting at the kitchen counter with her green robe on and a white mug in her pale hand.

“What are you still doing up?” I asked.

“Waiting for you.” She said, setting her mug down and pushing away from the counter. She got up and quickly walked over to me. “What happened to your arm?”

“I broke it…”

“I can see that!”

“I broke it skiing.” I explained. “I didn’t listen to Zeke, and I hit a rock and went flying.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this when we talked on the phone?”

“I-I-” I let out another violent sneeze that turned into a cough. “I didn’t want you to worry.” I continued.

“I’m your mother.” She shot me a stern look. “What kind of a damn parent would I be if I didn’t worry?!” She whisper-yelled.

“Not a very good one, I guess.”

“Exactly.”

“I’m tired.” I yawned. “I’m going to bed.”

“Goodnight.” She hugged me. “Get some sleep.”

I sauntered up to my room tiredly. I changed into some sweatpants, flopped down in my bed, and I was out like a light.

***

“Cara!” I heard a faint voice call through my door.

“Go away!” I tried to shout, but it just came out as a groggy mumble.

“I will break this door down!” The voice, I realized was Zeke’s, shouted.

“It’s unlocked.” I heard my mom yell from downstairs.

“Oh.” Zeke laughed. My door flung open and my sheets were abruptly ripped off me, goose bumps rising on my exposed flesh.

“Hey!” I protested.

“Get up. We have to get going.” Zeke said. “I’ll get out while you get dressed, but you need to hurry.” He said, exiting my room.

The cold had woken me up, my eyes no longer sensitive to the light. I got out of my bed and walked over to my dresser. I pulled out a pair of light blue, distressed skinny jeans, a loose blue top and a pair of socks. I got dressed and hurried downstairs, pulling on my converse and my grey sweatshirt. Zeke met me by the door with my suitcase in hand. I grabbed it from him and found my mom.

“Bye mom.” I said, hugging her.

“Bye.” She kissed my cheek and ruffled my hair when she pulled away.

Zeke and I rushed out of the house and into his van.